• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guildford to London Road routes via Surbiton this Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Hi there

I looked up the last train services from Guildford to Horsley this coming Saturday and saw that there was a service which required a bus journey.

Now the service was routed via Woking, changing at Surbiton for the bus. The point to point journey by train takes 13 minutes. This journey is over 1 hour 40 minutes! What surprised me was that the cost of the ticket was no more than the point to point.
(http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/GLD/HSY/180114/2245/updatejourney)

I then looked up services from Guildford to London Road and again a service was given which was even cheaper but still via Surbiton.
(http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/GLD/LRD/180114/2245/dep)

Have they put an easement in place allow passengers to travel that way? Would it just apply to the last train service or all train services across the day/weekend. In theory passengers could buy a return from Guildford to London Road, just to travel to and from Surbiton.

As it is, I know some people who might be coming from Horsley to Guildford and so long as they don't mind travelling both ways via Surbiton, it might work out cheaper to get a London Road ticket. I suspect the increased hassle might put them off of course. However going back they would have no choice if they got the last train.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
You should never have to pay extra to use an advertised engineering diversion. (Though fairly obviously if you come up with your own bright ideas about a longer diversion to stay on a train all the way you'd be on your own.)

If a journey planner was to show a higher price, all that means is they've not loaded the necessary easement - my advice would be to just buy your normal ticket at the station...

Last edited:

Veteran Member
I think this is an NRE error: if you alter the date to Friday, when the same journey via Surbiton is shown (but both halves by train) the fare is £12-odd instead of £4-odd, and if you click on BUY it throws up an error message.

However I suppose if you do a printout for Saturday, the lower price ought theoretically to be accepted.

Travelling outward from Horsley via Surbiton surely wouldn't work anyway, though, as there's no RRB?

Status
Not open for further replies.