• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR app alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmartin

What is the best app for quick, simple train ticket purchases? The GWR app keeps signing me out, sometimes in the time it takes to check it's working on the train to the ticket barriers! Beyond useless.

I don't want a complex split ticketing based app - just something that is very fast and reliable to use and can repurchase existing tickets really quickly (ideally with saved payment details). I do a few trips fairly regularly and just want something that works quickly.

I think I'm sort of looking for the citymapper of rail ticketing apps, basically :D

Just to be clearer, something that focuses on the day tickets vs advances and split tickets (with advances in). I never buy advances on the move, may consider it if I'm researching a trip on my laptop and usually I have to go to great lengths to avoid accidently purchasing advances (especially one of the evil ones that are 10p less than the normal ticket).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewlew

Trainline

If you purchase on the day then there are no fees.

And, no, you’re not a sheep for using the Trainline before anyone says it.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Trainsplit isn't complex - I find it easier to use than the GWR app, and as a bonus it sometimes saves you money. You can use Apple Pay so no need to input payment details, just double-tap on the side. (Presumably the equivalent is true on Android). Plus the developers are responsive - I asked for the Cotswold Line Railcard to be added and it was there within the week. I now buy most of my turn-up-and-go tickets using it.

mrmartin

Trainsplit isn't complex - I find it easier to use than the GWR app, and as a bonus it sometimes saves you money. You can use Apple Pay so no need to input payment details, just double-tap on the side. (Presumably the equivalent is true on Android). Plus the developers are responsive - I asked for the Cotswold Line Railcard to be added and it was there within the week. I now buy most of my turn-up-and-go tickets using it.
Problem is it keeps defaulting to advance split tickets which I never want. I just want to buy an off peak return as easily as possible.

Nova1

I've always thought Chilterns app is pretty good, you select your journey then it'll suggest a ticket but let you buy any valid ticket of your choice

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I've always thought Chilterns app is pretty good, you select your journey then it'll suggest a ticket but let you buy any valid ticket of your choice
It will also sell you a split ticket without telling you it's done so, and have the through journey as a single barcode with only the least restrictive ticket type mentioned!

The only way you'd find out it had done so is if you chose Ticket on Departure rather than e-ticket fulfillment...and by the time you collect it, it's likely to be too late to do anything about it.

island

Veteran Member
Southeastern app is very good, and supports saving "favourite" walk-up tickets which you can then buy with 3 taps. E-tickets and ITSO are available on eligible flows.

jayah

On Moderation
What is the best app for quick, simple train ticket purchases? The GWR app keeps signing me out, sometimes in the time it takes to check it's working on the train to the ticket barriers! Beyond useless.
Are they ever going to fix that? You need phone signal to log back in, which often doesn't exist.

The last thing you need approaching a ticket barrier up a flight of stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.