• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group of nine (maybe more) CLJ - CCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM2

Established Member
Afternoon all!
A number of us are off to the races at Goodwood on Saturday and are getting the train from Clapham Junction to Chichester.
Not *exactly* certain how many of us are going, although it's at least nine.
GroupSave4 is the ideal ticket, I guess, but if we have odd numbers, are their better options?
I have a Gold Card, so wondered if for nine (or ten), 2 x GPS-4 Super Off-Peak Return and 1 (or 2) x Super Off-Peak Return with GOLDC discount is best, or 3 x GPS-3 plus 1 GOLDC (if needed)?
My maths says 2 x GPS-4 + 1 x GOLDC = £110.60. 3 x GPS-3 = £142.20 (with a Super Off-Peak Return at £23.70)
Am I right, or have I missed something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brucey

For nine people, you are spot on. 2x GPS-4 plus a railcard discounted fare will be the cheapest.

The railcard fare is £13.60 on the Southern website, due to an online discount.

You could also get 6% cashback on the whole thing through a cashback website!

Southern only do "large group" discounts on groups of 20+, some other TOCs start at groups of ten.

Alternatively, an All Network Downlander will let you travel across the whole Southern network for £12.50 per person. Must be booked online 3 days in advance.

Also, too late now but for future reference, you can get a DaySave (unlimited off-peak travel on Southern services) for £24 per 4 person group! Must be booked 7 days in advance.

Brucey

Clapham Junction to Chichester off-peak day return groupsave for 4 passengers £47.40 with online discount on southernrailway.com

Online discount isn't available on GroupSave tickets. That's the normal GS4 price.

EM2

Established Member
Slight change of plan, we're now going for a meal afterwards in Fulham Broadway, so thought it would be better to go West Brompton - Chichester, but start short at CLJ.
To double-check, I asked Southern on Twitter if this was OK, and they said no?!
I also noticed that for four passengers, it's over £66!
I think we'll PAYG up to Fulham...

Brucey

Slight change of plan, we're now going for a meal afterwards in Fulham Broadway, so thought it would be better to go West Brompton - Chichester, but start short at CLJ.
To double-check, I asked Southern on Twitter if this was OK, and they said no?!

They are wrong. I've just challenged them on Twitter....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Their reply, wait for it..........
It is dependant on which type of ticket and ive any route is permitted or not :)
:|

MKD

With the Southern Daysave requiring 7days+ (and possible P&P costs), don't overlook the Southern only Allnetwork Downlander
£12.50/adult and available to buy/self-print upto midnight 2 days before
http://www.southernrailwaytickets.com/ticketing_promotion.php?iTicketPromotionId=6
Too late for this Saturday, but maybe an option for another relatively 'last-minute' trip, though of course the group saving with planning 7 days ahead with Daysave for 4 people for £24 = better value.
MKD

Last edited:

johnnycache

The off-peak day return groupsave 4 fare from West Brompton to Chichester is £52.40
The fare for the ninth person with annual gold card is £17.30
There are no more on-line discounts on the ninth ticket (if you haven't bought it yet) as they ended (for now!) on 23 August.
If you book on-line these tickets can be collected from Clapham Junction
Not sure about the gates at Clapham Junction but at Chichester groupsave tickets won't operate the automatic ticket gates - this enables the staff to check that the party (ie each group of four) is travelling together.

Have a great day
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and don't forget to ride in the front four coaches from Clapham Junction as the train divides at Horsham and the rear portion goes to Bognor Regis

johnnycache

Be sure to touch in at Clapham Junction before going to West Brompton or you will get charged the maximum fare

Status
Not open for further replies.