• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guards during strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dieseldriver

I find this whole 'scab' thing incredibly tedious. It is a person's right to agree/disagree with strike action and as much as it is our right to strike, it is also our right to not strike where we disagree with the action. Most people who label others as 'scabs' are merely jumping on a petty band wagon as they feel it is necessary to fit in with the majority instead of sensibly discussing the issue with the individual and trying to understand why they made the decision to come to work.
I am a member of a union and have been all my railway career but I like to think I am still capable of rational and empathetic discussion with people without resorting to bullying to fit in with a crowd.

theironroad

Established Member
I find this whole 'scab' thing incredibly tedious. It is a person's right to agree/disagree with strike action and as much as it is our right to strike, it is also our right to not strike where we disagree with the action. Most people who label others as 'scabs' are merely jumping on a petty band wagon as they feel it is necessary to fit in with the majority instead of sensibly discussing the issue with the individual and trying to understand why they made the decision to come to work.
I am a member of a union and have been all my railway career but I like to think I am still capable of rational and empathetic discussion with people without resorting to bullying to fit in with a crowd.

Unfortunately many of the people who break strikes arent willing to have a civil discussion with people. As soon as someone disagrees with them and puts forward the view they believe the person was wrong to break the strike, they run to management and say they are being victimised.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Unfortunately many of the people who break strikes arent willing to have a civil discussion with people. As soon as someone disagrees with them and puts forward the view they believe the person was wrong to break the strike, they run to management and say they are being victimised.

So how should the debate go then?

Person A: you shouldn’t have crossed the picket line

Person B: I know but I’ve got X, Y and Z reason why I had to go into work.

theironroad

Established Member
So how should the debate go then?

Person A: you shouldn’t have crossed the picket line

Person B: I know but I’ve got X, Y and Z reason why I had to go into work.

If only that is what would always happen.

Tbh, there will be very little debate between the two sides in messrooms in the current environment.

The result is either side avoids talking about anything that is not strictly related to the professional job.

It creates a less than pleasant work environment all round.

I will try to take my own advice too and withdraw from commenting on here about the guards dispute on swr in case I fall foul of the swr social media policy.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I assume that any rail staff who are not members of any union are treated the same way too ?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Tbh, there will be very little debate between the two sides in messrooms in the current environment.

The result is either side avoids talking about anything that is not strictly related to the professional job.

It creates a less than pleasant work environment all round.

More than anything else, this just sounds very immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.