• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater anglia medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishonour

Hey guys, I've recently passed my assessment and interview and I now have a medical. I'm just wondering what's involved it's a relief worker doing train dispatch etc so I'm just wondering what's involved in the medical? Cheers guys

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Z12XE

Drug (swab in mouth when I had mine)
Alcohol (breathaliser)
Colour Blind (the numbers in dots)
Hearing Test (pressing a button when hearing sounds)
Eye sight (as per Opticians)

DmanPoppet

Possibly also add performing various movements, as requested. Things like putting your arms out and rolling your head/neck.

Last edited:

First class

Established Member
Drug (swab in mouth when I had mine)
Alcohol (breathaliser)
Colour Blind (the numbers in dots)
Hearing Test (pressing a button when hearing sounds)
Eye sight (as per Opticians)

Never understood the breath test at medicals. A lot of TOCs don't bother anymore, because it makes no difference IMO.

You're not on duty, less employed, so how can they enforce an alcohol restriction?

Once employed its understandable, but pre employment, I think its a bit OTT.
Drug testing is fair enough.

carriageline

Established Member
Never understood the breath test at medicals. A lot of TOCs don't bother anymore, because it makes no difference IMO.

You're not on duty, less employed, so how can they enforce an alcohol restriction?

I have always wondered that. The only thing it could *possibly* pick up on is an alcohol problem, IE if you are ****ed for the medical, then you must either be stupid or dependant on alcohol

chrishonour

So do I have to mention any prescriptions I'm on? I'm a little worried about taking my anti depressants in just incase they think i'm unstable, fact is i am stable and will soon be coming off them.

Last edited:

DmanPoppet

Honesty is the best policy. They will almost certainly take a urine sample. When I had my medical the letter asked for me to bring all current medication with me. Before I gave the sample they took details of any medication or supplements I was taking.

Hope this helps.

chrishonour

Honesty is the best policy. They will almost certainly take a urine sample. When I had my medical the letter asked for me to bring all current medication with me. Before I gave the sample they took details of any medication or supplements I was taking.

Hope this helps.
Cheers it does help. How long do the medicals last?

DmanPoppet

On the day, around 2-3 hours. It goes pretty quick and around 45mins of that is waiting to see a doctor at the end. It takes so long as all info needs to be recorded on forms etc.
If you meant how long are they valid for, I think it's 3 years but I may be wrong.

W230

Established Member

I wondered the same though I was told a story of someone who turned up far too early for their medical and was sent off for a couple of hours to come back later. He went and had a couple of pints in a local and failed the alcohol intoxilyser procedure. Pretty unfortunate if true!

While I agree it is totally unenforceable, a medical while in the job is in duty time. And if you turned up stinking of booze they could wonder whether you had a problem with alcohol. Though you'd be a pretty good functioning alcoholic to pass all the tests and interviews... :lol:

chrishonour

so is there a dress code for a medical or can i got casual it doesn't seem like i should suite up

DmanPoppet

I Went jeans and Tshirt, but went to all other assessments in a suit. I was the same thinking as you, the suit being overkill.

Maybe go half way and trousers/shirt, no tie.

chrishonour

I might go in the same thing I don't really have any other shirts that go without a suit. I'm so nervous mostly because of the tablets I don't have any side effects and I'm coming off them soon, but I just get really worried that they'll fail me for it.plus now I have a bit of a cold :( NERVOUS!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So I went for my medical today, and I told them I am on medication and thy have asked my GP for a statement and to say whether I'm fit for work etc which I believe I am and know I am! So I now feel like its 50/50 :/

Status
Not open for further replies.