• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR IET’s Lots of 5 Car Sets PAD > South Wales

Energy

Established Member
Hitachi are currently not interested in providing intermediate vehicles and are also quoting 2028 for new 80x or similar orders, the vehicles for which are now likely to come from Italy or Japan.
The government's tinkering with the IEP contract around 2010 ended up with the order being quite a lot smaller than originally intended so all the 800/801 options were used up on the later 9 car 801 order. Were there any options in the 802 order?
and I’m not convinced that Hitachi are that bothered about UK orders drying up either.
Neither am I, when Bombardier got quiet they'd be shouting it across the local press. All press about Hitachi's small backlog has come from people external who have noticed the lack of orders, and Hitachi's write-down of the value of the plant.

Perhaps they have overseas orders planned but I can't see any which are designated for Newton Aycliffe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halish Railway

Established Member
The government's tinkering with the IEP contract around 2010 ended up with the order being quite a lot smaller than originally intended so all the 800/801 options were used up on the later 9 car 801 order. Were there any options in the 802 order?
Of course there was originally rumoured to be some ordered for XC.

IIRC TPE had an option to extend their 802s to 7 coaches.

Last edited:

Energy

Established Member
Of course there was originally rumoured to be some ordered for XC.
Not a rumour, the invitation to tender has :

1706580121654.png

Other Routes
  • WCML London - Northampton - Stoke - Manchester
  • ECML London - Cambridge - Ely - Kings Lynn
  • GWML West of England
  • XC Penzance/Plymouth - Edinburgh/Glasgow via Leeds and Newcastle
All are subject to price and value for money

Pat31

Not a rumour, the invitation to tender has :

View attachment 151388

Other Routes
  • WCML London - Northampton - Stoke - Manchester
  • ECML London - Cambridge - Ely - Kings Lynn
  • GWML West of England
  • XC Penzance/Plymouth - Edinburgh/Glasgow via Leeds and Newcastle
All are subject to price and value for money
What's this for? I'm slightly confused on how to read that?