• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Trainee Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I guess they look at distance from depots. What about the eye surgery question? That was a bit ambiguous - Have you had or do you intend to have laser eye surgery? Is that a deal breaker? If it is, why not say so from the start?

Sadly laser eye surgery is a no on the railways. I don't know the ins and outs it just is.

They look at the contents of your application of course. The score is moot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stevieoz

Moot is a brilliant word!

A high score does seem to bring a quicker review of an application.

There also seems to be a low enough score to be rejected.

There also seems to be a middle of the road score that will not have their application processed.

I place myself in the middle which is frustrating.

atochopefull

There also seems to be a middle of the road score that will not have their application processed.

Waited till 5.30 today hoping I'd hear something before the weekend, but nothing! Oh well, another week older. Guess I'm in the middle too, but at least it's not bad news.

SPADTrap

Established Member

I'll put it this way: two posters got 68 and one got shortlisted while the other unfortunatly did not on this occasion.

stevieoz

In January 2014 I applied and noticed that others who, like myself scored 65 on the application. Some of these progressed to the next stage whereas my application is still active to this day. I don't know if this is because it hasn't been processed or because the rest of my application was not up to the required standard but I would like to think that if it was processed then they would email me a response.

Economist

I'm surprised that they don't publish the minimum cut-off score. For example, OASC at Cranwell (the RAF aircrew selection centre) basically says, if you score less than x then you automatically fail, however y is the score that you need in order to be competitive (i.e. to make it through to the next stage ahead of the other candidates).

It would be decent of them to send an email to everyone who beats the minimum cut-off but who isn't competitive enough, basically explaining the position.

As for the 94-96% fail rate, how many of the applications don't stand much of a genuine chance? The initial sift statistics for members of these forums seems to be much higher, though I sense that is because people on here have done their research and know more about the role.

332 > 444

Still heard nothing!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

How do you know this is the process?

Well, Sikes got 75 and has been shortlisted for assessments, anyone under 60 has been rejected and two people on here got 68 and one got shortlisted and the other one rejected, that's my detective work :idea:

My score is 61 and i've not heard either way and i have previously passed the assessments in July with GTR but messed up the DMI.

scott118

I'm surprised that they don't publish the minimum cut-off score. For example, OASC at Cranwell (the RAF aircrew selection centre) basically says, if you score less than x then you automatically fail, however y is the score that you need in order to be competitive (i.e. to make it through to the next stage ahead of the other candidates).

It would be decent of them to send an email to everyone who beats the minimum cut-off but who isn't competitive enough, basically explaining the position.

As for the 94-96% fail rate, how many of the applications don't stand much of a genuine chance? The initial sift statistics for members of these forums seems to be much higher, though I sense that is because people on here have done their research and know more about the role.

That unfortunately, for those employed externally, is the railway. Applications take an age to process, and for those unfortunate not to make the grade, some are left in limbo, by not being told, if they are a fail or a pass. Surely a TOC will concentrate their contact with their chosen few, rather than to inform the many thousands, who are unsuccessful. Yes it's rude, unprofessional, whatever you wish to call it, but even a no thank you, incurs a cost. There are numerous factors, all beyond my 'intellect', as to why two people, who have scored the same, with the same backgrounds, with the same blah blah, as to why one fails, and one proceeds.

94-96% shows how sought after a drivers job is. There's no shame in not proceeding. Many others are also in the same boat. Working on the railways, isn't what it's all cracked up to be, as it's not all roses, at times.

Perhaps, the drawn out application process, is another test of your suitability for your TOC. They are about to spend and invest a huge amount of cost/time in you. Wouldn't you want to be certain that they, the successful applicants, have all the attributes before undertaking this cost?

Sit back, relax. You've done all you can for now, by submitting an application. Good luck to those, who are selected beyond the preliminary stages..

SPADTrap

Established Member

I'm not sure how else to say it. That score is based upon one part of the application form. Not the entire thing. A lower score on what is pretty rigid could still get a pass if the rest is good!

Sikes 88

Well, Sikes got 75 and has been shortlisted for assessments, anyone under 60 has been rejected and two people on here got 68 and one got shortlisted and the other one rejected, that's my detective work :idea:

My score is 61 and i've not heard either way and i have previously passed the assessments in July with GTR but messed up the DMI.

Same here. Absolutely fluffed the line managers interview.

cmm883

Just received an email from them:

Thank you for your application for the Trainee Train Driver vacancy. Due to a high volume of candidates applying for this role, we will not be proceeding with your application at this stage. However we are keeping your application on hold for future Trainee Driver vacancies, and will be in contact with you again when they arise.

Kind regards,

Hope you guys have better luck than me.

NewArrival

I, too, just got an email saying "due to the high number of candidates applying, we will not be proceeding with your application at this stage".

332 > 444

I got that email also, that don't mean a rejection I'd say, otherwise it would say we have been unsuccessful. Probably waiting for the first wave of candidates being sent for assessments to see how far they progress.

Lee Trains

First Post

I start my training with AGA att he start of next year.... Good luck to all those still in the process

Sikes 88

Just got very reliable information that they are looking for 1 person to start at ilford depot in late January. Bishop stortford and Cambridge have start dates of April scheduled in. So quite a quick turnaround I think

Dave1987

On Moderation
Just got very reliable information that they are looking for 1 person to start at ilford depot in late January. Bishop stortford and Cambridge have start dates of April scheduled in. So quite a quick turnaround I think

Is that for depot or mainline though? I heard all recent applicants on GE were all offered depot jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.