• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A 769/9 is to be used as the access shuttle for Rail Live next week so they're not completely dead yet.

( NB That'll be only for attendees of Rail Live and only those working in the industry can get access to the show ).

A shame, I'd imagine one could easily make plenty of money selling tickets for those wanting the track and the chance to do a 769/9. I'd pay for it happily!

FGW_DID

Established Member
Is this for long-term storage or a one-way ticket to Newport/Rotherham?

Where is that going please?

No idea of destination, presumably off to Long Marston to join the rest. As to their future, that's in Porterbrooks' hands, but like many I cant see these having a future. Who's going to want to take them on after all the various issues the TOCs have had with them?

The_Train

Established Member
Have all of the units moved off Reading or was it just a single unit move?

Bessie

A case of what might have been but do any photos exist of a Class 769 next to a Class 701 - ie: what could've been a common scene at Reading platforms 4/5

ShedBasher

Spotted 2 more carriages heading down Rose Kiln Lane in Reading towards the M4 at noon today. Sorry no idea of the unit numbers.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
A 769/9 is to be used as the access shuttle for Rail Live next week so they're not completely dead yet.

( NB That'll be only for attendees of Rail Live and only those working in the industry can get access to the show ).
The only chance to ever ride a GWR 769!
Which one, do we know?

Towers

Established Member
Is there a particular reason why this one didn’t go under it’s own steam?

JN114

Established Member
Is there a particular reason why this one didn’t go under it’s own steam?

The line being shut between Didcot and Oxford, and the trains not being route cleared for the diversionary route via Ashchurch

All (then) 4 were due to go by rail the day the bridge collapsed, indeed the one that made it was the very last train across the bridge.

Towers

Established Member
The line being shut between Didcot and Oxford, and the trains not being route cleared for the diversionary route via Ashchurch

All (then) 4 were due to go by rail the day the bridge collapsed, indeed the one that made it was the very last train across the bridge.
Ah; thank you!

TurboMan

Plus they're due exams. If they weren't, it'd worth waiting another week for Nuneham to re-open.

Deepgreen

Established Member
It's the final ignominy that these vehicles are being transported by road to their fate. What a ludicrous episode in an increasingly-farcical rolling stock management situation on the railways.

What is it about these Mk3-based units that would pose a clearance problem on that route if hauled as a single 12 car move?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It's the final ignominy that these vehicles are being transported by road to their fate. What a ludicrous episode in an increasingly-farcical rolling stock management situation on the railways.
Not really. The post upthread explained that running them by rail would waste even more money, as the examination would have been necessary.

I'm not sure that setting up a temporary scrapyard at Reading depot would have been a better approach.

driverd

I might be alone in this, but I find it a great shame these units weren't a success in GWRland. They're certainly a suitable stop gap and when they work, seem to work quite well.

Northerns units seem to have entered squadron service with little spectacle and appear to be reasonably well bedded in. On the handful of occasions I've tried to track them down, there always seems to be atleast 6 in service. It surprises me that there's this much variation in the fleet - clearly they were a disaster for TfW also.

TurboMan

What is it about these Mk3-based units that would pose a clearance problem on that route if hauled as a single 12 car move?
Quite possibly nothing, but running rolling stock over a route for which the route clearance process hasn't been followed and just hoping for the best instead isn't the way these things are done.

I can only assume it's the DC equipment that might cause them to be out of gauge
Not if the shoe gear is strapped up.

I might be alone in this, but I find it a great shame these units weren't a success in GWRland. They're certainly a suitable stop gap and when they work, seem to work quite well.

Northerns units seem to have entered squadron service with little spectacle and appear to be reasonably well bedded in. On the handful of occasions I've tried to track them down, there always seems to be atleast 6 in service. It surprises me that there's this much variation in the fleet - clearly they were a disaster for TfW also.
Same here. An awful lot of work by a very talented (award winning, no less) team at GWR went into addressing the many challenges that the 769 fleet presented. Fixes to many of the technical issues had been identified and were being implemented to the extent that reliability had improved no end, the IR issues were close to resolution (and probably would have been resolved were it not for the wider IR dispute), and intro to service was looking tantalisingly close. So it was very disappointing when the plug was pulled, not because there was no hope of 769s entering service but because of the need for budget cuts.

Last edited:

Bob Price

There is a bridge in the Long Maston area which is out of guage. The TfW ones also had to be taken out by road.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Not really. The post upthread explained that running them by rail would waste even more money, as the examination would have been necessary.

I'm not sure that setting up a temporary scrapyard at Reading depot would have been a better approach.
I just find the modern railway's inability to move redundant stock by rail very frustrating - it shouldn't be so hard/expensive to use the railway for rail vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.