• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Denied Boarding 26/08 Now refusing to acknowledge short train

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislus

Looking for help to dispute Delay Repay claim with GWR

Denied boarding 19.18 PAD CDF service on Thurs 26th August as 'it was full' despite seat res , seatfrog upgrade and bike res .. Gateline staff said it only had 5 coaches rather than 9/10 ..

Eventually boarded 19.48 , so was delayed more than 30 mins from intended journey .. ( That also only had 5 coaches I believe..)

What has riled me , is that GWR are refusing my appeal for a Delay Repay claim , as they claim the original train ran , and there are no logs from the train or station staff indicating issues with train formations etc .
They are now basically accusing me of lying - is there a way to get historical information on this , to support my argument - it's now personal rather than compensation driven !

Thanks in advance !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If a train is short formed it will almost certainly be in the log. Is it possible the gateline staff were mistaken?

GWR should really be honouring your claim unless it has evidence you are being dishonest!

trenopendo

They are now basically accusing me of lying - is there a way to get historical information on this , to support my argument - it's now personal rather than compensation driven !

I suggest you follow the Delay Repay & appeal process, although you are likely to end up taking this to the Rail Ombudsman. I'm currently also the victim of GWR, who continue to bury its head on the sand and do not pay up a legitimate Delay Repay claim.

Make sure you take it all the way to the Rail Ombudsman.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If GWR are claiming that the train actually wasn't short formed you could just write to them politely asserting that you were delayed as a result of the staff advice that it was, and their resulting decision not to permit you to board, so you're entitled to compensation regardless of the actual number of carriages on the train.

You can politely point out that their Delay Repay scheme entitles the customer to compensation regardless of the cause of the delay. Therefore you're due compensation.

You can add that if they are unwilling to issue you compensation that you would like them to write to you with a "deadlock letter", and that you will make a complaint to the rail ombudsman about them.

furlong

Established Member
GWR seems to have internal procedures that make review and escalation difficult to achieve. If you're getting nowhere, escalate - politely - yourself to a relevant executive - https://www.gwr.com/about-gwr/our-business/executive-team (email addresses are easily guessed) and ask them for a review of your case. After you've done this once, you'll discover the right contact to go to directly the next time it happens...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The issue here is because GWR use an automated system for delay repay claims in the first instance. What you need is for your claim to be looked at by a human which should happen if you appeal.

Interestingly the much maligned GTR ask you to email them if your claim is complex, perhaps GWR should take a leaf out of their book.

furlong

Established Member
The issue here is because GWR use an automated system for delay repay claims in the first instance. What you need is for your claim to be looked at by a human which should happen if you appeal.

The problems with their internal procedures go well beyond that in my own experience. Don't waste your time repeatedly dealing with staff who haven't been empowered appropriately to handle something out of the ordinary, but escalate directly to someone who is so empowered.

trenopendo

The problems with their internal procedures go well beyond that in my own experience. Don't waste your time repeatedly dealing with staff who haven't been empowered appropriately to handle something out of the ordinary, but escalate directly to someone who is so empowered.
Is the Rail Ombudsman more likely to take a sympathetic view compared to those in the C-suite? In fact, I've searched this forum but I've not found a lot of testimonials for the Ombudsman.

I know banks really dislike being taken to the Financial Ombudsman (even if it's rather useless), just by virtue of having to cough 700 GBP/case.

chrislus

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice .. I'll tone down my draft reply , and try the polite approach - then hold firm until the Rail Ombudsman if required

Status
Not open for further replies.