• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Growing Rail Freight

cinders&ashes

First time article poster, be gentle :D.

https://www.railengineer.co.uk/growing-rail-freight/

Interesting article concerning options to increase/improve rail freight. On electrification, the point is made that:
the only way to run the longer, heavier freight trains that are essential for rail freight growth as electric locomotives have typically twice the power of a diesel locomotive (electric class 92 – 5MW, diesel class 66 – 2.2 MW)
My bumbling amateur question is this: if electric with twice the power allows long and heavier trains, would it also therefore allow trains of the same size/weight as their diesel peers to travel at much higher speeds? If so, wouldn't this also solve some of the congestion issues on the mainlines? Even if they didn't travel at high speed, going faster than at present (and with no stations to stop at either) should mean less traffic issues and need for looping etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
From my [limited] understanding of vehicle dynamics, it’s speeds above 75mph when the sway and aerodynamics of freight wagons become critical factors.

The Planner

Veteran Member
First time article poster, be gentle :D.

https://www.railengineer.co.uk/growing-rail-freight/

Interesting article concerning options to increase/improve rail freight. On electrification, the point is made that:

My bumbling amateur question is this: if electric with twice the power allows long and heavier trains, would it also therefore allow trains of the same size/weight as their diesel peers to travel at much higher speeds? If so, wouldn't this also solve some of the congestion issues on the mainlines? Even if they didn't travel at high speed, going faster than at present (and with no stations to stop at either) should mean less traffic issues and need for looping etc.
No, until the ability to run containers above 75mph is sorted. Electric freight will run faster though as it can accelerate quicker and keep speeds up gradients.

Rail Quest

The article makes for an interesting read but I think this quote perhaps may be a little miss leaded as to the current restrictions on length perhaps?
the only way to run the longer, heavier freight trains that are essential for rail freight growth as electric locomotives have typically twice the power of a diesel locomotive (electric class 92 – 5MW, diesel class 66 – 2.2 MW)
I was under the impression that the maximum length freight trains can be in the UK currently is purely limited by lengths of looping points and the likes but I'm happy to be corrected on that. I would assume that locomotives like the 70s would be more than capable of hauling longer container trains than they're currently limited to.

Robin Procter

I see double-headed Class66 on long trains fairly often. Also Class70s seem very capable judging by the number of wagons. I have counted as many as 42.

But if the use of electric locomotives increases the length of trains and therefore increases the weight, will track maintenance need to be significantly increased?

Yes, relatively easily on the flat and shallower gradients. Clearly the steeper the gradient and heavier trains reduces that.
Really, will you tell my 66 then, I can count on one hand the amount of time Ive even managed over 70 !!!!

Any Liner service we do to Felixstowe, and empty Plasmor service.

All 4 speeds

But bear in mind although 4 speeds, most services are timed less than that