• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR HST Farewell Railtour Timings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dhassell

I heard one of the power cars failed on the final leg of the tour how was it able to run to Plymouth I'm sure both power cars have to be fully operational to tackle those banks.

They managed to get the rear powercar (43002) going before reaching the banks, but on reduced power output. Two back to back powercars were sent halfway to Taunton in case they had to assist but it wasn't required.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The only reason they used 43002 was because of it's history, name and livery.

It also had issues on the last scheduled day of service as well.

Peter C

Established Member
As I have said earlier, 43002 seems to be very temperamental. The only 43 to fail on the 18th of May was 002 and it failed again on the railtour. In a perfect world, GWR would have done what the old GWR did - renaming an existing engine to look like another engine which is in service but wasn't available. The Great Western renamed an Castle class "Windsor Castle" for the then King's funeral train but a young enthusiast spotted that the new "Windsor Castle" wasn't actually the engine it's nameplates claimed to be! Seen as GWR had planned the railtour weeks in advance (or even months), surely they could have taken a few vinyl stickers out and repainted another 43 to look like 002? Probably not - silly ideas and all that.

-Peter

SN1 19-5

One of the last Kronics to be bought on a GWR HST. About half 8 on the Bananer!

Very nice it was too!

Slightly more expensive than the 66p ones I am supping tonight. Heyho!

If GWR decide to run another charidee speshul, please let me know!

SN1 19-5

One of them was misbehaving, probably due to being slowed down after Oxford. Blasting from Gloucester to Padd and then onwards West seemed to clear the pipes a bit.

I had just enough time to have a smoke at Carmarthen. I wasn't going to bother with the last bit of the tour. I am glad that I did

The last pics are supposed to be a vid of the set leaving Plymouth. My camera battery run out. No matter. That day was fun!

Peter C

Established Member
Some nice pictures and memories from the day! I couldn't ride on the railtour but saw it at Moreton-In-Marsh. And had a heart attack when it did the horn. :)

-Peter

SN1 19-5

Cheers Peter! It did cost a bit. £148 for a day out is quite a lot.

I did get to places that I haven't been. Hereford, Carmarthen and Plymouth.

Roughing it in Plymouth was interesting!

The iet's home on the Sunday didn't amount to much. EVEN if the ride was FOC!

Peter C

Established Member
Cheers Peter! It did cost a bit. £148 for a day out is quite a lot.

I did get to places that I haven't been. Hereford, Carmarthen and Plymouth.

Roughing it in Plymouth was interesting!

The iet's home on the Sunday didn't amount to much. EVEN if the ride was FOC!
You're welcome!
On one of the last days of Cotswold Line HSTs (4th May 2019) I decided to take a ride up to Hereford and return on what was the last HST to Hereford in passenger service (e.g. not the railtour). I was also on the last HST up the Cotswold Line on the 18th of June, and that was probably the best planning accident I've made! :)

-Peter

SN1 19-5

I don't want to pick nits Peter.

Has anyone got a vid of the Bananer going through Reading heading to Plymouth?

I have one on the train. I would like to see a vid station side!

Blow reading to bits!

Failing that. How can I upload vid stuff? My vids are too large to upload....

reddragon

Established Member
You're welcome!
On one of the last days of Cotswold Line HSTs (4th May 2019) I decided to take a ride up to Hereford and return on what was the last HST to Hereford in passenger service (e.g. not the railtour). I was also on the last HST up the Cotswold Line on the 18th of June, and that was probably the best planning accident I've made! :)

-Peter
Big accident there! June?

Status
Not open for further replies.