• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grimsby Town - Salford

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Now then friends.

I'm after running the Greater Manchester Marathon. I'll be leaving Gimsby Town around 3.30 on April 5th and returning the following day - hoping to get back before the last bus which is about 22.50.

Grimsby Town - Manchester Piccadilly is a straightforward advance, no messing, pick the times and buy the ticket dealy at the moment - the bargains are to be had on all trains in both directions.

However, I'm conscious that on arrival to MAN I'll be needing to get to my Hotel by Salford Quays Metrolink, then the following day from Salford Quays to Old Trafford-ish (which I can probably walk), then back from Old Trafford to MAN.

Now, I've never visited Manchester for anything other than to change trains so I don't know what sort of tickets GMPTE offer. Is there any kind of zonal ticket I could get which would cover this journey and allow me to fanny about on the metrolink or railways for a bit after the race (maybe go back to the hotel to pick up luggage, for instance)

Is the cheapest method GMB-MAN then a Metrolink/GMPTE ticket? Or is there a clever split at a boundary which might help out. And if so, can it be bought online?

No railcard, by the way. Single adult passenger.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
For the outward, I suspect that you just need to pay for a single on the Metrolink, which is £2.80. Through tickets can be issued for an add-on fare but I am unable to find out how much the add-on will be. You will also need to purchase your ticket from a station should you require a through ticket.

For the second day, a single Salford Quays to Old Trafford is £2.10 and Old Trafford to Piccadilly is £2.80. A day ticket is 10p dearer at £5.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I believe through tickets from outside the TfGM area are simply the Metrolink fare added on, but it's been a while since I looked any up.

sonic2009

Established Member
AFAIK at weekends on Metrolink there should be a ticket that lasts all weekend. Its normally valid from 6pm Friday to end of service Sunday and was around £4.40.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The all trams all weekend Metrolink product is the "Adult Weekend Travelcard", which is available from Metrolink ticket vending machines after 6 p.m. on Fridays, and is currently priced at £5.80.

As far as I am aware, through tickets to Metrolink stations are not available as add-ons to Advance railway tickets (could someone confirm this understanding?) but should be available for all walk-up tickets, such as Anytime returns or Off Peak returns; for Salford Quays Mtlk this would be an additional £3.90 on top of whatever the rail fare normally is to Manchester Stations.

N.B. Exchange Quays station is quite near to the Manchester United football stadium if travelling on the Metrolink "Eccles" line.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....As far as I am aware, through tickets to Metrolink stations are not available as add-ons to Advance railway tickets (could someone confirm this understanding?) but should be available for all walk-up tickets, such as Anytime returns or Off Peak returns....

I think that is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.