• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Manchester ENCTS passes on the train

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHAPS2034

Made the short 5 minute journey from Stockport to Cheadle Hulme today on Northern. First time on a train for about 6 weeks and my ENCTS pass was checked electronically rather than visually by the guard on the train. This is new. Guard said they had only recently been issued with the kit to do this which can be a bit temperamental apparently.

For those who don't know, Gtr Manchester ENCTS bus passes can be electronically upgraded for £10 for 12 months to cover trains in the area as well as the trams. This charging regime was only introduced at the start of 2020; previously it had been free on the trains and trams.

I assume in the past that Northern got some form of bulk payment from Transport for GM to cover the revenue from GM ENCTS pass holders? Anyone know if that will change now they are able to account for individual journeys?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
I can't answer your question but it could be a bulk payment still, its essentially an agreement for them and the TOCs to come to I believe. If it's not publicly available how it works you got always submit a freedom of information act request, but don't be surprised if it gets turned down as commercially sensitive.

Qwerty133

Established Member
I would imagine they'd still get a bulk payment as it's not realistic to be able to get a realistic figure for the number of journeys made between metro area stations unless there are operational barriers (that are able to record the numbers of journeys) at all stations from first train until last. The ability to check whether a card has paid the fee will be to ensure that those who haven't are not able to travel by train without risk of prosecution which protects both TfGM and Northern (as the fee may well now be based on the number of cardholders that have purchased the upgrade).

scrapy

Established Member
I don't think the fee paid to Northern has actually changed. The £10 is supposedly an admin fee that goes towards TFGMs administration of all passes and the ENCTS for pensioners has been brought into line with those for younger people. As the ENCTS has to be issued free by councils for bus travel they can only charge those who want to use the pass for tram and train.

The scanning by Northern is likely a trial of the software on the guards mobile phone which is why it's tempremental (the phones are several years old) but the software will be moved to new hand held scanners which are being rolled out before the end of the year.

CHAPS2034

Thanks to everyone

I agree that it would be impossible to track every journey, so it would be sensible to continue with a bulk payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.