• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Desperately short of units

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
GWR are desperately short of units at the moment with GWR saying due to more than usual requiring maintenance. On recent performance, this seems to be the norm rather than unusual but, as GWR Website says, there are 2 x 150/2s at a time at Wolverton undergoing PRM Mods and re-liverying and a 153 at Long Marston for re-liverying.
Today, for example, just about every train that should be strengthened hasn't been in addition to others running short formed. Part of one of the Cardiff to Taunton circuits is being formed by an HST. Also (Not good for PR) GWR should be providing a 150 tomorrow and Sunday to run shuttles between Taunton and Bishops Lydeard for the West Somerset Railway in connection with an event. However, GWR have had to withdraw the Saturday one due to the extremely low unavailabilty of units.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I forgot to say in my opening post that there is also a 158 in Barton Hill at all times for Exam and relivering.

Alfie1014

Welcome to our world, even with up to an extra 22 units available form the May timetable change GA has been short forming this week, though to be fair the loss of one hauled set earlier and its substitution with 321s doesn't help. Still no Renatus units in traffic yet and some of the ex GN 317s are pretty demic apparently.

D365

Veteran Member
Welcome to our world, even with up to an extra 22 units available form the May timetable change GA has been short forming this week, though to be fair the loss of one hauled set earlier and its substitution with 321s doesn't help. Still no Renatus units in traffic yet and some of the ex GN 317s are pretty demic apparently.

I mean, Great Northern did receive the worst of the bunch when WAGN was split ;)

iantherev

Even worse for PR if trains are short formed and one is shuttling back and forth on the WSR tomorrow. I can quite understand why the shuttles have been cancelled. I'm just grateful the 08:00 Exeter SD - Penzance is booked HST tomorrow.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Even worse for PR if trains are short formed and one is shuttling back and forth on the WSR tomorrow. I can quite understand why the shuttles have been cancelled. I'm just grateful the 08:00 Exeter SD - Penzance is booked HST tomorrow.

Buses being provided by GWR for Taunton to Bishops Lydeard

AndrewE

Established Member
Not going to happen, the limiting factor is electrification not a lack of units as such.

Are you saying that the claimed lack of units is a cover for engineering preventing adequate (or even just planned) rolling stock provision? (i.e. a lie?)

smiffy9373

Quite a few units are out of action due to repairs after colliding with various fallen trees earlier in the week.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

D1009

Established Member
From GWR's point of view, it's a good job the weekend weather forecast for Devon isn't particularly good.

LiftFan

GWR have always seem to have been fairly short of rolling stock anyway, many times going to Weymouth on a hot day in a two coach sprinter (The worst is a two coach 158 with no open windows) and the train is full and standing...

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Quite a few units are out of action due to repairs after colliding with various fallen trees earlier in the week.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

What's the most common bit of damage from that (presumably something below buffer beam level)?

GWR have always seem to have been fairly short of rolling stock anyway, many times going to Weymouth on a hot day in a two coach sprinter (The worst is a two coach 158 with no open windows) and the train is full and standing...

Would GWR be allowed to use LHCS on that route to free up units to either boost capacity on other services or cover for damaged units?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
How did they manage with services from Cardiff for the Champions League Final? Or were these mostly HSTs?

All HSTs except for the 67 which had worked the Weymouth Wizard and which did a trip to Bristol TM and the returned to work to Paddington. There was a 7 Coach DMU formation came over from Bristol on a Portsmouth to work back to Bristol TM

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
What's the most common bit of damage from that (presumably something below buffer beam level)?

Would GWR be allowed to use LHCS on that route to free up units to either boost capacity on other services or cover for damaged units?

Haven't heard anything re damaged units so wondering if it was just an assumption after the weather. Any definite news of any damaged units would be welcome. The fleet is stretched to start with in regard to fleet numbers in relation to the fleet and number of diagrams. The real impact is due to PRM Mods and relive-ring with 4 units away at any one time.

Rich McLean

Established Member
2N04 Exeter St David's to Newquay is 2x153+150/2. Bags of room and don't see any need for that amount of capacity when the rest of the network is short. On a hot day maybe

JN114

Established Member
2N04 Exeter St David's to Newquay is 2x153+150/2. Bags of room and don't see any need for that amount of capacity when the rest of the network is short. On a hot day maybe

Going down, today, no. But it's a lunchtime train out of Newquay to Plymouth later; then a mid-afternoon Plymouth Truro; then works late trains on the branch which will be busy with revellers. Big picture.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I assume that the 150 at least will be dropped off somewhere (Plymouth?) to form other services, along with one of the dogboxes possibly? Surely not 4-cars through to Newquay this early in the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.