• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guess Where quiz 2005-2006 with prize!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Correct 117! it was Paddington with King Edward I non stop to Stratford-upon-avon with 67029 on the rear

next up:
PIC_0030.jpg

Sprinter

317/5s are progressively having thier first class sections declassified, some have been done, some still ahve to be converted. I don't know which have been done and which haven't!

Julian G

Established Member
Sprinter said:
Since no one has got this right yet....the purple pauper was photographed at Hertford East.
is that the only 317 working of the day on the Hertford East Branch?

Sprinter

Purple Paupers now run most if not all Hertford East trains, as since the new timetable Hertford East trains (on Mon-Sat) are routed via Tottenham Hale (not Seven Sisters as previously). This change has made some 317's into a /5 subclass which are all standard class only.

The 315s are now increasingly concentrated on trains via Seven Sisters and to Chingford (not often you get a 317 up the Chingford line in service nowdays.)

Coxster

Established Member
Hmm, so that's why you wanted it hosted! I think it is above a tunnel whilst Eastleigh p-way were hard at work (having a picnic).

I think it is on the Eastleigh to Fareham line as that is the only single electrified line I can think of that you would have a reason to be around as it is under the control of Eastleigh P-way. As Thomas has already said Tapnage Tunnel (81.35-81.40) I will say it is Fareham Tunnel No.2 (83.21-83.46) as Fareham No.1 (83.12-83.20) just carries the M27 IIRC(?). These are the only other tunnels on the Knole single. I suppose you are going to tell me that there is a Fareham gang and they do the Fareham tunnels...

Just over two years ago a contractor was killed in No.2 tunnel. Details about the recommendations etc are on the RSSB site http://www.rssb.co.uk/fareham.asp

As for the other image, is it Southampton tunnel?

TheSlash

Established Member
It's good, but it's obviously not your natural answer because you've quoted mileages and refered to that obscure contractor thing
It's Highlands road looking towards Fareham junction. Keep the picture for reference because the line is being converted to a new type of 4th rail electrification, photos when i get time...

Coxster

Established Member
TheSlash said:
It's good, but it's obviously not your natural answer because you've quoted mileages and refered to that obscure contractor thing
It's Highlands road looking towards Fareham junction. Keep the picture for reference because the line is being converted to a new type of 4th rail electrification, photos when i get time...
I looked on Google for images of each tunnel to compare with. I quoted mileages etc to try and make my post look more interesting ;)

Julian G

Established Member
TheSlash said:
croxley branch from Watford Junction?

T

Tom

Plus I never knew the Croxley Branch was electrified at 750V DC...

devon_metro

Established Member
Seth said:
http://www.loveplums.co.uk/Tube/Croxley_Green_line_1.html

Can't see any holes for neggie insulators - could be wrong though.
That site has another new domain...

Well according to UH http://underground-history.co.uk/croxley.php

It should be 4th rail as it was part of the Bakerloo? Don't quote me on it though.

EDIT: Maybe not, looks like that was only ever served by mainline although one of the top pictures show the branch from the mainline clearly with a 4th rail.

Coxster

Established Member
Seth said:
Watford Junction - Croxley Green was. ;)
I'm guessing he got confused with the Watford/Croxley Met line (not that he'll admit it ;))

Guinness

Established Member
Croxley was 3rd Rail only not a 4th Rail insight as it never became part of the Underground!

Under current plans things could change then. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.