• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Driver - Cricklewood & Hornsey (02/09/22)

Newboysouth

So I’ve just received confirmation that I’ve passed the online mini scaat! Happy is an understatement! Assessment day is next with only 2 weeks to prepare, I’m so nervous.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Newboysouth

Thank you. Mini scaat is online with letters rather than dots etc. job is trainee train driver which has been a dream of mine for a long long time

Tevion539

Ahh, I've only done conductor tests which is shapes (squares, arrows, circles etc) rather than dots. I presume it's the same premise where you'll need to get the same orientation etc.

Also, a career on the railway is all I've ever wanted other than flying. Not sure if I'd cope being a driver mind, especially having driven buses and coaches. I think a guard is where I'm best suited. Maybe in the future, though.

Amex88

Thank you. Mini scaat is online with letters rather than dots etc. job is trainee train driver which has been a dream of mine for a long long time
How quickly did you find out you passed the miniscat? My brother in law did it yesterday. Does it take long to find out? Thanks

RN23

Good luck to all! Hornsey is a nice starter depot for trainees - one traction and a small route card.
Thanks! :D
Just completed my online mini SCAAT....fingers crossed!

Has anyone received any further updates? I haven’t received the link for the mini scaat?
Did you receive the email from GTR if so check your junk email for an additional email with the link from OPC

MatthewLdn

Thanks! :D
Just completed my online mini SCAAT....fingers crossed!

Did you receive the email from GTR if so check your junk email for an additional email with the link from OPC
Yeah I’ve checked the junk email and nothing there. Logged into my account and the last email I’ve received was the confirmation of completed application on 13th September.

MatthewLdn

I sent an email last week for an update regarding my application but not heard back. Does anyone know if they have a number I could contact them on?

Twotwo

I sent an email last week for an update regarding my application but not heard back. Does anyone know if they have a number I could contact them on?

Best policy is to wait. I'm sure the last thing they want is to be pestered.

MatthewLdn

Best policy is to wait. I'm sure the last thing they want is to be pestered.
I understand, it’s just the majority of people on here who applied were invited to do the mini scaat test quite soon after completing the sjt, and I’ve yet to hear anything in regards to that, so thought I’d chase it up. Although maybe they’re still going through shortlisting.

Amex88

Tbh my friend recieved his miniscat results and is awaiting a date to attend the assessments. Still has not heard anything yet and it has been 2 weeks.

LC346

Hi has anyone heard anything back? Didnt recieve any email for the miniscat assessment. I just received the email saying there will be a delay in responding.

I understand, it’s just the majority of people on here who applied were invited to do the mini scaat test quite soon after completing the sjt, and I’ve yet to hear anything in regards to that, so thought I’d chase it up. Although maybe they’re still going through shortlisting.
Hi did they get back to you?

Charchar

Things have been moving quick for me so far,was notified today that I passed the assessment centre. Good luck everyone

Last edited:

Hustlequeen

Hi everyone, found out I passed the mini scaat today, wanted to know roughly how long it takes for the assessment centre n everything else to be done by? I’ve been offered a job that’s near a train driver salary in london but don’t start until January but I’d rather take the train driver job if I get it but wanted to know if it would all be done before start of December? (When I was going to resign from current role with GTR). I’m a BAME female.

Need2

Just out of interest, what has being a BAME female got anything to do with it?

Hustlequeen

Just out of interest, what has being a BAME female got anything to do with it?
I read a comment that said GTR have a recruitment drive to recruit a large number of females so thought as I’m female this might speed my application up.

Established Member
I read a comment that said GTR have a recruitment drive to recruit a large number of females so thought as I’m female this might speed my application up.

I think it was targeted at women, but open to anyone to apply.

It’s worrying that people now seem to openly expect preferential treatment in a recruitment process based on their characteristics, rather than their abilities. It isn’t “I’ve had X experience and I’m good at Y”, it’s now “I’m BAME and female, will that be an advantage?”.

I suppose the other side of that question is, should a white male expect a slower process?

Last edited:

Hustlequeen

I think it was targeted at women, but open to anyone to apply.

It’s worrying that people now seem to openly expect preferential treatment in a recruitment process based on their characteristics, rather than their abilities. It isn’t “I’ve had X experience and I’m good at Y”, it’s now “I’m BAME and female, will that be an advantage?”.

I suppose the other side of that question is, should a white male expect a slower process?
Of course it’s open to everyone, it’s just women are under represented so that’s why they’re looking for more women and especially bame women you don’t see many of them as train drivers, it’s like any job application at the bottom it says ‘we especially encourage applications from BAME and female applicants as we are currently under represented’. Majority of train drivers are white males so don’t think there will be a problem of that stopping.

Established Member
Of course it’s open to everyone, it’s just women are under represented so that’s why they’re looking for more women and especially bame women you don’t see many of them as train drivers, it’s like any job application at the bottom it says ‘we especially encourage applications from BAME and female applicants as we are currently under represented’.

Yes, they’re (rightly) encouraging more BAME/female applicants. That doesn’t mean once you’ve applied you should assume your application will be treated more favourably, or accelerated to be finished by December, which your statement above implied. I must say that comes across as somewhat entitled given how long many people have to wait.

Majority of train drivers are white males so don’t think there will be a problem of that stopping.

That’s because the current makeup reflects recruitment since the early 1980s or even before. Given measures mentioned above which all TOCs are now adopting (along with many industries), I don’t think anyone would seriously suggest being BAME or a female is in any way a disadvantage for applicants in 2022.

Last edited:

Twotwo

Of course it’s open to everyone, it’s just women are under represented so that’s why they’re looking for more women and especially bame women you don’t see many of them as train drivers, it’s like any job application at the bottom it says ‘we especially encourage applications from BAME and female applicants as we are currently under represented’. Majority of train drivers are white males so don’t think there will be a problem of that stopping.

Careful, as others have suggested you are implying you should be accelerated. Your attitude is a bit off in my opinion. Whilst they do want more women, they still want the best people for the job. A lot of the training groups I've seen have been fairly mixed and some groups majority men.

For reference I'm a female bame too and I'd like to think I got the job role based on my experiences and attitude not because of them 2 characteristics. But I can see why people may think it's the case now I suppose which is a shame...

Chippychips

Hi everyone, found out I passed the mini scaat today, wanted to know roughly how long it takes for the assessment centre n everything else to be done by? I’ve been offered a job that’s near a train driver salary in london but don’t start until January but I’d rather take the train driver job if I get it but wanted to know if it would all be done before start of December? (When I was going to resign from current role with GTR). I’m a BAME female.
Out of curiosity is the job that you've been offered in January in rail? Or something completely different like a banker?
Careful, as others have suggested you are implying you should be accelerated. Your attitude is a bit off in my opinion. Whilst they do want more women, they still want the best people for the job. A lot of the training groups I've seen have been fairly mixed and some groups majority men.

For reference I'm a female bame too and I'd like to think I got the job role based on my experiences and attitude not because of them 2 characteristics. But I can see why people may think it's the case now I suppose which is a shame...
I agree with you Twotwo. Personally I believe in merit. Regardless of gender or ethnicity.
Fortunately in this industry the OPC tests are based on merit.
Plus if mostly men apply in the rail industry, its pretty obvious more males will be in the role than females.

No different to the Nursing industry or Occupational Therapy industries which are mostly female dominated. Sometimes in life we gotta just sit back and admit "it is what it is..."

Hustlequeen

Out of curiosity is the job that you've been offered in January in rail? Or something completely different like a banker?

I agree with you Twotwo. Personally I believe in merit. Regardless of gender or ethnicity.
Fortunately in this industry the OPC tests are based on merit.
Plus if mostly men apply in the rail industry, its pretty obvious more males will be in the role than females.

No different to the Nursing industry or Occupational Therapy industries which are mostly female dominated. Sometimes in life we gotta just sit back and admit "it is what it is..."
The job I’ve been offered is in rail.

I don’t understand why people are getting touchy maybe because a bame female getting into a train driver job threatens them I don’t know I can assure you it’s clearly not a matter of being female and bame = getting the job, If that was the case then I would be telling my mum to apply, like I’ve said I currently work for GTR, have done for years, passed the driver tests to national standard on my first attempt few years ago and been offered another rail role 10k less than Thameslink driver salary. If I didn’t have the ‘qualities’ I wouldn’t be getting considered. Me thinking my application could be processed faster because they are TARGETING women in their recruitment drive is what it is, if that triggers you then that’s a you problem.

Twotwo

I don’t understand why people are getting touchy maybe because a bame female getting into a train driver job threatens them I don’t know I can assure you it’s clearly not a matter of being female and bame = getting the job, If that was the case then I would be telling my mum to apply, like I’ve said I currently work for GTR, have done for years, passed the driver tests to national standard on my first attempt few years ago and been offered another rail role 10k less than Thameslink driver salary. If I didn’t have the ‘qualities’ I wouldn’t be getting considered. Me thinking my application could be processed faster because they are TARGETING women in their recruitment drive is what it is, if that triggers you then that’s a you problem.

Honestly, just stop. Your not really helping matters with your attitude.
It's the entitlement in your posts thats probably irritated a few people, nothing about you being woman or bame and trust me ive spoken up against comments like that on here, but ive seen nothing of the sort here. So yes whilst they are encouraging more women to apply there's nothing to say they are accelerating women's application.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

I think there is a difference between encouraging and targeting the advert to female and BAME individuals (so there is a bigger pool of diverse and suitable applicants) and then assessing and progressing those applications for merit.

Ultimately the process takes as long as it takes; it’s the end result that matters in terms of makeup of trainee drivers, not necessarily whether it will be a month quicker for one person or another. In this regard, there needs to be consistency.

Need2

I really don’t think you understand what people are saying here. I asked the original question regarding your mention of female and BAME and took your answer at face value.
After your replies to others on this subject it appears I was wrong.
Stop digging a hole, it will only get deeper!

Hustlequeen

Honestly, just stop. Your not really helping matters with your attitude.
It's the entitlement in your posts thats probably irritated a few people, nothing about you being woman or bame and trust me ive spoken up against comments like that on here, but ive seen nothing of the sort here. So yes whilst they are encouraging more women to apply there's nothing to say they are accelerating women's application.
I asked a question about how long the process takes to get an average estimate but instead you to chose to concentrate on me saying that I’m bame and female when you could have said nothing if you had nothing helpful to say but instead you chose to be argumentative and bitter. Cant see where I was entitled. I didn’t say they must fast track women. I was thinking women could potentially be progressed faster as I said before. I saw another comment on this forum that said ‘unless you identify as female you won’t get a look in’ an exaggerated comment but shows me women are wanted so why wouldn’t I think it could be progressed faster. Am I saying I agree with it? No.