• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR hire 387s

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR165022

apologies if there is already a thread for this.
Is there any specific diagrams that the c2c & GX 387s do with GWR? I know they've been seen a lot on Newbury's etc but I was wondering if any head up to Paddington?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
Is there any specific diagrams that the c2c & GX 387s do with GWR? I know they've been seen a lot on Newbury's etc but I was wondering if any head up to Paddington?

The Ex-c2c /3s have specific diagrams, and barring significant disruption you will only find them on Weekday, Reading to Newbury stoppers

The Ex-GX /2s have specific diagrams on paper, but can work completely interchangeably with the green fleet so they will just turn up everywhere.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Was there any point in GWR taking three c2c units if they can only ever use two of them on any given day on the Newbury diagrams? The third unit would appear to be only able to act as cover for the two in use. (I concede that c2c only need three, not four.)

JN114

Established Member
Was there any point in GWR taking three c2c units if they can only ever use two of them on any given day on the Newbury diagrams? The third unit would appear to be only able to act as cover for the two in use. (I concede that c2c only need three, not four.)

With 2+ months of hindsight, probably not - but although the differences were known, the effect on compatibility was not. The backdrop of them (and the slower to arrive /2s) was a much more significant drop in the IET fleet availability than has ultimately manifested - we were desperate to get our hands on absolutely everything we could.

As you rightly say, c2c only need 3 sets, so at this stage even if they’re having a relatively easy time of it the 3 sets aren’t being missed by them. If that changes they may well go back, especially once the last 2 Ex- GX sets are accepted (205/206)

Perhaps perpetuated somewhat by myself, and not wording things correctly the restriction is not Newbury work only. It is 4 car work only (or boxed both ends within a 12 car) - it’s just that typically, only the Newburys run as 4 cars so that’s where they’ve appeared.

And we can, and have used all 3 at once - there are 2 fixed diagrams which are 4 car Newbury work for the /3s, and there’s now another new Newbury diagram which they could work the vast majority of solo so you could have all 3 out that way (and we did at one point last week) - we’ve not yet availed ourselves of the opportunity but as above we can run them in 12 cars.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

As @JN114 says, the ex-GX services can end up all over although are primarily put on Newbury services (additional 387s replacing the majority of the 80x Bedwyn services) for ease. Some of these diagrams put them up at Paddington as happened last week and earlier today

It may well be it returns in time as its of limited use with the compatibility issues but let's not forget the backdrop at the time - the potential grounding of the entire 80x fleet - so I think it was fair to procure any available stock to allow stock juggling around to be done.

The exile

Established Member
As @JN114 says, the ex-GX services can end up all over although are primarily put on Newbury services (additional 387s replacing the majority of the 80x Bedwyn services) for ease. Some of these diagrams put them up at Paddington as happened last week and earlier today

It may well be it returns in time as its of limited use with the compatibility issues but let's not forget the backdrop at the time - the potential grounding of the entire 80x fleet - so I think it was fair to procure any available stock to allow stock juggling around to be done.
I suppose the third c2c unit might as well snooze its life away at Reading as at East Ham!

StephenHunter

Established Member
c2c operated its 6 387/3s on peak hours services in 12-car formations. Their operation was suspended with Covid, but the other three are in operation. Ultimately, they're due for replacement by 12x 5-car 720/6 Aventras next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.