• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia - Trainee Mainline/Depot Driver - Various (12/04/24)

20atthemagnet

Wonder if it's going to be another year of no contact.. just like last year's application!

I would presume not. There are a shed ton of people either leaving/trying to leave for various reasons. Now has never been a better time to get in as a trainee.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomH1994

Submitted mine just now, I remember GWR’s one having a question/ assessment part on the application, assuming not all TOC’s give one at application stage?

Samzino

Submitted mine just now, I remember GWR’s one having a question/ assessment part on the application, assuming not all TOC’s give one at application stage?
GA had one last year but this year doesn't seem to be one atm.

PK96

I would presume not. There are a shed ton of people either leaving/trying to leave for various reasons. Now has never been a better time to get in as a trainee.
Hopefully! Fingers crossed.

I've applied for a few positions they have available just because I can relocate. Let's wait and see!

Leoleo1833

The application process was a bit different on this occasion compared to other toc that tend to have an sjt when applying

Samzino

The application process was a bit different on this occasion compared to other toc that tend to have an sjt when applying
Indeed, I remember having to sit an SJT last year on the 2023 Campaign. Could be a case of new recruitment structure.

Andreas D

Those 10 mainline roles will be very competitive.
I think your right, will be very tough.
The don’t think I’ll stand a chance, first time for me applying with this company. I’ve been reading a lot on this forum and it seems like everybody knows their stuff. Good luck to everyone who applied

Samzino

I think your right, will be very tough.
The don’t think I’ll stand a chance, first time for me applying with this company. I’ve been reading a lot on this forum and it seems like everybody knows their stuff. Good luck to everyone who applied
You never know. Everyone has equal chance here to fight for a place.

Samzino

Assuming the hear back date is 14 days from Monday (which is when it closed right)?
Either that or from the 19th(Starting tomorrow) either way I'd not expect to hear anything till end of the month/ early May.

Greeny1

Hi guys,

The Norwich positions closed early for mainline before I realized they were recruiting again. Reluctantly, I applied for depot driver. I wonder if any of you know if the training for Depot is similar to Mainline. If I got in as a depot driver, how much easier would it be to eventually become mainline?

One other question. I stopped running about a year ago because it makes my knees hurt, and they are not like they used to be. Is this going to be a problem in regards to a medical?

Samzino

Hi guys,

The Norwich positions closed early for mainline before I realized they were recruiting again. Reluctantly, I applied for depot driver. I wonder if any of you know if the training for Depot is similar to Mainline. If I got in as a depot driver, how much easier would it be to eventually become mainline?

One other question. I stopped running about a year ago because it makes my knees hurt, and they are not like they used to be. Is this going to be a problem in regards to a medical?
As far as I know, Depot driver to Mainline progression does happen but it isn't a right/ automatic to happen after X amount of years. I believe you have to however have a minimum of 1 or 2 years as a Depot Driver before becoming eligible but then that only means you're in the mix of others some of who would have already been waiting an amount of time to progress.

Friend of mine was told that you'd not have to resit Psychometrics come to progression to Mainline for GA

Greeny1

As far as I know, Depot driver to Mainline progression does happen, but it isn't right/ automatic to happen after X amount of years. I believe you have to however have a minimum of 1 or 2 years as a Depot Driver before becoming eligible but then that only means you're in the mix of others some of who would have already been waiting an amount of time to progress.

Friend of mine was told that you'd not have to resit Psychometrics come to progression to Mainline for GA
Thanks for the reply and info, Samzino. I'm not a spring chicken, so having to do something else before becoming mainline is a tedious link. Like you say, it's not guaranteed even then. It's something I will think about but unsure if I will follow through with it. Having said that, getting in is tough anyway so it's not a guarantee either way.

Teddyward

If you do well as a depot driver 3-5 years is a more realistic timescale for going on the mainline. The job can involve quite a bit of walking. There is a POSSIBILITY recruitment to the mainline may go back to depot driver progression only on Anglia & Great Eastern.(Not the West). Just the rumour mill at this stage though.

Samzino

Same here. Looks like they've changed up the Assessment to Assessments. Previous was an Old SJT.

Bigsej

I’ve received an invitation for online assessments too. Anyone know what is involved?

London Liverpool Street West Anglia for me. Can someone remind me if that’s the higher or lower paid of the two trainee posts out of Liverpool Street?

Thanks

In fact I’ve received emails for both posts out of Liverpool Street as I had applied for both. Question is, do I need to do assessments for each post separately?

dk1

Veteran Member
Hi guys,

As said it’s not a line of promotion currently from depot driver to mainline. You would need to go through classroom training again then the full 288 hours with a driver instructor before pass out.

Samzino

Is it just an sjt ?
I don't believe so, as the email mentions, "Assessments". I can only assume its 2 or 3 assessments for now till I get time to do the Assessments myself, sadly a bit busy for today and tomorrow to try myself.