• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Save. GS3

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is the GS3 groupsave discount available on the off peak (saver) fare from Edinburgh to Preston - specifically on Transpennine Express?

TIA.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks, I didn't think so. However, input the code into my retail system and it accepted it - too good to be true.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks, I didn't think so. However, input the code into my retail system and it accepted it - too good to be true.
Sounds like a mistake in the way those fares have been created - they shouldn't really have enabled GS3 as a discount code for a "TPE only" ticket. In fact, even for the "Any Permitted" or "via Carlisle" routes of fare it shouldn't be enabled, as there is no way of making the journey using participating operators.

A journey-planner based retailer wouldn't offer the GS3 discount, since the time restrictions associated with the GS3 discount code bar all TPE departures (as well as departure on all other operators that don't participate in GroupSave). But a ticket office or guard's TIS wouldn't necessarily check for valid journeys, so may well offer this fare notwithstanding the fact that it can't be used in accordance with the GroupSave rules.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Sounds like a mistake in the way those fares have been created - they shouldn't really have enabled GS3 as a discount code for a "TPE only" ticket. In fact, even for the "Any Permitted" or "via Carlisle" routes of fare it shouldn't be enabled, as there is no way of making the journey using participating operators.

A journey-planner based retailer wouldn't offer the GS3 discount, since the time restrictions associated with the GS3 discount code bar all TPE departures (as well as departure on all other operators that don't participate in GroupSave). But a ticket office or guard's TIS wouldn't necessarily check for valid journeys, so may well offer this fare notwithstanding the fact that it can't be used in accordance with the GroupSave rules.
BR Fares doesn't return fares so it may be a TIS fault