• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
Saw 769959 at Redhill today. Looks like it was working this:

5Q10

Then there was this move: 5Q12 Reading TCD - Oxford CS. On leave at the moment so unsure if it was the same unit or a different 769.

JN114

Established Member

AM9

Veteran Member
Did it run AC from Reading to Didcot, and switch to diesel without stopping?
They never did switch from OLE to 3rd rail* (or vice versa) on the move in their 319 Thameslink days so I assume that they won't now.

* Diesel mode on the 769s has been likened in RUK to 3rd rail on the 769s, - it just substitutes for the missing 750VDC supply at the collector shoes.

43102EMR

Established Member
They never did switch from OLE to 3rd rail* (or vice versa) on the move in their 319 Thameslink days so I assume that they won't now.

* Diesel mode on the 769s has been likened in RUK to 3rd rail on the 769s, - it just substitutes for the missing 750VDC supply at the collector shoes.
The spec for the 769 states they *should*, in theory, be able to change in motion - whether they’ve been able to do it in practice, I’m not sure…

AM9

Veteran Member
The spec for the 769 states they *should*, in theory, be able to change in motion - whether they’ve been able to do it in practice, I’m not sure…
I think that GWR drivers will need to get full confidence before they attempt that in normal service. :)

Deepgreen

Established Member
How are today's runs going? 'Traksy' shows the line closed for engineering at Reigate (wrong) and RTT is showing very odd times again.

Out of interest, can the 73s change on the move?

43102EMR

Established Member
How are today's runs going? 'Traksy' shows the line closed for engineering at Reigate (wrong) and RTT is showing very odd times again.

Out of interest, can the 73s change on the move?
Not 100% certain - only bi modes I know for certain that can are the IETs, never seen them do it in practice though…

On Moderation
Yes, 73s can and have been able to changeover from Diesel to Electric and vice versa for years (IIRC from new). The diesel engine could even be started from units such as a GLV if and when required.
Indeed. It wasn’t uncommon for Gatwick Express services to leave Victoria with the electro-diesel in diesel mode to avoid too much jerking over the gaps, then drop the shoes once clear of the gap area.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Yes, 73s can and have been able to changeover from Diesel to Electric and vice versa for years (IIRC from new). The diesel engine could even be started from units such as a GLV if and when required.
Thanks - it must be progress when the same thing is apparently harder to do today!

FenMan

Established Member

The run this morning looks as though it went to plan according to RealTime trains. The increasing delay at North Camp and Blackwater on the return leg occurred because it was chasing a Redhill - Reading stopper. Due to signalling constraints, Reading-bound trains are held at Blackwater until the previous service has arrived at Wokingham.

This afternoon's run was pretty much on time throughout.

Mollman

Established Member
Thanks - it must be progress when the same thing is apparently harder to do today!
I guess 319s were not going to change between OHLE & 3rd rail on the move as the switch over point was Farringdon Station so they didn't need the ability to do it.

AM9

Veteran Member
I guess 319s were not going to change between OHLE & 3rd rail on the move as the switch over point was Farringdon Station so they didn't need the ability to do it.
I believe that a changeover between diesel and 3rd rail is possible but the switching wasn't modified to change on the move to or from OLE.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Indeed. It wasn’t uncommon for Gatwick Express services to leave Victoria with the electro-diesel in diesel mode to avoid too much jerking over the gaps, then drop the shoes once clear of the gap area.
I hadn't realised that, thanks - if it was that bad perhaps they could have just departed in electric mode (much better acceleration) and simply coasted across the very short section involved rather than start up the diesel under the roof? I don't think I ever noticed it happening on my commute to Victoria; in fact diesel use needed special dispensation (I think) owing to the roof, which was why 'Thumpers' moved wholly to London Bridge.

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
I hadn't realised that, thanks - if it was that bad perhaps they could have just departed in electric mode (much better acceleration) and simply coasted across the very short section involved rather than start up the diesel under the roof? I don't think I ever noticed it happening on my commute to Victoria; in fact diesel use needed special dispensation (I think) owing to the roof, which was why 'Thumpers' moved wholly to London Bridge.
Although the worst bit was around Battersea Park, I believe, coasting wouldn’t have been much good if there was complicated trackwork on the climb up on either side!

Deepgreen

Established Member
Although the worst bit was around Battersea Park, I believe, coasting wouldn’t have been much good if there was complicated trackwork on the climb up on either side!
No complex trackwork on either climb - it's at the immediate throat of Victoria, virtually level, and only for a very short stretch. In any case, I thought the GLVs also had pick-ups, so gapping should have been difficult?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
No complex trackwork on either climb - it's at the immediate throat of Victoria, virtually level, and only for a very short stretch. In any case, I thought the GLVs also had pick-ups, so gapping should have been difficult?
GLVs had there own shoes but no through 750V cable connection and were only 500hp compared to 1600hp on the ED so didn't provide much help. Also if the driver had shut off the ED on leaving Vic the GLV was also not powering. What i can't recollect if the ED was on diesel whether the GLV would still be powering.

On Moderation
Think the problem was sparking setting fire to the 73s’ bogies rather than gapping per se
There were some fires in the early days that culminated in a serious blaze on 73142. It was traced back to gapping in the Battersea Park area with adjacent conductor rail sections having different voltages with consequent arcing. Initially the 73s and stock were taken off the GatEx service until the problem was found. Whilst electrical modifications and flash guards were fitted to the 73/1s to solve the problem, the service was reinstated using pairs of 73s in diesel mode.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Not 100% certain - only bi modes I know for certain that can are the IETs, never seen them do it in practice though…
The GWR sets have done it many times. Initially at Maidenhead and more recently for the infamous bridge at Steventon and for the Severn Tunnel.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Some of the more cranky drivers still had the 73 on diesel going through Clapham Junction.

Sean Emmett

The GWR sets have done it many times. Initially at Maidenhead and more recently for the infamous bridge at Steventon and for the Severn Tunnel.
GWR IETs still change mode on the move East of Newbury for Berks & Hants services, at Moreton for Oxford services and East of Chippenham for Bath/Bristol services.

Also East of Bristol Parkway for Temple Meads services diverted through Parkway, but not stopping there.

LNER IETs may change mode on the move at Chathill and Longniddry due to electrical supply issues. My southbound trip did just that on Sunday. Aberdeen train, 16.30 off Waverley, which was hot on the heels of the 16.20 ex Waverley. Do LNER IETs change mode on the move anywhere else?

As far as the 769s are concerned, its the boundaries of the central section of juice, from Ash (Aldershot South Jn?) through Guildford to Shalford Jn, where changing on the move would be useful. Wokingham and Reigate are both regular stops on the Gatwick services.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.