• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Can 86s like one did for Hull Trains IIRC? 88s? 68s but that's diesel under wires?

Not that I think any will because training and cost.
How many 86s are there available? 2 or 3 max. One 87. Possibly. 68s and 88s useless as they can’t push a DVT. And all of those options require crew training, in the middle of an already intense training period. Just not going to happen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James James

68s and 88s useless as they can’t push a DVT. And all of those options require crew training, in the middle of an already intense training period. Just not going to happen.
Chiltern use(d) class 68's (and 66's) with a DVT. No idea if it required any adaption of the DVT or 66/68 however. Not realistic as you say, but it's possible.

delticdave

Chiltern use(d) class 68's (and 66's) with a DVT. No idea if it required any adaption of the DVT or 66/68 however. Not realistic as you say, but it's possible.
Methinks 67's rather than 66's........... +, FWIW Chilterns loco-hauled stock are fitted with the (American) AAR control cabling to suit the standard system as fitted to the 67's & some 68's.

ashkeba

Established Member
How many 86s are there available? 2 or 3 max. One 87. Possibly. 68s and 88s useless as they can’t push a DVT. And all of those options require crew training, in the middle of an already intense training period. Just not going to happen.
Presumably 86s will be freed by arrival of the 90s. :lol:

68s definitely can push DVTs and 88s were reportedly bought to work passenger as well as freight so really ought to.

Not happening but you did ask what currently can haul Mark 3s and they are out there.

Railperf

Established Member

68s definitely can push DVTs and 88s were reportedly bought to work passenger as well as freight so really ought to.

Not happening but you did ask what currently can haul Mark 3s and they are out there.
Absolutely no chance of any class 86's being brought back onto Anglia. They were falling to bits and going bang the last time round - which was why the 90s were brought in. Worst case it will be short form Renatus 321s
Next people will be talking about bringing class 47's back in
They can definitely haul and propel Mark 3s. At least the 100mph 47/7s did with a DBSO on the Edinburgh - Glasgow route.

dk1

Veteran Member
Absolutely no chance of any class 86's being brought back onto Anglia. They were falling to bits and going bang the last time round - which was why the 90s were brought in. Worst case it will be short form Renatus 321s
Next people will be talking about bringing class 47's back in
They can definitely haul and propel Mark 3s. At least the 100mph 47/7s did with a DBSO on the Edinburgh - Glasgow route.
47/7s could no longer do it with DBSOs after being converted for IC Anglia use in the early 90s.

Railperf

Established Member
379s mostly operate Stansted with very limited Cambridge work. 745/1 units are coming to Stansted later this year to displace 379s so you obviously haven't been following the thread.
Looking at it logically, 317s have to go off-lease ASAP because they are not PRM compliant. So the 379s displaced by 745 are most likely to take over 317 diagrams until sufficient 720s come into service to take over those diagrams. And as far as I'm aware the 379s are signed by all West Anglia depots anyway so no extra driver training required.
Also is there a possibility that the 745 Stansted units could be used on Norwich services to supplement the intercity fleet temporarily?

On Moderation

The reason Freightliner want the 90s when they do is probably so they can bin the 86s and have been managing them accordingly.

And to be clear the 68s and 88s cannot push the Anglia DVTs without modification. If you use the same solution as Chiltern then locos and stock need modifying, if you fit the DVTs with 68/88 multi you have an untried solution.

I’ll repeat: anything other than 90s is utterly out of the question.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Looking at it logically, 317s have to go off-lease ASAP because they are not PRM compliant. So the 379s displaced by 745 are most likely to take over 317 diagrams until sufficient 720s come into service to take over those diagrams. And as far as I'm aware the 379s are signed by all West Anglia depots anyway so no extra driver training required.
Also is there a possibility that the 745 Stansted units could be used on Norwich services to supplement the intercity fleet temporarily?
Not convinced by that - the way things are currently going all 10 Norwich units are likely to be in service before the 745/1s begin - unless there's a major failure with one of the /0s, by the time there are enough 745/1s in use to lend them out to the GE side (other than the maintenance swaps previously discussed), the /0 fleet should be pretty well established. I'm expecting 720s to fill in the gaps for Norwich ultimately - until such time they're ready, it'll be 321s, along with whatever issues that may cause to other GE services.

Astro_Orbiter

379s mostly operate Stansted with very limited Cambridge work. 745/1 units are coming to Stansted later this year to displace 379s so you obviously haven't been following the thread.
You obviously aren't a regular on the west then, these days there are plenty of 379 operated Cambridge trains, there's even 317's on stanex with 379 on Cambridge's!
And all that besides, why then, when 745/1 displace 379's should they be sent to the GE when there's a ton of non compliant life expired 317's on their home ground that need replacing?

Railperf

Established Member
You obviously aren't a regular on the west then, these days there are plenty of 379 operated Cambridge trains, there's even 317's on stanex with 379 on Cambridge's!
And all that besides, why then, when 745/1 displace 379's should they be sent to the GE when there's a ton of non compliant life expired 317's on their home ground that need replacing?
Oh yes. Plenty of 379s found on Cambridge fasts and stoppers. Seen quite a few 317s on Stansteds recently. The sooner they get rid of 317s the better. Awful rolling stock. Well past its sell by date. Had the pleasure of a 379 on a Stratford to Meridian Water shuttle too recently. Lol.

Astro_Orbiter

317's have been dying for a long time now, but recently they are getting beyond dreadful and failing left right and center.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I do see Liverpool Street regularly and Stansted is almost always 379 and Cambridge almost always 317. I'm not sure what WA you're imagining. GA have been diagramming them properly for years now, I don't see why they would change that.
Also the 321s are just as uncomfotable, slow and non-compliant as the 317s and expire in December 20. Some 317s are better maintained and cleaner than the 321s as well.

Petty 'I know the line more than you do' comments aside, what can be said is GA have a monumental task on their hands, being the only operator in the country (except Northern) with such a large number of old pre 1990s rolling stock. 140 something non-compliant units is going to be problematic to replace without chaos in between. Who pays the cost of that more, the WA or GEML, is to be seen.

samuelmorris

Established Member
317's have been dying for a long time now, but recently they are getting beyond dreadful and failing left right and center.
They're not great performers, but unless there's been a downturn since January, they have been improving over the last couple of years - in particular the 317/6s have improved from 7400 MTIN to 13,000 a few months ago. Less than half the score of the 321s, but not unusually low for an end-of-life EMU. They're nothing like as bad as the 317/7s were when LO first reintroduced them.

The three 12 car peak fasts from Camb to LivSt 0647/0717/0747 n 1707/1737/1807 ex LivSt are booked 379. They work various off peak Camb as well. That’s 9 sets. StaxExp is 9 x 8car diagrams so 18 sets. Recently one StanExp diagram has been covered by 317s. So it is not correct to say 379s have very little Cambridge work. Taking into account PRM mods are only being made to 27x317 sets and the delays to 720s and no platform extension work at Hertford East to allow 10x720s to go there, the assumption is that the 379s will be needed on WA for a while after the 745/1s take over StanExp

ashkeba

Established Member
The reason Freightliner want the 90s when they do is probably so they can bin the 86s and have been managing them accordingly.

And to be clear the 68s and 88s cannot push the Anglia DVTs without modification. If you use the same solution as Chiltern then locos and stock need modifying, if you fit the DVTs with 68/88 multi you have an untried solution.

I’ll repeat: anything other than 90s is utterly out of the question.
So I'll repeat: none of it will happen, so enjoy your antique commuter trains and don't expect sympathy from WA that's suffered them on what should be an intercity for decades.

RailWonderer

Established Member
The three 12 car peak fasts from Camb to LivSt 0647/0717/0747 n 1707/1737/1807 ex LivSt are booked 379. They work various off peak Camb as well. That’s 9 sets. StaxExp is 9 x 8car diagrams so 18 sets. Recently one StanExp diagram has been covered by 317s. So it is not correct to say 379s have very little Cambridge work. Taking into account PRM mods are only being made to 27x317 sets and the delays to 720s and no platform extension work at Hertford East to allow 10x720s to go there, the assumption is that the 379s will be needed on WA for a while after the 745/1s take over StanExp
9 sets = 3 diagrams. There is only 1 off peak 379 Camb diagram, those three are morning in and out of Liv St only. How many Cambridge workings are there in total and probability of getting a 317 over a 379? Very high.
In fact myself and others have been saying GA should keep the 379s, they will certainly be needed even when the 720s have arrived. Also there cannot be any more 379 diagrams since they do not have the MTIN figures for a 29/30 fleet utilisation either and are not diagrammed accordingly.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
The December 2019 diagrams have 24 diagrams for PRM 317s and one pair of unmodified units which only does the 17:13 to Cambridge. On paper there are eight pairs of 379s covering various diagrams to Cambridge and Hertford East, also Stratford to Bishops Stortford. In reality they are all 317s with the eight 379 pairs still going to Stansted along with one pair of 317s.

Bikeman78

Established Member
They seem to do all right whenever I visit and my luck isn't the best. They usually cover all 46 diagrams and often there is a second pair on Stansted Express covering for 379s.

On Moderation
So I'll repeat: none of it will happen, so enjoy your antique commuter trains and don't expect sympathy from WA that's suffered them on what should be an intercity for decades.
As I don’t use GA other than very very occasionally and don’t live anywhere near GA-land, you’re confusing me with someone who gives a stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.