• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWML inner suburban transfer to tfl 10/12/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Anyone know if this is going to result in any immediate changes to service provision at these stations . are they for example going to be staffed from first to last train (24 hours in some circumstances)

Is Ealing Broadway going to be taken over by MTR Crossrail or London Underground

Are the platforms going to be compulsory ticket areas and are they going to be subject to tfl bylaws eg no drinking.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
Only one I can answer for certain is Ealing Broadway transfers to MTR Crossrail.

They’ve committed to staffing whenever trains are running; however there’s been no indication as to when that starts.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Which routes will be transferred over from GWR to TfL? Will the routes that get transferred over become part of London Overground?

JN114

Established Member
Which routes will be transferred over from GWR to TfL? Will the routes that get transferred over become part of London Overground?

No services get transferred at this stage; just station ownership/management/staffing.

Services that MTR Crossrail operate will be branded as TfL Rail initially; Elizabeth line once they’re running through the Crossrail core route.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Heathrow connect from may 2018 to crossrail GWR stoppers to reading from May 2019 although apart from a few stations tfl is taking over the operation of stations between acton main line and taplow (excluding burnham and slough. I believe)

JN114

Established Member
Heathrow connect from may 2018 to crossrail GWR stoppers to reading from May 2019 although apart from a few stations tfl is taking over the operation of stations between acton main line and taplow (excluding burnham and slough. I believe)

TfL are taking over Acton ML; Ealing Broadway; West Ealing; Hanwell; Southall; Hayes & Harlington; West Drayton; Iver; Langley; Burnham and Taplow.

GWR service pattern out of Paddington has not been decided (or at least not been publicised) yet. Crossrail are going to operate stopping services from Reading through the core. That’s all that we know so far. To say they’re “taking over” GWR services is false - there is no transference of train services from GWR to Crossrail - unless of course you are counting GWR’s obligations to Heathrow Connect.

MarlowDonkey

To say they’re “taking over” GWR services is false - there is no transference of train services from GWR to Crossrail

The existing daytime off-peak stopping service beyond Hayes is four trains per hour. All stop at Twyford, Maidenhead, Slough, West Drayton, Hayes & Harlington and Ealing Broadway. Some stop at a selection of Taplow, Burnham, Langley, Iver and Southall.

I had presumed that Crossrail were going to inherit these services, perhaps with even more stops.

Slough will presumably still get stops on fasts to Oxford. What's the service going to be like to Maidenhead and Twyford? With the electrification only in use as far as Maidenhead, there's currently a handful of 387 trains that are non-stop to Maidenhead.

matt_world2004

Established Member
TfL are taking over Acton ML; Ealing Broadway; West Ealing; Hanwell; Southall; Hayes & Harlington; West Drayton; Iver; Langley; Burnham and Taplow.

GWR service pattern out of Paddington has not been decided (or at least not been publicised) yet. Crossrail are going to operate stopping services from Reading through the core. That’s all that we know so far. To say they’re “taking over” GWR services is false - there is no transference of train services from GWR to Crossrail - unless of course you are counting GWR’s obligations to Heathrow Connect.
There is transferrence of services from GwR to crossrail. The extra two trains per hour that run between Hayes & Harlington and Paddington are going when TfL rail starts on the 20th May. When the core Crossrail service starts between reading and the core the GwR service between Hayes & Harlington and Ealing Broadway will reduce to at least two trains oer hour and possibly one or no trains

JN114

Established Member
There is no transference of services from GWR to TfL.

GWR will cease operating certain trains and operate others - their plans are not published; but they will be operating some form of relief line service even after Crossrail starts.

The services that GWR cease running will be replaced by similar services operated by Crossrail - but that isn’t a transfer.

matt_world2004

Established Member
There is no transference of services from GWR to TfL.

GWR will cease operating certain trains and operate others - their plans are not published; but they will be operating some form of relief line service even after Crossrail starts.

The services that GWR cease running will be replaced by similar services operated by Crossrail - but that isn’t a transfer.
before the extra service to terminal 5 was announced they were published on the Crossrail website, it was something like two trains per hour stopping at Hayes & Ealing Broadway off peak, reducing to one train per hour stopping at Ealing Broadway peak.

Platform signs starting to appear in New Johnson fonts at several stations on the GWML.

Attachments

• 68373D0A-20C6-43DB-961C-9B7827F57C23.jpeg
    68373D0A-20C6-43DB-961C-9B7827F57C23.jpeg
    965.7 KB · Views: 325

D365

Veteran Member
They will probably put a sticker over ‘Connect’ post May...lol

It looks like the "Change here for Heathrow Connect" subtitle is the sticker.

Never mind - that was grime on my laptop screen :oops:

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
How many trains per hour? Or is that too much to ask for lol

It had a service pattern on the website of each station before the terminal 5 changes came in I bekieve ot was 4tph each direction I could be wrong,

Non Multi

I decided to walk down to Taplow station today and have a look around to see if any changes were made over the weekend:

• There's a tiny bit of New Johnston signage up with the station information enamel sign by the ticket office door, as well as one for the platform directions. They have prohibited alcohol consumption on the station. As the station is not manned for most of the day and all weekend, I doubt there's any way this rule can be strictly enforced at the moment.
  • The rather tired 'double arrow' sign that used to hang off the ticket office building has gone.
  • The station name signage (in Helvetica font) now have a blank white space where the station operator name should be.
  • The timetable display is still GWR, there are TfL posters, one with station information, the other stating that a new footbridge with lifts will be built over the relief line only (Apparently there's an argument with NR, DfT and TfL as TfL is now required to build a fully accessible footbridge to completely replace the 1884 structure, which will now not be repaired).
  • The temporary Bailey footbridge still retains its signs in the First GWR typeface.
  • The car park is now managed by NCP.
  • Much of the FGW blue on the station is now grey (primer?). A bit of the station woodwork round the Gents toilet is another shade of blue (TfL Rail blue?)
  • The new ticket machine installed last week features a long vertical touchscreen. This now displays the TfL Rail user interface, this consists of 3 main options: next train info, ticket purchase/collection and a London Connections map that handily is centred on the TfL Rail line out of Liverpool Street! The westernmost station shown is Slough. A sticker on the machine states that you can use Oyster (however as there's only a round blanking piece on the machine for a oyster reader, I doubt this is true yet). Another sticker states the machine is card payment only (with a contactless reader), like the one it replaced, but the coin slot is not blanked off. I found the user interface a bit slower than on the old S&B machine it replaced. I also couldn't find Maidenhead (the next station to the west) in the popular destinations menu, so had to type it in.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I decided to walk down to Taplow station today and have a look around to see if any changes were made over the weekend:

• There's a tiny bit of New Johnston signage up with the station information enamel sign by the ticket office door, as well as one for the platform directions. They have prohibited alcohol consumption on the station. As the station is not manned for most of the day and all weekend, I doubt there's any way this rule can be strictly enforced at the moment.
  • The rather tired 'double arrow' sign that used to hang off the ticket office building has gone.
  • The station name signage (in Helvetica font) now have a blank white space where the station operator name should be.
  • The timetable display is still GWR, there are TfL posters, one with station information, the other stating that a new footbridge with lifts will be built over the relief line only (Apparently there's an argument with NR, DfT and TfL as TfL is now required to build a fully accessible footbridge to completely replace the 1884 structure, which will now not be repaired).
  • The temporary Bailey footbridge still retains its signs in the First GWR typeface.
  • The car park is now managed by NCP.
  • Much of the FGW blue on the station is now grey (primer?). A bit of the station woodwork round the Gents toilet is another shade of blue (TfL Rail blue?)
  • The new ticket machine installed last week features a long vertical touchscreen. This now displays the TfL Rail user interface, this consists of 3 main options: next train info, ticket purchase/collection and a London Connections map that handily is centred on the TfL Rail line out of Liverpool Street! The westernmost station shown is Slough. A sticker on the machine states that you can use Oyster (however as there's only a round blanking piece on the machine for a oyster reader, I doubt this is true yet). Another sticker states the machine is card payment only (with a contactless reader), like the one it replaced, but the coin slot is not blanked off. I found the user interface a bit slower than on the old S&B machine it replaced. I also couldn't find Maidenhead (the next station to the west) in the popular destinations menu, so had to type it in.
I thought TfL were making the fast platforms step free in preperation for a weekend service,

Hayes has lost its station signage and is still in a tatty state but it it being knocked down so I doubt they will do much.

Non Multi

I thought TfL were making the fast platforms step free in preperation for a weekend service,

Hayes has lost its station signage and is still in a tatty state but it it being knocked down so I doubt they will do much.
At Taplow the main line platforms (1&2) are too low for passenger use and have been decommissioned. Those platforms have been fenced off for several years.

If there is a Sunday service at Taplow, it will be like the service Burnham gets today - one that's quite often a rail replacement bus to Slough.

matt_world2004

Established Member
At Taplow the main line platforms (1&2) are too low for passenger use and have been decommissioned. Those platforms have been fenced off for several years.

If there is a Sunday service at Taplow, it will be like the service Burnham gets today - one that's quite often a rail replacement bus to Slough.
According to Wiki they may be used when the fast tracks are used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taplow_railway_station

matt_world2004

Established Member
Somewhat OT, but that article seriously needs cleaning up. I don't think a Reading-Slough shuttle is being planned anymore, and the Class 800 inaugural run has nothing to do with the station.
I get the impression with the heavy emphasis of the Taplow Rail User Group that whoever wrote the article is somehow linked to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.