• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 1st catering now weekdays (& before 7:30pm) only, and not for Paddington Oxford customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I thought GWR had Cornish Tea grown in Cornwall - Yorkshire Tea is grown in India I believe
Cornish Tea is no more grown in Cornwall than Yorkshire Tea is grown in Wakefield, or Dorset Tea in Dorchester. Tregothnan Tea is grown in the Duchy, near to Truro. It is exceedingly expensive and wouldn't be to my taste even at 10% of the cost. Cornish Tea is 'made' in the same factory that produces Cornish Coffee, which equally is not grown in the famed Blue Mountains of Camborne. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RT4038

Established Member
Why not take it out of the hands of the railway altogether and do as they do on Japanese trains where the trolley service is provided by independents?
Probably because no independent wants it. Simply not enough (any) money to be made , in an environment where it is difficult to staff.

Master29

Established Member
As a regular traveller in first class I can assure you that the kitchens are used but not necessarily for the preperation of food. Both trollies are stabled and stocked from there . The coffee is brewed there and other water heated there for tea and porridge. Sandwiches are provided on some trains but these are pre-packed and not prepared on board. The remaining Pullman services do use the kitchen but I do wish they would re-instate the breakfast which was regularly over subscribed on the South Wales route.
Wow, an entire half coach to boil some water. GWR excel themselves. As far as I`m aware there is very little that comes from the kitchens regarding the trolley.

trebor79

Established Member
Is it an excuse for the car? Stopping at a Service station isn't really any different to getting take-away food at the railway station before boarding. Except of course you can eat when you like on a train rather than in the car when you need to stop.
It's a time thing. But the time I've driven to the station in time to get the train etc, the door to door journey is actually about the same, but half an hour quicker in the car.
So if I can get breakfast on the train any more, I might as well have it at home, leave half an hour later and save myself £90 as well.
Decent catering is a draw.

irish_rail

Established Member
Wow, an entire half coach to boil some water. GWR excel themselves. As far as I`m aware there is very little that comes from the kitchens regarding the trolley.
It isn't half a coach too be fair. Bare in mind the driving cab takes up probably a third of the coach, the kitchen a third and then a third of it is seating.

robert thomas

No. not relevant at all. You're trying to change the argument. I know full well the DfT specified the kitchen units. The layout of them and GWR hardly using them are two different arguments.
But GWR does use them. Where else can they store the trollies and the stock , and brew coffee, heat water etc? The fact that there is not a full meal service on every train is regrettable but I can't see that being restored in the forseeable future given the financial constraints they operate under.

Master29

Established Member
But GWR does use them. Where else can they store the trollies and the stock , and brew coffee, heat water etc? The fact that there is not a full meal service on every train is regrettable but I can't see that being restored in the forseeable future given the financial constraints they operate under.
The trollies have their own compartment. As said before water heating is a poor return for a whole kitchen don't you think?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
People are overlooking here that on the HSTs the IETs replaced there was both a guards office within the TGS (separate to the cycle/luggage storage space) and a ‘crew bunk’ in the TRFB coach. Both of these are now accommodated in the crew area which ajoins the kitchen.

It’s funny how nobody said these were a waste of space when on an HST but now the equivalent is included on an IET it is!

There’s more than just cooking equipment in there…

gallafent

A quick aside on the original topic of this thread:

From https://www.gwr.com/travelling-with-us/first-class/food-and-drink :
We aim to offer a complimentary First Class at-seat trolley on high-speed services starting their journey 06:00-19:30 during the week, but this is not guaranteed.

No First Class catering is offered on the following routes: Penzance – Cardiff/Gloucester, Paddington – Newbury/Bedwyn, or Paddington – Oxford, Reading – Gatwick.

So far so good, though weekends are only "mentioned by omission" but, from https://www.gwr.com/your-tickets/ways-to-save/weekend-upgrades :

Weekend upgrades​

Enjoy the comfort of First Class for as little as £10 extra.
When you’re on a long journey, little touches can make all the difference. And at the weekend, we often have space in First Class if you want to kick back and relax.

• spacious seats, all with tables and extra legroom
  • USB sockets and enhanced Wi-Fi
  • complimentary snackbox, and hot and cold drinks served at your seat
It’s easy to upgrade, the price just depends on the number of zones you travel through. When you’re on board, talk to one of our friendly team. They’ll let you know if any seats are available.

And even if you need to change to another GWR train as part of your trip, you’ll only pay one fare for the whole journey.

Upgrades start from as little as £10 extra.

Good to know​

GWR First upgrades aren’t available on services run by other train companies.

Although we aim to offer an at-seat service on our weekend high-speed trains as shown in our timetables, we can’t guarantee this.

So, about that last sentence, does it mean that at weekends, if the
Trolley service
symbol is present for a given train in the timetable / route planner, the complementary snackbox and hot and cold drinks served at your seat in first class should be provided (though this is not guaranteed) to weekend first passengers? Or is there some other symbol for "first class free stuff"?

Master29

Established Member
A quick aside on the original topic of this thread:

From https://www.gwr.com/travelling-with-us/first-class/food-and-drink :

So far so good, though weekends are only "mentioned by omission" but, from https://www.gwr.com/your-tickets/ways-to-save/weekend-upgrades :

So, about that last sentence, does it mean that at weekends, if the
Trolley service
symbol is present for a given train in the timetable / route planner, the complementary snackbox and hot and cold drinks served at your seat in first class should be provided (though this is not guaranteed) to weekend first passengers? Or is there some other symbol for "first class free stuff"?
As far as I know there is an at seat first class trolley at weekends as there are no buffet cars where you used to take your ticket for your offerings.

Towers

Established Member
People are overlooking here that on the HSTs the IETs replaced there was both a guards office within the TGS (separate to the cycle/luggage storage space) and a ‘crew bunk’ in the TRFB coach. Both of these are now accommodated in the crew area which ajoins the kitchen.

It’s funny how nobody said these were a waste of space when on an HST but now the equivalent is included on an IET it is!

In fairness the guards’ office is replaced by the rear cab, guards don’t often work from the small crew area which is essentially just two tip-up seats and tables in the doorways, although the catering crews make use of it between runs with the trolley. There is of course also the fact that the location of the guards accomodation in an HST TGS allowed for efficient management of the cycle spaces immediately adjacent to it, which it’s unversally agreed worked very well.

Master29

Established Member

Firstly, they weren't designed for first group. Besides, having a crew rest area is not an issue. It's a pointless kitchen used for only boiled water it seems. Combined with the IET chestnut "there is no buffet because it will take up 16 standard seats" this seems an illogical argument. How many 5 car HST's with kitchen units did GWR ever have by the way?

steeevooo

Firstly, they weren't designed for first group. Besides, having a crew rest area is not an issue. It's a pointless kitchen used for only boiled water it seems. Combined with the IET chestnut "there is no buffet because it will take up 16 standard seats" this seems an illogical argument. How many 5 car HST's with kitchen units did GWR ever have by the way?
But as noted in https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ddington-oxford-customers.252937/post-6381234 as well as other posts, it is not just "a pointless kitchen used for only boiled water".

Recently travelled from Dundee to Edinburgh FC, only given a coffee but was a short trip. Then two days later Edinburgh to KX. Had an omelette style thing very small and a large table spoon of tangy baked beans. Not really impressed and hungry by time got to London. They kept pointing out over loudspeaker that basically it's an extra that made me feel I should be grateful for getting it as its free. Well it's not free, I've paid extra, since when is looking after the customers bad thing.

GWR was poor from Paddington to Taunton as was Northern Rail Carlisle to Glasgow but did expect that.

Scotrail first allow you to eat your bodyweight in shortbread but the coffee is nescafe granules. Tastes awful, at least go for freeze dried. Also no coffee between Aberdeen and Inverness. I would have even liked the nescafe.

Avanti definitely best with a toasted cheese sandwich thing and two glasses of wine between Birmingham and Carlisle.

I'm definitely not complaining about the staff, very difficult getting trolleys through train and always friendly.

Now for such long journeys I think people would love something a little nicer and put up with it reflected on first class price. I loved travelling by train but I'm tempted to fly drive next time. Mainly to access other places than the big towns and cities but also because I don't think the rail companies have tempted me enough. Its a shame because its good but could be really great.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I rarely go first class from Pad-Cdf because of the prohibitive cost and the catering offer, which is pathetic. I don't understand how GWR can offer such a poor experience and expect such a high fare for it. Obviously there is no competition on our railways to speak of, as they wouldn't survive in the real commercial world.

Unfortunately it looks like Grand Union will be delayed by years so the gravy train will keep running.
There are many cheap upgrades available, I find GWR to be one of the cheapest operators with first, besides for GA and SWR on weekends.
As a regular traveller in first class I can assure you that the kitchens are used but not necessarily for the preperation of food. Both trollies are stabled and stocked from there . The coffee is brewed there and other water heated there for tea and porridge. Sandwiches are provided on some trains but these are pre-packed and not prepared on board. The remaining Pullman services do use the kitchen but I do wish they would re-instate the breakfast which was regularly over subscribed on the South Wales route.
I always thought GWR never took advantage of Pullman Dining’s popularity and should roll it out on a few more services. It seems they just want it as a headline for some spin on the website so they can say they offer it but don’t want the operational hassle of doing so.
Greater Anglia seem to be gradually reducing their offering. Very disappointed to find they no longer do porridge last time I took the train to London. Another reason to use the car.
They still do egg and cress sandwiches, pastries, cakes and confectionary and fruit with hot and cold drinks, their offering is still superior to GWR and LNER (besides the bacon roll they do).

I always thought GWR never took advantage of Pullman Dining’s popularity and should roll it out on a few more services. It seems they just want it as a headline for some spin on the website so they can say they offer it but don’t want the operational hassle of doing so.
Funny you should say that as that’s pretty much what the managing director said when asked in a staff q and a as to why the Pullman is offered despite its high cost.

Geoff DC

Back in the late 60s/70s, as an Officer in the Merchant Navy I often had to travel by train to join ships across the UK.
I had some appetite back then and was used to having my food cooked & served to me (Butler or Silver Service)
I took it for granted that I could get lunch or dinner on the train and I can't remember a bad meal.
LNER services out of Kings X stand out for me, I still remember the big fat Dover Soles they served - stunning & great service too.
These days - living in Penzance - I opt to take my own food & wine on GWR, by the time Pullman dining is served (after Plymouth) we are almost in London.
And since the IETs have taken over, XC voyagers & XC 1st catering offer a far better experience than GWR, apart from the silly prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.