• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

group bourdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicorolo

I have sat part 1 of the assessments today, all in all
I feel I could answer all of the questions in good time.
However I have been playing the day back in my head
and I am quite confident I used the pen instead of
the pencil. Is this an instant fail?? Have I messed
up before I even got started..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tlionhart

If I remember rightly, I used a pen. I remember them saying you had to press hard. May be it goes through one of those data checking machines?

Septus

If I remember rightly, I used a pen. I remember them saying you had to press hard. May be it goes through one of those data checking machines?

Think when I completed mine, there were 2no sheets, one on top of the other e.g. Carbon paper, hence the pushing hard.

Red18

Yes, my group was told to use the pen for GB and to press firmly and we used a pencil for everything else so you could correct your answers if required.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I'm sure I was told to use pencil, I remember thinking if I pushed too hard I'd snap it! Guess it doesn't make much difference!

Louby

I'm sure I was told to use pencil, I remember thinking if I pushed too hard I'd snap it! Guess it doesn't make much difference!

Yes it was , pencil and a marker we had( marker was for teaocc)

Red18

You're not going to fail because you used the wrong writing implement though.
Imagine that!

carlejo

Imagine that!

you could.... I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but if they asked for the test to be done in pen and the person used pencil, they could fail

Simply because they haven't listened to a basic instruction.

Louby

Imagine that!

Shush you!!! It's 3 weeks since I sat it!! But yes it was PENCIL and we also had the marker for teaocc and a PEN to complete our names and ninos

SPADTrap

Established Member
You can fail the TEA-Occ for exactly that. Or not circling correctly as they ask.

Bluebri

I took the test on Thursday and it was like a carbon type form, double thick. We were clearly and specifically told to use the biro and press firmly. Obviously to mark the answer sheet beneath. I assume they simply open the form up to get your result saving them time on the marking. It was with OCP in the liner hotel in Liverpool.

Septus

you could.... I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but if they asked for the test to be done in pen and the person used pencil, they could fail

Simply because they haven't listened to a basic instruction.

This worried me on my stage 1...For the TRP tests I put a line through the answers. Once we had finished and they collected the answer sheets in I could see everyone else had 'filled the box', it was then I remembered that this was one of the instructions at the beginning. It was too late to change. I still passed...thank god!

Red18

Shush you!!! It's 3 weeks since I sat it!! But yes it was PENCIL and we also had the marker for teaocc and a PEN to complete our names and ninos

So we both sat the same tests with the same assessors for the same TOC and we both passed.
For the GB you used a pencil and I used a pen.
My conclusion - It doesn't matter :)

Louby

So we both sat the same tests with the same assessors for the same TOC and we both passed.
For the GB you used a pencil and I used a pen.
My conclusion - It doesn't matter :)

Yep, I had to think but I def used pencil as I was worried it would break when pressing so hard

Bluebri

If you have been told you have passed the assessments on the day, you have passed. End of. The only variable is the interrogators interpretation of you and your mmi. ;)

nicorolo

Thanks for all the replies and info.
I passed! now on to part 2 next week.
bit worried about the interview now. .

Was failed on this with DB Schenker back in September 2013, downloaded an online program that replicates it and practised liked a maniac for weeks getting loads of rows done and next to zero omissions, sat the test, went through it like an express train (pardon the pun) and was told over the phone two days later that my accuracy was fine but I hadn't completed enough lines, the heroes who passed must have had smoke coming out of their hands and sparks flying off the desks or it's a sham, I strongly suspect the latter.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Was failed on this with DB Schenker back in September 2013, downloaded an online program that replicates it and practised liked a maniac for weeks getting loads of rows done and next to zero omissions, sat the test, went through it like an express train (pardon the pun) and was told over the phone two days later that my accuracy was fine but I hadn't completed enough lines, the heroes who passed must have had smoke coming out of their hands and sparks flying off the desks or it's a sham, I strongly suspect the latter.

Take this example from when I sat my assessments for Greater Anglia:

Candidate next to me does as you describe, 1min 30secs into the GB he asks "Can I move on?" as he's flown through and completed the page already. As the test progresses he simply cannot keep the pace up and the amount of lines he does on each 'block' decreases, first block he completes it all and the last block he does 2 lines.

I keep a steady 6 lines consistently throughout the entire test. I'm a trainee driver, he isn't.

I'm not 'willy waving' but if you look on the face of it, his full first 'block' probably gave him more lines numerically than me but they also look for consistency, his failure to keep that consistency showed his concentration management isn't there, that's why he failed - maybe you did the same 'express train' kind of thing?

Consistency is also key, remember it is concentration and accuracy over a long period of time not fill in as many as possible, burn yourself out and require a nap after the test. It's actually a very easy test if you know how to do it. It needn't be the rushed 'stress fest' I hear it made out to be.

Sam

Last edited:

gholi06

Yes agree with Spad on this. After downloading the tool I tried to increase my speed. But in the end I realised there was only one speed I could do the GB test and get good accuracy so I practiced to that pace. By the end I could do roughly 11 lines each time. Sometimes I would do more or less. But average was 11 and I passed 1st time sitting the test.
Some results people publish are unbelievable and I watched the youtube video of the guy finishing all 5 pages on the GB tool. I don't think I would ever be able to do that nor do I want to it looks like a real waste of time!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh I think I used a pen by the way just to answer the original question! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.