• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group seeking to purchase a class 317 to convert to a 210 DEMU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
According to their facebook today, they have secured a TCO by taking out a loan against it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
According to their facebook today, they have secured a TCO by taking out a loan against it.

I was able to read their posts the other day when this thread appeared as the group was public but today it's private. Strange outfit.

There is an article in the current edition of Rail Magazine on pages 44 & 45 about the class 210 project

boiledbeans2

The metal hopper vents were a modification after passenger complaints about the trains being too hot on sunny summer days. This was particularly a problem with units that had sat in the carriage sidings between the peaks, where the ventilation system was inadequate for dispersing the heat resulting from solar gain.
Are there photos somewhere of the Class 317 pre-metal hopper modification?

Magdalia

Established Member
Are there photos somewhere of the Class 317 pre-metal hopper modification?
I'm wondering if this is a myth that I've fallen for. Looking closely at pictures, 317001 has vents on its delivery run, and most of the pictures I've found of units in store in 1982 seem to have vents, though when they are all properly closed it isn't always easy to tell for sure.

Maybe it was a late modification to the design, though the 317001 pictures suggest that it was before 317001 was first released from York Works.

One possibility is that the Derby built 71xxx trailers did not have them and were modified at York. I don't know if there are pictures of these in transit from Derby to York.

My excuse is that I didn't pay a lot of attention to early class 317 history as it was happening. For me class 317s only became significant when they arrived on the GN, and for a while I paid insufficient attention to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.