• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y186520

https://twitter.com/HitachiRailEU

Hitachi twitter has a link to a Feb IEP newsletter.

There is a resume of what is intended for the first prototype in 2015 after it arrives in Southampton.

The ship has left Long Beach where it was berthed very close to the old Queen Mary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andyb2706

My brain doesn't like those maps in #408.
It just won't accept that the dark blue is land, not sea. I really have to concentrate to flip the land/sea over.

I've just looked at this thread for the first time today and didn't really have an issue with the land being dark blue.....until I read the above quote and thought about it...now mybrain hurts, Thanks bud;)

WatcherZero

Established Member
https://twitter.com/HitachiRailEU

Hitachi twitter has a link to a Feb IEP newsletter.

There is a resume of what is intended for the first prototype in 2015 after it arrives in Southampton.

The ship has left Long Beach where it was berthed very close to the old Queen Mary.

Says the first prototype has now left the USA (couple of weeks ago posted it arrived in Mexico), I kinda thought it would come through Suez but its gone opposite direction.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Says the first prototype has now left the USA (couple of weeks ago posted it arrived in Mexico), I kinda thought it would come through Suez but its gone opposite direction.

Really? we established in this thread back in April that it was going this way...

WatcherZero

Established Member
Thought we showed a map of a myriad of shipping routes by the company, mainly to Asia and Africa.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Thought we showed a map of a myriad of shipping routes by the company, mainly to Asia and Africa.

The map shows the general route of ships from that company, and there's even a timetable of where the ship's calling on that very post.

Due into Southampton on the 11th.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The map shows the general route of ships from that company, and there's even a timetable of where the ship's calling on that very post.

Due into Southampton on the 11th.

Hopefully South Today will feature it (or at least show it being unloaded)

Y186520

ABP are showing it arriving at 1930 on the 11th.

Berth 35 is allocated for Tamerlane. Thats on the River Itchen part of the docks opposite Weston one of the most attractive parts of Southampton.:lol:

The schedule shown in post 408
BALTIMORE, MD U.S.A. 25/02/2015 26/02/2015
BREMERHAVEN GERMANY 08/03/2015 08/03/2015
ZEEBRUGGE BELGIUM 10/03/2015 10/03/2015
SOUTHAMPTON UNITED KINGDOM 11/03/2015 11/03/2015
may be altered as it didn't leave Baltimore until late evening on 2nd March.
Likely to run direct to Southampton

The Panama Canal webcams captured the ship.
As the ships are hauled by locos through the locks does this count as the first 2 occasions of locos haulings an IEP ?

Attachments

• 21-02-15 PANAMA CANAL GATUN LOCKS TAMERLANE 007.jpg
    21-02-15 PANAMA CANAL GATUN LOCKS TAMERLANE 007.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 142

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As the ships are hauled by locos through the locks does this count as the first 2 occasions of locos haulings an IEP ?

The ships that transit the canal are not hauled by locos through the locks. Those are known as 'mules' and act as tugs so help keep the ship centred in the lock. The ship provides its own power.

Y186520

The ships that transit the canal are not hauled by locos through the locks. Those are known as 'mules' and act as tugs so help keep the ship centred in the lock. The ship provides its own power.

There will be some of the more desperate haulage people very relieved not to have to clear that class.;)

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
When they leave Southampton for wherever they'll be going to, will they be allowed to head there under there own power or will they have to be hauled?

RichmondCommu

Established Member
When they leave Southampton for wherever they'll be going to, will they be allowed to head there under there own power or will they have to be hauled?

They would have to be hauled as no one will have been trained to drive them and they won't have been certified by Network Rail to run our network. That's why initially they will go through a period of extensive testing. In fact I wonder whether they might even be transported by road.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They'll be going by road as no-one will have gauge cleared them from Southampton.

RobShipway

Established Member
I thought that the class 800's where no different size to the class 395's, which correct me if I am wrong where actually hauled by Class 37 from Southampton Docks?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought that the class 800's where no different size to the class 395's, which correct me if I am wrong where actually hauled by Class 37 from Southampton Docks?

Well if 26m vehicles have suddenly become the same length as 20m vehicles then yes, they are almost identical... :D

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The curve as a train leaves the tunnel out of Southampton Central (London bound direction) is quite a tight one, would they be able to get round that bend anyway?

Bigfoot

The curve as a train leaves the tunnel out of Southampton Central (London bound direction) is quite a tight one, would they be able to get round that bend anyway?

Pretty sure the route to the docks branches off just after Northam Siemens depot as you head down towards so'ton station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Pretty sure the route to the docks branches off just after Northam Siemens depot as you head down towards so'ton station.

That's the route to the Eastern docks, which is where the Javelins arrived, and would be the likely arrival point for any further rail vehicles, but the Western Docks are accessed west of Southampton Central, alongside Millbrook station.

Y186520

That's the route to the Eastern docks, which is where the Javelins arrived, and would be the likely arrival point for any further rail vehicles, but the Western Docks are accessed west of Southampton Central, alongside Millbrook station.

ABP still have it docking at 35 berth which is Eastern docks.

Off topic back in the 1970's I worked with someone who had worked shifts in the Northam station ticket office.

Bigfoot

The Tamerlane is a car/vehicle carrier. Surely it will also be collecting/delivering a load of export vehicles which head into and out of the eastern docks.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will be interesting to hear what they sound like, I'm guessing when running on electric that they'll sound the same as a Javelin

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The Tamerlane is a car/vehicle carrier. Surely it will also be collecting/delivering a load of export vehicles which head into and out of the eastern docks.

I wasn't suggesting the ship wasn't arriving in the Eastern Docks, just pointing out in answer to your earlier post that the route from Northam only gives access to the Eastern Docks, rather than being the branch to 'the Docks'... IYSWIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.