• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
In a way it's been the case with the 180s; Adelante for FGW/HT and Zephyr for GC. Though if any at all now, we only tend to hear use of the former nickname; they haven't quite captured our imagination in the same ;)

Actually I see it's the DfT who is looking for a fleet name, so it will cover both GW and EC routes.
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/rail-renaissance-on-track

by Claire Perry:
The only thing I find uninspiring about the train is that name – IEP.
I don’t know how you feel, but it doesn’t really capture the excitement or romance.
So can I challenge you to come up with a new name.
Something that reflects their sleek design.
What they’ll be like to travel on.
How they’ll look speeding passengers across the country.
What they’ll do for the UK.
I may not be Rail Minister to decide on the best name…..
But I will always remember today.
The start of a new era for rail travel in the UK.
Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Claire perry appears to as ill-informed and poorly briefed as most other government ministers, when she raises the question of the name.
Someone ought to tell her the name of the actual train isn't IEP and never has been.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah and technically we're all wrong. The trains should be referred to as SET (Super Express Train) whilst the whole procurement exercise is called IEP (Intercity Express Program). However it appears to have become standard to use IEP even when SET would be the correct term.

jimm

Established Member
Yeah and technically we're all wrong. The trains should be referred to as SET (Super Express Train) whilst the whole procurement exercise is called IEP (Intercity Express Program). However it appears to have become standard to use IEP even when SET would be the correct term.

Probably because the whole project has dragged on for so long. It started out life as HST2, then became the long-winded Intercity Express Programme. Not surprisingly that got shortened to the more digestible IEP, and the name has stuck ever since. I think Agility/Hitachi came up with the Super Express as the name of its train during the bidding process but it never really caught on.

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member

Which is why I've started to refer to them as Class 80x's (or 800 or 801 if talking about each class independently), as then (at least until another 80x unit is brought along) I will be technically correct and people will know what I'm talking about.

.....Agility/Hitachi came up with the Super Express as the name of its train during the bidding process but it never really caught on.

The trains are referred to as the SET in various NR route study documents. Certainly in the Western Route Study.

Domh245

Established Member
Perhaps Claire Perry is looking for a new name for the train which can then be used as an official name for all relevant parties.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Perhaps Claire Perry is looking for a new name for the train which can then be used as an official name for all relevant parties.

Ask Richard Branson to think of a name (don't worry about the other lines they'll be running on, they can be ignored).

Cletus

Established Member
I keep forgetting that SET is Super Express Train because I have South Eastern Trains in my head!

The Ham

Established Member
I keep forgetting that SET is Super Express Train because I have South Eastern Trains in my head!

It also could get confusing if you start talking about "by using two sets of the SET's you can..."

fowler9

Established Member
Super Express Train sounds like something out of Thunderbirds with an altogether more disappointing reality

Super Express Train sounds like something out of Thunderbirds with an altogether more disappointing reality

It's a personal thing, but i quite agree and was surprised by the name Hitachi had given to their winning design, back at the time of the IEP competition.
However, that's what they're called.

A-train family, AT300 design range, SET being the specific train model, UK classification Class 800/801.
Does it need another name?

Javelino perhaps? :lol:

RobShipway

Established Member
It's a personal thing, but i quite agree and was surprised by the name Hitachi had given to their winning design, back at the time of the IEP competition.
However, that's what they're called.

A-train family, AT300 design range, SET being the specific train model, UK classification Class 800/801.
Does it need another name?

Javelino perhaps? :lol:

Well, the Class 395's got the name Javelin as they provided the services for the Olympic Games in 2012.

I had though calling them Settees on wheels, but let's see how comfortable they are first before getting carried away.

On a more serious note though how about SAT, Super Advance Train, which is what they are supposedly foing to be, right?

WatcherZero

Established Member
The Electrostar exported to South Africa were named Gautrain which translates as Gold Train.

pro4600

Rather than Super Express Train (SET)
surely it will score more political points by replacing Super with British to reflect the fact they will be put together in Britain.
I give you British Express Train (BE... Oh dear).

jimm

Established Member
The trains are referred to as the SET in various NR route study documents. Certainly in the Western Route Study.

Ah yes, Network Rail documents... where the term North Cotswold line was invented for what everyone else had been calling the Cotswold Line for years, after someone at Network Rail decided they should call the Kemble route the South Cotswold line, rather than Stroud Valley or Golden Valley...

I have a feeling IEP is going to be longer-lasting than any invented name. After all, we don't talk much about InterCity 125s much these days, do we? Whereas HST derives from the original High Speed Diesel Train name. And FGW doesn't officially use the Adelante name any more, just refers to Class 180s.

MCR247

Established Member
Rather than Super Express Train (SET)
surely it will score more political points by replacing Super with British to reflect the fact they will be put together in Britain.
I give you British Express Train (BE... Oh dear).

British Express Super Train?

RobShipway

Established Member
Well, in Japanese Super Express Train is Sūpāekusupuresutorein and Super Advance Train is Sūpā jizen torein.

So I suggest Jizen Express.

Status
Not open for further replies.