• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenMan

Established Member
I'm liking the idea the 769s can change from electric to diesel on the move, as the only place this is necessary at speed on the Reading-Gatwick fasts is at Aldershot South junction. I doubt a switchover would be attempted at Shalford junction as the savings would be marginal v the increased risk.

Southbound from Reading, give it some decent welly out of North Camp to Aldershot South on diesel, then cruise through Ash before braking for the hard left hander towards Guildford.

Northbound from Guildford, go through the hard right hander before Ash, then give it loads of welly through Ash station on electric before coasting into North Camp.

There'd be plenty of time to switch the power source both ways, as the lie of the land for the switchover is as flat as flat can be. I hope it works.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
I'm liking the idea the 769s can change from electric to diesel on the move, as the only place this is necessary at speed on the Reading-Gatwick fasts is at Aldershot South junction. I doubt a switchover would be attempted at Shalford junction as the savings would be marginal v the increased risk.

Southbound from Reading, give it some decent welly out of North Camp to Aldershot South on diesel, then cruise through Ash before braking for the hard left hander towards Guildford.

Northbound from Guildford, go through the hard right hander before Ash, then give it loads of welly through Ash station on electric before coasting into North Camp.

There'd be plenty of time to switch the power source both ways, as the lie of the land for the switchover is as flat as flat can be. I hope it works.
I'm sure that the drivers will soon learn a few techniques.

Electric through Guildford tunnel would be great.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

It was explained a couple of months ago that they would changeover on the move at 3 locations, ie both ways at Aldershot South, and at Shalford Junction westbound, but in the platform at Guildford eastbound. Based on a Modern Railways interview with Mark Hopwood.

The previous discussion is at post #928 in this thread, and the following dozen or so posts.

Last edited:

Class319&373

Does anyone know which unit/units worked today and Monday's Swindon/Didcot/Reading/Maidenhead/Oxford runs? Thanks in advance.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Does anyone know which unit/units worked today and Monday's Swindon/Didcot/Reading/Maidenhead/Oxford runs? Thanks in advance.
Monday was 769928

Today was 769959.

769928 is pencilled in for Fridays run (which is on the North Downs.)

FGW_DID

Established Member
Should be 769937

Do you know if its been cancelled again? The LE from Derby doesn't appear to have left yet

scratch that, I misread an email! 769937 is pencilled in to arrive Friday 10/09 and it looks like that’s from Burton. Nothing has been notified about an arrival from Wolverton today so yes that is more than likely cancelled.

5Q74:

DBS92042

Established Member
scratch that, I misread an email! 769937 is pencilled in to arrive Friday 10/09 and it looks like that’s from Burton. Nothing has been notified about an arrival from Wolverton today so yes that is more than likely cancelled.

5Q74:

Ah okay, thank you for the help :)

DBS92042

Established Member

5Q74:

Looks like it's back to Wolverton again :lol:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K04663/2021-09-10/detailed

57310 is parked up in the sidings just north of Northampton and should work to Wolverton tomorrow morning:

typetwos

Looks like it's back to Wolverton again :lol:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K04663/2021-09-10/detailed

57310 is parked up in the sidings just north of Northampton and should work to Wolverton tomorrow morning:
57310 with 769937 on 5Q74 10:34 WOLVTN CS to RDGTRNDEP 10/09/21

TJDevon

In recent days all the postings in this thread have related to stock movements. All good stuff and thanks to those who provide the gen but what is happening as regards the testing of these units? Is it still happening and are we anywhere nearer seeing units being accepted and driver training commencing?

JN114

Established Member
In recent days all the postings in this thread have related to stock movements. All good stuff and thanks to those who provide the gen but what is happening as regards the testing of these units? Is it still happening and are we anywhere nearer seeing units being accepted and driver training commencing?

Driver training commenced this week

Status
Not open for further replies.