• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Conductor assessment, What to expect??!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopeful Rose

Hello.
I have an assessment for GWR to hopefully become a Conductor. I really would like the role and to be apart of the railway team.

I would like to know what I can do to increase my chance of getting the job, so please help!
What can I expect?
What can I do to prepare?
Insider tips?
I look forward to hearing from you :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Not on my patch so can't give you too much info about the depot unfortunately - the GWR assessment is split over 2 days, one day they do some aptitude testing including the Group Bourdon test and the second day is a group discussion and 1-2-1 interview

TomCo91

Hi,

I went through the Train Manager process a couple of months back, i'm assuming it is similar to that and if it is then i hope this helps;

1st assessment:
Consists of 3 tests; Ticket Selling, Concentration, Comprehension.
They should send you practice papers, definitely do these and familiarise yourself with the style of tests and what to expect. The ones on the day are a little bit harder but they'll give you an idea of what to expect.

2nd assessment:
If you pass the first assessment day tests you'll be invited back for another assessment day, this time for 2 or 3 group exercises and then if successful there you'll be asked to stay for an interview.

As i say this was Train Manager format but i'm sure it's the same.

Good Luck

Trundle Fly

Tom, Im just awaiting a group assessment/ interview day. Any info on the structure of the group exercises or any interview questions?

TomCo91

Morning.

Congratulations for getting to that stage and good luck for the day.

The group exercise we did was a discussion based around a specific product and potential new supplier having to decide on the most suitable one.

Interview will be your standard competency based interview, name a time when......

Just think of key skills that will relate to the railway and structure any answer based around those.

Good luck

Hopeful Rose

Hello!
I had the assessment and I am pleased to say that I passed. I however have not been asked to attend the second stage. I passed the assessments back in November, is it normal to take so long?
I have asked for an up date but I've not heard anything??

Trundle Fly

Thanks Tom, guess I'll just give it my best. Rose, mine took a month to come through, but there are stacks of vacancies being advertised. I'd give them another nudge!

Neeny

Hello!
I had the assessment and I am pleased to say that I passed. I however have not been asked to attend the second stage. I passed the assessments back in November, is it normal to take so long?
I have asked for an up date but I've not heard anything??

Hi, did they get back to you with a date for the second assessment? If so how did it go?

X

Status
Not open for further replies.