• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guards interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

davethespread

Hi guys,have just passed my assessment at Southampton for a guards position out of Woking, what should i expect from the interview ie: what questions are asked what do i need to learn.
thanks, Dave.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danhenkes

I haven't done the SWT guards interview, however I did similar interviews with and they are mainly competency based. 'What if?' Questions for example.

Best of luck, my train home is a woking guard ;)

TEW

Established Member
The majority of questions will be on customer service. Think about lots of different aspects of customer service, and an example of when you have demonstrated that competency. Questions on teamwork will probable feature too.

Monty

Established Member
It's predominantly a competency based interview, you will be expected to provide examples of something you have done in a number of situations (Give example of when you have had to work to a set of rules or when youve had to go out of yor way to provide execellent customer service). You need to also reseach the role and find out exactly what is expected of you. Also read up on the company and learn the areas the company serves etc.

12guard4

Number 1 most important thing is SAFTEY. Everything you do must show you think about SAFTEY first. Second is customer service. You have to be customer focuses. Keep both in mind and you will be fine.

Tell me about a time you;

Dealt with an irate customer
Made and recified a mistake
Dealt with an emergency
Gave great customer service
Dealt with large groups of people
Had to break bad news to someone
Saw some terrible service
Worked as part of a team
Used discretion
Followed rules and regulations
Worked for long periods of time along
Communicated effectively
Had to do something you didn't want
Had to deal with large groups of people
Had to get a difficult message across
Solved a problem on your own
Worked in a health and safety conscious environment

And so on

davethespread

Hi again all, well I got asked if I could hang around after the interview and was offered the job there and then.I have also been passed fit for the roll so just waiting for the contract to arrive.I am due to start training on 9th may. Thanks everyone.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Thanks for answering these questions, I have also just recently passed an assessment centre for the same position, this time based at Fratton so it's a head start for me. Just waiting for them to complete all the assessment days. I believe they're holding 3 weeks, maybe more, of assessment days.

DennisM

Hi again all, well I got asked if I could hang around after the interview and was offered the job there and then.I have also been passed fit for the roll so just waiting for the contract to arrive.I am due to start training on 9th may. Thanks everyone.

When did they tell you your start date? I had an interview for guard the same day and have also been offered a job, but I'm still waiting for a date.

davethespread

When did they tell you your start date? I had an interview for guard the same day and have also been offered a job, but I'm still waiting for a date.

I got told straight away that they were starting a training course on 9th may and I had to give 4 weeks notice at work so I handed in notice immediately to make that date with the proviso that I could retract it if I failed medical or references were not OK

Deliverance

Thanks for answering these questions, I have also just recently passed an assessment centre for the same position, this time based at Fratton so it's a head start for me. Just waiting for them to complete all the assessment days. I believe they're holding 3 weeks, maybe more, of assessment days.

Pompeyfan is that for the commercial guard position that closed recently for the Fratton depot?

Status
Not open for further replies.