• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Exeter St Davids - Shift Pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,
I am currently going through the recruitment process for the Exeter St Davids talent pool.

I appreciate I am a long way off from any job offer, but my personal circumstances have changed due to a relationship breakup etc.

I don't want to carry on with the recruitment process if the working shift pattern is not compatible with home life and seeing my daughter etc. I am currently in the police so work long hours and shifts anyway.

Is there anyone who knows what the rough working hours are, or shift pattern is for GWR drivers at Exeter? (after training and qualification obviously.)

Also is basic training still completed at Newton Abbot?

Just interested at this stage.

Regards,
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vikingdriver

Hi,
I am currently going through the recruitment process for the Exeter St Davids talent pool.

I appreciate I am a long way off from any job offer, but my personal circumstances have changed due to a relationship breakup etc.

I don't want to carry on with the recruitment process if the working shift pattern is not compatible with home life and seeing my daughter etc. I am currently in the police so work long hours and shifts anyway.

Is there anyone who knows what the rough working hours are, or shift pattern is for GWR drivers at Exeter? (after training and qualification obviously.)

Also is basic training still completed at Newton Abbot?

Just interested at this stage.

Regards,
Tom

It will be a repeating 3 week roster with week 1 Sunday / Monday / Tuesday off, week 2 Wednesday / Thursday off, week 3 Friday / Saturday off (back into week 1 so making a 5 day weekend. There will be other Sundays off too depending where the committed Sundays are in the roster (won't be the long weekend).

Can't help you with the actual hours as I am not based there. We basically do a week of earlies, week of lates, week of earlies, week of lates and so on.

Indy3995

First 2 weeks of training starts at Swindon and Bristol. Then it would be a week of front end riding out of St Davids (although this may change in the future) Then at Newton Abbot for the rules part (around 8 weeks) with a week of front end riding again (as it stands) out of St Davids again.
Then 4 weeks back in Bristol doing traction training, (but again this may change in the future as they struggle to get the specific units up there, that you will drive when at St Davids)
Thats roughly how its made up at the moment.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
First 2 weeks of training starts at Swindon and Bristol. Then it would be a week of front end riding out of St Davids (although this may change in the future) Then at Newton Abbot for the rules part (around 8 weeks) with a week of front end riding again (as it stands) out of St Davids again.
Then 4 weeks back in Bristol doing traction training, (but again this may change in the future as they struggle to get the specific units up there, that you will drive when at St Davids)
Thats roughly how its made up at the moment.
Traction training will be completed at Bristol for the foreseeable, as that is where the 150 sim is. It's also the reason that Bristol/Westbury/Gloucester drivers don't have Turbos as core traction - the 166 sim isn't there

trolleyman

Traction training will be completed at Bristol for the foreseeable, as that is where the 150 sim is. It's also the reason that Bristol/Westbury/Gloucester drivers don't have Turbos as core traction - the 166 sim isn't there

Only until December apparently where core traction will change to 2+4 HST

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Only until December apparently where core traction will change to 2+4 HST
Not strictly correct. The base traction package will alter, but 2+4 won't be the 'core' traction as such. There's no guarantee the DIs will agree to instruct on them. They're only new to them themselves

trolleyman

Not strictly correct. The base traction package will alter, but 2+4 won't be the 'core' traction as such. There's no guarantee the DIs will agree to instruct on them. They're only new to them themselves

The DI’s I know are not happy to train the 2+4’s. Likewise some of us that have learnt/learning IETS are not happy for that to begin with either

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The DI’s I know are not happy to train the 2+4’s. Likewise some of us that have learnt/learning IETS are not happy for that to begin with either
Take it you're Bristol based?

One of the Bristol DIs I spoke to recently said he wasn't as unhappy to instruct the 800s as they're glorified units, and it's likely to be converting link 1/2 drivers rather than trainees.

trolleyman

Take it you're Bristol based?

One of the Bristol DIs I spoke to recently said he wasn't as unhappy to instruct the 800s as they're glorified units, and it's likely to be converting link 1/2 drivers rather than trainees.
Correct :)

I feel the exact same on the matter too Short term

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Correct :)

I feel the exact same on the matter too Short term
Catch you around then....

Already been told there's more of us than there are DIs for when we come handling in a month's time. I think I heard it's only 4? that don't sign IET or SFHST! Trainees for eternity it seems we'll be at the moment.

trolleyman

Catch you around then....

Already been told there's more of us than there are DIs for when we come handling in a month's time. I think I heard it's only 4? that don't sign IET or SFHST! Trainees for eternity it seems we'll be at the moment.

3 at Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.