• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guess the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Wouldn't be the Liverpool to East Lancashire Road, Opened in the 20s as the first 'Intercity Road' now known as the East Lancs Road and classified as A580...

Robinson

Driving the full length of this motorway, you will find the speed limit changes 6 times. You will also find only 2 stretches of more than a mile between junctions. You will pass a major airport, cross a bridge that is a congestion headache at times and pass a junction that has not been fully open for years.

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
Hmmm, only things getting close are the M8 or M42, both violate the junctions rule though.

Could say it's the M60, but it's really not, again, violates the junction mileage, and the speed limits don't change often enough.

The only Mways I can think of with major bridge congestion headaches, are the M60, M6 (Thelwall), M25 although the bridge isn't on the M25, and possibly the M4.

My final guess is therefore M60, with the speed limit change and never fully opened junction at the A6(M)

Robinson

Correct answer is one you ruled out.

Sorry, I realised my wording was bad (please forgive me, I have Asperger's and I wasn't paying close attention at the time; sometimes I don't say what I meant).

I think to be fair I shall have to disqualify myself. I was thinking of the M8 (where I said never I should have said not for years; the junction being junction 19, where drivers on the eastbound carriageway have not been able to access the A814).

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
As nothing has happened for a while, I shall post a new one:

I am a relatively recent road to be constructed provides an important link between the areas of the country it serves. One of its junctions is notorious for traffic problems - what am I?

gg1

Established Member
As nothing has happened for a while, I shall post a new one:

I am a relatively recent road to be constructed provides an important link between the areas of the country it serves. One of its junctions is notorious for traffic problems - what am I?

Is it the A46 Coventry eastern bypass and the delightful Tollbar Island?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
No, but you are near the terminus of this road which also has junction numbers.

judethegreat

No, but you are near the terminus of this road which also has junction numbers.

A14 again?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Your choice of feature is half-correct. The A7 ends at a point where two such roads terminate (it and the A1), not just intersect - and, until recently, the A8 also terminated at this precise location, until the tram folk decided otherwise of course :lol:

The A7 itself however is correct.

Sorry, only just seen this thread...
To be pedantic, only the A1 ends in Edinburgh, the A7 and A8 START there (as did the A9 until the M9 came along, albeit not quite at this junction). Edinburgh being the centre of the sevens, eights and nines, London the ones to sixes..
Anyway, what are we doing going on about roads? Of all the things to get me to write something.....

Ivo

Established Member
The fact that we are looking close to Coventry with an awkward junction and junction numbers - as opposed to "motorway" - suggests it may be the A14.

If correct the floor is open unless not claimed before this evening.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A14 again?

The fact that we are looking close to Coventry with an awkward junction and junction numbers - as opposed to "motorway" - suggests it may be the A14.

If correct the floor is open unless not claimed before this evening.
Yes, it is the A14. With the junction being Catthorpe (what a horrible thing).

judethegreat

Go on then.. This number was originally applied to a road previously featured in this thread, now it refers to a completely different road which runs between two places beginning with "A"

Ivo

Established Member
Very quickly, I apologise for calling an open floor. I hadn't noticed judethegreat had answered already! My bad :oops:

At present, I don't know.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Go on then.. This number was originally applied to a road previously featured in this thread, now it refers to a completely different road which runs between two places beginning with "A"

A92? I don't have a clue really.

judethegreat

A92? I don't have a clue really.

Nope.
The original application of the number didn't last long, and was a very long time ago. When they first numbered the roads, they tended to give what bypasses there were, especially the big new arterial roads, a seperate number to the one they bypassed. Only later did they realise it made more sense to move the old number to the new road and renumber the old one.
I guess this still doesn't help much unless you have a really old map (I think mine which shows this road half built, half under construction is 1940s) or check out www.sabre-roads.org.uk. But come on - there can't be many roads that go from an A to an A...
Its short
In sight of an estuary becoming the sea...

judethegreat

*shoots question to put it out of its prolonged misery*

A403; Avonmouth to Aust?

Pothole open.
Thanks for that :) Tis indeed. Was the tag of Western Avenue out of London before it became the A40, the old road becoming A4020.
Blimey, didn't think that'd be that hard..
All yours if ya wannit...

Status
Not open for further replies.