• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

spark001uk

Established Member
Don't really get the need for a wardrobe. Agree with corridors, a nice subtle LED strip in blue or something would've been nice, but yes a carpet change at least.

Are there any plans to revamp coach C interior?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

co-tr-paul

Yes. Pics of final computer images on my Flikcr stream but these will be a while yet. 10232 will be replaced due to its structural condition though.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Despite being full house of 57/6 availability now 602 back in service, reported that 57306 worked 1C99 last night.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Don't really get the need for a wardrobe.

Yes a few coat hangers attached to a wall (like now) is useful but a proper wardrobe? Surely that just takes up space which is at something of a premium!

The key carded doors sounds good though. A bit more convenient than having to track down your berth attendant after you've finished in the lounge car and want to get back into your berth!

spark001uk

Established Member
Yes a few coat hangers attached to a wall (like now) is useful but a proper wardrobe? Surely that just takes up space which is at something of a premium!

The key carded doors sounds good though. A bit more convenient than having to track down your berth attendant after you've finished in the lounge car and want to get back into your berth!

Agreed. Although not as bad as sleeping in coach A or B with one leg threaded through your bag for security! ;)

Seriously though, it was OK value-wise sharing with a mate last time I got a berth, but it's a bit steep on your own; if the "upgrade" was a bit better I may have been a bit more tempted to hurry over and do it.

spark001uk

Established Member
I see from the photo there's what appears to be a couple of USB charging ports above the bed. Though if the refurb TSOD is anything to go by, these may be quite low power. For example the ports mounted above the table at the disabled end of TSOD will only give out just under half an amp; a current that many smartphones will either refuse or not charge properly at. (The ones mounted beside the airline seats are a bit better, at about 1 amp, which would probably charge most devices, albeit slowly), in which case probably best to use your own wall charger. Have they added any BS1363 in the berth now?

Last edited:

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Has anyone info on 57 summer Saturday diagram please, RealTimeTrains not showing.

Last edited:

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
From what I can gather;

ECS Long Rock-St Erth
102x St Erth-Plymouth, arr 123x
1335 Plymouth-Exeter SD arr 145x
1750 Exeter SD-Penzance arr 211x

Saturdays mid-May to 9th September.
(Get it while you can, this summer is probably the final year.)

83G/84D

Established Member
From what I can gather;

ECS Long Rock-St Erth
102x St Erth-Plymouth, arr 123x
1335 Plymouth-Exeter SD arr 145x
1750 Exeter SD-Penzance arr 211x

Saturdays mid-May to 9th September.
(Get it while you can, this summer is probably the final year.)

Filling in the gaps:-

5P70 1015 Long Rock - St Erth arrive 1023
2P70 1028 St Erth - Plymouth arrive 1231
2E75 1335 Plymouth - Exeter St David's arrive 1452
2C51 1750 Exeter St David's - Penzance arrive 2111

Runs Saturdays 27/5 to 9/9.

fgwrich

Established Member
Is that 306 plus one other? Or did you mean two more in addition to 306?

I was led to believe that it's 303 and 306 but while 306 has remained on the GW, 303 seems to be back with DRS in Eastleigh? At the moment. Unless it's on aubjire back until the next 68/88s are available for traffic with DRS?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Extract from GWR Journey Check re 1A40 tonight:-

[Due to a fault with coach H, this coach will be unavailable. Customer's with sleeper berth reservations for Coach H on the Night Riviera Sleeper are advised to contact GWR customer services.]

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Is that 306 plus one other? Or did you mean two more in addition to 306?

306 plus one other. The one other either 303 or 310 depending what source is read. The extras are apparently to allow for hauling electric trains where no electric exists- they are all in a single pool though

spark001uk

Established Member
I remember 310 a couple of years ago when it had a spell of bad luck on the beds. Think it was 310, was called Pride of Cumbria anyway. Even resulted in a few back-to-back HST PC tows as well iirc!

fgwrich

Established Member
I remember 310 a couple of years ago when it had a spell of bad luck on the beds. Think it was 310, was called Pride of Cumbria anyway. Even resulted in a few back-to-back HST PC tows as well iirc!

Indeed it was. Bloody thing seems to be cursed on the GW!

IIRC - One of it's most infamous failures on the Night Riviera was down to a coolant and temperature sensor issue and the camber of the curve through Marsh Barton (Exeter). At least it'll be confined - hopefully - to EMU drags!

Topgun333

Indeed it was. Bloody thing seems to be cursed on the GW!

IIRC - One of it's most infamous failures on the Night Riviera was down to a coolant and temperature sensor issue and the camber of the curve through Marsh Barton (Exeter). At least it'll be confined - hopefully - to EMU drags!

Where does FGW use 57s to drag EMUs?

co-tr-paul

Internally refurbished B coach 12142 has swapped sets and will be in tonights up. On Thursday, it will be joined by new SLEP 10596 - in service.

co-tr-paul

As at 1100, 596 in set for tonight's up (Thurs). Not booked for customers but customers will be shown around etc. Bed layout not correctly set up yet, and feel free to criticise corridor walls..... .602 is loco.

fgwrich

Established Member
So much for 596 being "Just a prototype" as I was told a few weeks ago. Oh well, if not listening to comments and suggestions is the new order of GWR - while cheapening out on the fixtures and fittings then I probably won't be using the Sleeper in the future. A shame!

Just a random question - if the HST GTIs are getting a sliding plug door to continue to meet the deadlines, is anything happening to the sleeper vehicles in the future?

spark001uk

Established Member
I heard a couple of years back there was to be a sleeper option in the IEP programme! Don't know what became of that.