• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guide Bridge to Wigan via Warrington

Andyh82

Established Member
I travelled from Guide Bridge to Wigan on Saturday.

Due to engineering work there was only one train per hour between Manchester and Wigan North Western, so some itineraries I was being offered included going via Warrington and using TFW and Avanti

Would this have been valid with the normal £7.50 day return and would it have worked the barriers at Warrington (assuming there are any, if I’d wanted to break my journey) and not raised any eyebrows with any conductors on either service

I can’t find this option being offered on any future dates as future weekends are confused by strike action and the engineering work may have finished.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Guide Bridge to Wigan is not valid via Warrington on an "any permitted" ticket such as a day return, it is valid by routes defined on map NN at https://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps which means direct or via Bolton from Manchester.
Unless the route via Warrington is 3 miles or less more than the direct route via Atherton, in which case it would be valid also. (Piccadilly-Wigan NW 20.75 miles, Piccadilly-Warrington BQ 22 miles, Warrington BQ-Wigan NW 11.75 miles, so it isn't.)

1706558691230.png

Last edited: