• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 1W41 timetable anomaly 2017-08-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallafent

There's a disagreement between the various available ways of determining the arrival time of this train at Oxford.

The published timetable (fetched today from GWR's website, attached) has it arriving at 2117, which is eight minutes earlier than all the other sources I've tried.

There's no mention of the service being altered in the planned engineering document for this week (fetched today, attached). I don't see any other “alteration” timetables obviously available on GWR's site to download.

A journey search on GWR's site, or RTT, or Google Maps (for example), has it arriving at 2125.

RTT doesn't have this marked as VAR or STP, it is WTT with the 2025 arrival. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C22461/2017/08/30/advanced

How can this be right? Is the published GWR timetable simply an oversight, stating the Oxford arrival time eight minutes early? If so, why has this not been corrected at some point since the timetable was published before its commencement in May? It's a pretty large discrepancy!

I note, though, that RTT states “Runs SSuX between 03/07/2017 to 06/10/2017” — perhaps this service ran as timetabled until the third of July, and perhaps it will after the sixth of October! Surely if so, though, the correct timings should be available in the paper summary timetable which covers that period … it's a substantial proportion of the period for which this timetable is ostensibly valid.

I assume that it's simply that GWR hasn't bothered to publish an accurate timetable for this sub-period, deciding that it's “close enough” and not worth the trouble to publish the correct times for the summer alterations. Somebody trying to catch a bus connection (for example) at Oxford station would probably not see it as “close enough” if the 8 minute discrepancy meant they missed their bus.

Attachments

• GW1705.E03.A7.513000.00.WEB(3).pdf
    115.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Week 22 Saturday 26 August to Friday 1 September(1).pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 12
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
Looking at the "changes to printed timetables" below the pdf files:
https://www.gwr.com/~/media/gwr/pdf...changes-to-printed-timetables-may-2017-v7.pdf

It states with regard to the 20:22 service:

Timetable E1: London to Heathrow and Reading (local services)

Mondays to Fridays

2022 London Paddington to Great Malvern now stops at Twyford 2048 from 3 July
(to let passengers off only)

and

Timetable E3 London Paddington, Slough and Reading to Oxford (fast services)

Mondays to Fridays

2022 London Paddington to Oxford now calls 4 minutes later at Reading and 8 minutes later at Oxford from 3 July

and

Timetable E5 London Paddington and Oxford to Worcester and Hereford

Mondays to Fridays

2022 London Paddington to Great Malvern now runs later between Reading and Great Malvern from 3 July

It appears that they updated the pdf files for E1 and E5 with regard to this train, but forgot to update E3.

Human error - nothing more - I'd suggest you tweet/email them and let them know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.