• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia trains London to Norwich: how busy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Thinking of taking a short break away in a couple of weeks. Going to book Advance tickets, but only now just found out that GA have temporarily suspended seat reservations, pending the introduction of new stock. Usually traveling on Advances on other trips, I'm used to having an allocated seat. Is this likely to cause me a problem? I mean how busy are these trains. I'll probably be traveling from London at around 10:30 am, and back in the 16:30. In first class. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
No problem in first on either train there, and those two trains are not likely to be 321s as from memory they are Norwich crews. There’s also the 11.00 Liverpool St to Norwich and 17.00 Norwich to Liverpool St which are both 90 minute schedules on paper, but of course that’s less time to enjoy the MkIII first class experience.

Bungle73

On Moderation
No problem in first on either train there, and those two trains are not likely to be 321s as from memory they are Norwich crews. There’s also the 11.00 Liverpool St to Norwich and 17.00 Norwich to Liverpool St which are both 90 minute schedules on paper, but of course that’s less time to enjoy the MkIII first class experience.
There aren't any First Advance tickets for those services. Anyway, looks like the trip's off now, since I just learned that the Castle Museum has had all of its exhibits cleared out and put into storage, and that is one of the places I was thinking of visiting. I don't think it's worth going this year now......

Established Member
Never mind. GA were doing cheap advances for those trains when they started. Depends if you want to travel in a Mk3 before they go. Although we are all waiting for the first Stadler EMU on the Norwich trains, once they start the 90s and Mk3s won’t be around for long. Norwich is nice anyway.

Colchester Castle did a similar ‘refurbishment’ if that’s the right word. The local CAMRA branch seized the opportunity and held a one-off beer festival in the Castle. Wonderful location for the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.