• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
No I think they have, I just happened to be on the morning one today and so was providing cast-iron confirmation as such.

You should have popped up and said Hello or did you join it at the Station?

JN114

Established Member
Precisely, but why was it so late to start with and why do the North Camp times, for example, look like fiction, not being accounted for by the return leg either? A large number of these runs seem to start very late or lose so much time en route to require them to be aborted.

Late in, late out - no conspiracy. First round trip was delayed Reigate/Redhill area and coming back out of Gatwick due to congestion following national GSM-R fault.

Unit performed flawlessly both runs, save a minor fault for the chaps with magic hammers to sort which would have zero effect on running performance.

Unfortunately - and I do understand the reasoning although I disagree with the betrayal of single-source-of-truth principles - RTT essentially makes times up for non- timing points using offsets and things like that. Sometimes it gets it wrong. I would always take all these open data platforms with a pinch of salt - they are not authoritative sources of train running information.

You should have popped up and said Hello or did you join it at the Station?

I joined at station on way out - If we’d come back on TCD I would probably have done, but we went into 4, and I was hungry! Way too hot to be walking all the way down there for someone used to a nice air-conditioned office!

strimmer

769930 coming off the Reading Line at Guildford, on the first run this morning, 19th July.IMGP4656_DxO-Edit.jpg

Not exactly pushed the boat out on the door contrast!
it’s such a dull paint scheme

Ok I'll bite, I think the paint job is quite classy shame about the "curtain" at the front might have chosen a nice Cath Kidson print to brighten it up!:D
Now the question, why is there a "curtain" in the centre window?

AM9

Veteran Member
It's the same as a GWR 150, 165 and 166, so why should it need changing? It shows that GWR is accepting the trains are an integral part of their fleet with specific operational qualities.
Green is considered a good colour for railway (and bus) use and it also seems to have a longer life than more garish colour schemes.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
It's the same as a GWR 150, 165 and 166, so why should it need changing? It shows that GWR is accepting the trains are an itegral part of their fleet with specific operational qualities.
Green is considered a good colour for railway (and bus) use and it also seems to have a longer life than more garish colour schemes.
It looks really dull on them too! on a grey day it looks almost black.
Somehow it looks better on HSTs/IETs but I don’t know if that is just because the trains themselves look more interesting or I just haven’t seen them in dull light!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Ok I'll bite, I think the paint job is quite classy shame about the "curtain" at the front might have chosen a nice Cath Kidson print to brighten it up!:D
That's been there for many years on the 319s. Not exactly surely what it is, but it's certainly not a curtain!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Just a sun blind isn't it?

I think it looks stunning, that livery suits almost anything, including a dated South East EMU :)

Proper yellow stripe for 1st as there should be, too.

HstFan33

Is this 769943 returning from Eastleigh?

And it looks like its doing tests today on the NDL then going back to Eastleigh later according to RTT
I don't think it will be 769943 as that would be headcode 5, it's a headcode 0 so it's a light loco path, maybe doing tests but i'm not too sure

DelW

Established Member
I don't think it will be 769943 as that would be headcode 5, it's a headcode 0 so it's a light loco path, maybe doing tests but i'm not too sure
That's an obfuscated code, used by freight operators to hide the real code and hence the exact type of train involved.

gallafent

Yes, this was my thought. About time. Should do the same across the fleet. Let's hope that GBR does this. And red for buffet/restaurant/shop/whatever, too.

Is the pale blue stripe for the accessible toilet / wheelchair space, or is it the bike space, I wondered? I think I can make out a wheelchair symbol so it must be the former.

Re bikes, did/do 319s have the tip-up longitudinal seats in the standard class end-carriage, like the 321/4s? It's been so long since I travelled on a 319 I can't remember! If so, I hope they were retained. Decent bike capacity in those, without needing to use the door bays.

Anyway, colour-coding with cantrail-level stripes is obviously correct, and this makes me think that the bike loading door(s) should also get a stripe (which colour hasn't been used … something at the purple end of the spectrum maybe) as a matter of course, it would really help to locate them! Looking along this train, I'd have no idea where I should go to put my bike.

Edit: Aha! I noticed in the 755 thread that these trains have a bright green stripe for the bike space. Related, if the bike space (or wheelchair space, or buffet) is located particularly close to one end or the other of a train, then that end should have a nice clear symbol to indicate this on the end. This really helps as trains roll slowly into stations in particular, to know whether one is at the right or wrong end, and how far one will need to move along the platform to get to the right place! Every little helps, with ease of use, and dwell times.

When wheelchair and bike space are colocated / shared / use the same door, perhaps a barbershop style affair, with diagonal stripes alternating the two colours. Ditto a barbershop for the accessible toilet / first, with yellow+pale blue.

Last edited:

Speed43125

Is the pale blue stripe for the accessible toilet / wheelchair space, or is it the bike space, I wondered? I think I can make out a wheelchair symbol so it must be the former.
Blue is the disabled space. Green is sometimes used for bike spaces, though generally it is just simply the symbol on or next to the appropriate door

Deepgreen

Established Member
I like the colour scheme, as I find it elegant and refined, but the doors are surprisingly similar in tone - I'm amazed it passed the requirements. Good to see the first class and wheelchair access finally properly delineated, after years of design-over-function failure.

Is this 769943 returning from Eastleigh?

And it looks like its doing tests today on the NDL then going back to Eastleigh later according to RTT
Today's run to Gatwick aborted at Redhill.

On a day like today, probably to try and keep some heat out of the cab!
In-cab shower?! The '1' on the cab-end to denote first is good (for anyone who actually understands its meaning!) but why not in black to be easily-visible, rather than white on bright yellow? I do wonder if the livery designers ever actually use their products.

No I think they have, I just happened to be on the morning one today and so was providing cast-iron confirmation as such.
Can't say fairer than that!

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
I noticed yesterday afternoon that when 5Q11 approached Guildford heading towards Redhill, it stopped just outside (just before it came off the branch) to switch back to diesel, then ran straight through, rather than stop and switch at platform. Was that just so the platform wasn't tied up for as long?

Mollman

Established Member
That's been there for many years on the 319s. Not exactly surely what it is, but it's certainly not a curtain!

I think it looks stunning, that livery suits almost anything, including a dated South East EMU :)

Here's one on a Thameslink unit (not my photo)
https://flic.kr/p/CVXp2p

physics34

Established Member
Agree, its a nice livery.

Yes it is just a sunblind

fgwrich

Established Member

Ciderking

Some pictures from yesterday at Eastleigh .

Status
Not open for further replies.