• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Advances not working/available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
I'm trying to book travel in December and January with GWR at the moment, but for some reason even dates 2 months away are not offering any advance tickets (not even showing a price option greyed out). Is there something going on that I'm not aware of regarding a change in policy, or something else like a system problem?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

father_jack

This is text from the latest email, looks like there wasn't one last Friday

Please find the latest details of current GWR booking horizons, as of 13/10/23.

GWR Booking Horizon:

Monday to Friday services
are open for reservations until Friday 19th January 2024 (T-14)

Saturday services are open for reservations until Saturday 6th January 2024 (T-12)

Sunday services are open for reservations until Sunday 31st December 2023 (T-11)

brad465

Established Member
This is text from the latest email, looks like there wasn't one last Friday
Not according to the Mixing Deck with the dates below:

1698274561972.png
(Image of GWR Mixing Deck with Taunton-Crayford return journey programmed in for 20th Dec 2023 and 3rd Jan 2024)

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Not according to the Mixing Deck with the dates below:

(Image of GWR Mixing Deck with Taunton-Crayford return journey programmed in for 20th Dec 2023 and 3rd Jan 2024)
Looks like the issue is with Southeastern, as doing a search for Taunton to Paddington is giving me Advances starting at £29.50 in both directions (from £61.50 for the outward journey and £50.50 for the return in First Class.)

father_jack

Buy the advances to and from Paddington and use contactless (oyster if you have a railcard) onward to Crayford.

brad465

Established Member
Looks like the issue is with Southeastern, as doing a search for Taunton to Paddington is giving me Advances starting at £29.50 in both directions (from £61.50 for the outward journey and £50.50 for the return in First Class.)
Buy the advances to and from Paddington and use contactless (oyster if you have a railcard) onward to Crayford.
I'll see if I can contact SE about the issue first, it definitely wasn't always an issue as I've used Taunton-Crayford advances plenty before, and they're a lot cheaper than an Advance to/from Paddington and Oyster the remainder (to the point that current Paddington Advances are only slightly cheaper in total than an open return for the full journey to Crayford).

I've managed to have a web chat with them, where they were unable to find advances for the full journey, and when I asked if there had been a policy change, they mentioned covid saw some additional advances brought in but have slowly been being removed. They offered to raise it with the Fares Team for more info but unfortunately the login somehow expired before I could saw yes, losing the chat line. I did also have a look at some random other SE only advance routes and it is possible to get Advance tickets on Mainline routes, and even Taunton to a mainline station seems to work as a through advance, some I'm wondering ifit's no longer possible to have an Advance ticket starting/finishing in the London travel zones for SE at least?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.