• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR 3rd Jan Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

K_pompey

I also received my paperwork. However I don’t start until the 5th as I’m already with the company :)

Sikes 88

I am on the jan 3rd course. I was in a previous course and had to pull out so I am back on this one

Sikes 88

Welcome to the gang. For how long were you on the last course? Any tips for us?
I was on the course until June this year so 3.5 months. The course is a lot to take in and you have to put in some hours at home but the tutors are good and will always help you. Training will be done at hornsey on a mon- fri 9-5 (never stayed until 5pm) I would suggest relaxing during the Christmas period but if you are a bit keen the first part will be PTS which is quite simple.

choochoochoo

Established Member
I was on the course until June this year so 3.5 months. The course is a lot to take in and you have to put in some hours at home but the tutors are good and will always help you. Training will be done at hornsey on a mon- fri 9-5 (never stayed until 5pm) I would suggest relaxing during the Christmas period but if you are a bit keen the first part will be PTS which is quite simple.

I wouldn't read up ahead. I was keen like you to hit the ground running. However, unless you're already from the railway, even PTS can be a bit confusing without proper teaching.

Obviously once it's been taught to you, read up and re-read what you've covered during the day. Just enjoy the last few weeks of study-free evenings.

james123

Good stuff. What is the dress code prior to wearing uniform? I ask out of curiosity as i'll wear a suit until I'm told otherwise.

choochoochoo

Established Member
shirt & tie for induction (full 'whistle' not required)
collared shirt and trousers for training until uniform issued

Sikes 88

shirt & tie for induction (full 'whistle' not required)
collared shirt and trousers for training until uniform issued
I personally don’t think a shirt and tie is remotely necessary. Trousers with a smart jumper would suffice.

choochoochoo

Established Member
The induction letter i got stated:

'Arrangements have been made for all new entrants to receive Company Induction training. On
XXXXXXXXXX please report to GTR, Go Ahead House, 26-28 Addiscombe Road, Croydon,
CR9 5GA at 08:45 hrs. Please note that dress code is business dress (no jeans or trainers).'

Judge for yourself what you deem business dress is.

james123

I'm a geek and I like to play things safe, especially first impressions. . . suit.

Last edited:

james123

Just had a phone call to say they need to change my contract from Welwyn GC to Hornsey for permanent depot location. What is going on? Anyone know? It seems quite late in the day (after contracts and resignations and course/depot plans) to make a change like this.

Sikes 88

Today I received an email with lots of paperwork to go through. I shall be starting on 3rd of Jan. Anyone else got their paperwork yet for the class of Jan 2018? If not I'd guess that it's imminent (check your inbox).

Received the same call. It’s nothing to worry about. Certain depots are getting downsized and new ones getting built etc. Our course is in hornsey so it won’t really affect us too much. The problem arises when you have passed out and you have to travel an hour before you even get to work. What area do you reside in?

james123

Received the same call. It’s nothing to worry about. Certain depots are getting downsized and new ones getting built etc. Our course is in hornsey so it won’t really affect us too much. The problem arises when you have passed out and you have to travel an hour before you even get to work. What area do you reside in?

Shefford. It's quite a big change as it would change my commute from a 20 minute cycle and then 25 mins train to 20 min cycle then an hour or two on the train. Or 3 times longer in the car. It concerns me that things like this are happening at such a late stage.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
What is going on? Anyone know? It seems quite late in the day

Whats going on is that GTR is in a huge state of flux. There was a long list of depots that were going to close/open/decrease and now that list has been adjusted. Some depots, like Ashford, have been put back for some time. Establishment numbers have been changed on more than a few occasions.

What is also happening is that there is a massive reshuffle going on at the same time. Existing Drivers are going through PT&R and that process is taking a while. It has gone through a couple of stages and still has another couple to go. As that process continues the depot numbers are again, in a state of flux.

Add in the nightmare that has been a mass recruitment with no courses or DI's organized and you can see how much this has been forked up. Even those who have been recruited are going through the PT&R process.

(after contracts and resignations and course/depot plans) to make a change like this.

Even after you join the company and are still a Trainee. You can have your depot changed and you simply get transferred to a new depot.

tsr

Established Member
I personally don’t think a shirt and tie is remotely necessary. Trousers with a smart jumper would suffice.

Err on the smarter side. GTR senior management have a habit of turning up during the first few weeks of train crew training. They will notice people's appearance.

james123

Whats going on is that GTR is in a huge state of flux. There was a long list of depots that were going to close/open/decrease and now that list has been adjusted. Some depots, like Ashford, have been put back for some time. Establishment numbers have been changed on more than a few occasions.

What is also happening is that there is a massive reshuffle going on at the same time. Existing Drivers are going through PT&R and that process is taking a while. It has gone through a couple of stages and still has another couple to go. As that process continues the depot numbers are again, in a state of flux.

Add in the nightmare that has been a mass recruitment with no courses or DI's organized and you can see how much this has been forked up. Even those who have been recruited are going through the PT&R process.

Even after you join the company and are still a Trainee. You can have your depot changed and you simply get transferred to a new depot.

Thanks for the insight and update. I can understand the countless difficulties and problems with this sort of scale of situation but it is concerning to have problems before even starting. Don't get me wrong; I know this is still a very privileged position to be in with thousands that would bite my hand off for it.

George999

Thanks for the insight and update. I can understand the countless difficulties and problems with this sort of scale of situation but it is concerning to have problems before even starting. Don't get me wrong; I know this is still a very privileged position to be in with thousands that would bite my hand off for it.
It’s only a problem for you I’m afraid. The company will move people where they see fit for the best operational reason. It’s a huge task on their hands with the new timetables and depot changes.

djsmith200

Just had a phone call to say they need to change my contract from Welwyn GC to Hornsey for permanent depot location. What is going on? Anyone know? It seems quite late in the day (after contracts and resignations and course/depot plans) to make a change like this.

all we've been told (jan 10th on our contracts) is that we will be working at hornsey (during the course) depot allocation after that not even mentioned as lots can change

james123

It’s only a problem for you I’m afraid. The company will move people where they see fit for the best operational reason. It’s a huge task on their hands with the new timetables and depot changes.

I appreciate that and hope I don't sound like a spoiled child. Apart from the extra cost and time which I am willing to give for the role, I am concerned about the safety side. The commute was supposed to be no more than an hour for safety reasons and my would be a minimum of 1hr 20 mins but potentially 2 hours some times (each way).

George999

I appreciate that and hope I don't sound like a spoiled child. Apart from the extra cost and time which I am willing to give for the role, I am concerned about the safety side. The commute was supposed to be no more than an hour for safety reasons and my would be a minimum of 1hr 20 mins but potentially 2 hours some times (each way).
Totally understand mate. Once you’ve got your foot in the door and worked out what’s what, you can always discuss it with HR and find out your options. Highlighting the fact it may be a 2 hour journey may be a problem, although honesty really is the best policy and that is the right thing to do. You may also be able to mutually swap depots with someone once there. Not sure if that’s a definite option but you can only ask.
Hope it all works out for you.

james123

Totally understand mate. Once you’ve got your foot in the door and worked out what’s what, you can always discuss it with HR and find out your options. Highlighting the fact it may be a 2 hour journey may be a problem, although honesty really is the best policy and that is the right thing to do. You may also be able to mutually swap depots with someone once there. Not sure if that’s a definite option but you can only ask.
Hope it all works out for you.

I hope so to, I've given up a lot to do this. Thanks bud.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Err on the smarter side. GTR senior management have a habit of turning up during the first few weeks of train crew training. They will notice people's appearance.

Some executive management visited us for induction

But only person who visited during classroom was head of training.

So for induction I'd say shirt and tie. Especially as it's not driver specific training.

choochoochoo

Established Member

Welwyn already full of hitchin drivers leaving space at Hornsey only ?

Status
Not open for further replies.