• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia - Trainee Mainline/Depot Driver - Various (12/04/24)

dk1

Veteran Member
It really depends on instructor availability and how much “wheels turning” you have in your depot’s diagrams. I did my rules & 225 hours in 10 months not rushing.

We complete 288hrs on the Anglia side but that includes all route learning too

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vinny86

Hi all, Not wanting to jump ahead of anything, but what are the Rota's for GA out of Colchester? Typical start times etc, used to shift patterns and working a 10 week Rota but the rail seems a different world. I've searched a few things that come up from years ago (maybe still current)

Established Member
Sounds like good money. I'm nowhere near old enough tho

For qualified drivers? It isn’t, in fact it’s terrible. It’s less than a DLR PSA gets, and less than all TOCs bar Southeastern.

Last edited:

Greeny1

I cannot speak for Norwich as different part of company, but I enjoyed being a depot driver. Best job I ever had. If there wasn't such a pay disparity would have stayed doing it.

Nothing has changed since 2019

Training facilities at Stratford & Norwich
Thanks Teddy, are you now mainline?

Did you mainly do night shifts? What did your job entail?

To everyone, does anyone know how to get in contact with recruitment?

RunRepeat

I was completing my application and uploading my CV, when I submitted the Ipswich vacancy disappeared from underneath my feet! Very frustrating.

Greeny1

I was completing my application and uploading my CV, when I submitted the Ipswich vacancy disappeared from underneath my feet! Very frustrating.
Sorry to hear, so close but yet so far!. I missed it too (Norwich). Went for depot instead but in two minds.

JMH77

If it's just a SJT for the initial assessment has anyone done this on a phone or is a PC required?

Vinny86

If it's just a SJT for the initial assessment has anyone done this on a phone or is a PC required?
I’d err on the side of caution and use a PC. But the email does state the supported browsers and operating systems you can use.

Teddyward

Thanks Teddy, are you now mainline?

Did you mainly do night shifts? What did your job entail?

To everyone, does anyone know how to get in contact with recruitment?
Yes I am mainline now. When I was in the depot it was a mixture of earlies, lates and nights. Shunting trains from the sidings to a platform and vice versa. Coupling/uncoupling, washing and preparing trains. Making a yard plan for maintenance requests and for the morning start up service.

Samzino

Yes I am mainline now. When I was in the depot it was a mixture of earlies, lates and nights. Shunting trains from the sidings to a platform and vice versa. Coupling/uncoupling, washing and preparing trains. Making a yard plan for maintenance requests and for the morning start up service.
I assume this was an out of London Depot then? I know that Ilford Depot drivers stay within the confines of the depot with their shunts right?

Greeny1

Thanks a lot for the info Teddy. When you say washing trains, is it a mechanical wash you take them through?

Teddyward

I assume this was an out of London Depot then? I know that Ilford Depot drivers stay within the confines of the depot with their shunts right?
Yes that is correct, Ilford depot drivers do not leave the yard.
Thanks a lot for the info Teddy. When you say washing trains, is it a mechanical wash you take them through?
Yes, a mechanical wash plant.

Bigsej

Has anyone had any comms since completing assessment? Any idea how long before we know we have been successful or not?

Samzino

It's too early. Pretty sure the assessments only closed today or will close tomorrow if one is going off the 6 day maximum time period to complete it.

You can then assume its another week or two before results after the close date.

JamesThame97

It's too early. Pretty sure the assessments only closed today or will close tomorrow if one is going off the 6 day maximum time period to complete it.

You can then assume its another week or two before results after the close date.
Yeah I think they gave 6 working days, so it'll close around midnight tonight

Samzino

Yeah I think they gave 6 working days, so it'll close around midnight tonight
Indeed so one can expect around 14 working days to hear back for the results which is only just the start of thing(those who've been in previous campaigns are all too aware of :D)

JamesThame97

Indeed so one can expect around 14 working days to hear back for the results which is only just the start of thing(those who've been in previous campaigns are all too aware of :D)
Oh can it really be that long? This is my first time applying. Did you apply for this role last time or a different one?

Samzino

Oh can it really be that long? This is my first time applying. Did you apply for this role last time or a different one?
That's actually pretty quick in TOC times. I did apply to an Ilford Campaign some time ago indeed. Once shortlisted you're wait really starts till they need or progress your application which expires after 1 year as stated in the vacancy.

Greeny1

Just to let you know my experience. Over 2 years ago I applied, passed the SJT and then only 2 comms after that during a 2 year period. One stating I was still with a chance but it may close soon and a new one to open and apply for and then the one said it had closed and to apply for the new ad.

Some people did get assessment invites.

lae150

Has anyone had any comms since completing assessment? Any idea how long before we know we have been successful or not?
Last year they didn't even get back to some at all after even though they passed it so just keep everything crossed!

King8989

once sjt have all been completed, those that pass will get a email to say they are on a waiting list could be upto a year before being sent for stage 1 psychometric tests. a screening of applicants will be done and the best applications or those most suited will be sent 1st for stage 1 which spaces are limited. everyone else will be on a waiting list. so you have the 1st batch of people, the second, the 3rd and so on. you may not ever get sent for stage 1 it will be based on how others in front of you on the waiting list do.