• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR IET seat reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandanM

Afternoon all :)

For future reference...Is it possible to request a specific, numbered, seat in a coach on GWR trains when purchasing an advance ticket from a station office?.

I've recently bought an advance for Penzance in April and as usual requested 'Forward-facing,Window seat'. Upon checking the online seating plan I see that I'm seated on the inland side of the coach for this journey, whereas I'd prefer to be on the coastal side.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nunners

Afternoon all :)

For future reference...Is it possible to request a specific, numbered, seat in a coach on GWR trains when purchasing an advance ticket from a station office?.

I've recently bought an advance for Penzance in April and as usual requested 'Forward-facing,Window seat'. Upon checking the online seating plan I see that I'm seated on the inland side of the coach for this journey, whereas I'd prefer to be on the coastal side.

Thanks in anticipation.
You're normally able to get a seat reservation from a ticket office. I assume most of them would be happy to help in your case. You could also ask GWR on Twitter.

For next time you're booking tickets, TrainSplit lets you choose a seat when you're booking on GWR

Alex27

You can request a specific seat at the ticket office, but if that seat is reserved you'll just have to keep trying till you get one that isn't.

BrandanM

Thanks for replies.

I'm guessing that they normally spread out the seat reservations to maximise space nowadays.

It's just occurred to me that if I specify a particular window seat on the desired side of the train, I could unwittingly end up seated next to an already reserved aisle seat, whilst some seat pairs remain vacant.

Perhaps I'll just stick with 'Forward-facing, Window' when I buy the return journey advance ticket and hope I get the coastal side that time!.

Sussex Ben

You can request a specific seat at the ticket office, but if that seat is reserved you'll just have to keep trying till you get one that isn't.
Can specific seats be requested at any ticket office, or just GWR? I'll be travelling in August and would like to choose individual seats, but can't use TrainSplit as we'll be using priv rate tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can specific seats be requested at any ticket office, or just GWR? I'll be travelling in August and would like to choose individual seats, but can't use TrainSplit as we'll be using priv rate tickets.
In theory, yes but it may depend on the ticket issuing system (TIS) and how knowledgeable and contentious the staff member is.

If they don't give you what you want, you could tweet GWR to get it amended (if you don't use Twitter I could send the request on your behalf from the forum account).

As your post suggests, for public rate tickets it's easier to use a website with a seat selector such as the one you mentioned, but as you say that option isn't open when travelling at Priv rate.

Sussex Ben

In theory, yes but it may depend on the ticket issuing system (TIS) and how knowledgeable and contentious the staff member is.

If they don't give you what you want, you could tweet GWR to get it amended (if you don't use Twitter I could send the request on your behalf from the forum account).

As your post suggests, for public rate tickets it's easier to use a website with a seat selector such as the one you mentioned, but as you say that option isn't open when travelling at Priv rate.
I'll try the ticket offices I pass on a regular basis as a starting point, and if that doesn't work I'll tweet GWR as suggested. Thanks for the advice!

Wallsendmag

Established Member

LNER certainly can and LNW GTR and Chiltern use the same system

Haywain

Veteran Member
LNER certainly can and LNW GTR and Chiltern use the same system
As we don't have seating plans we can only select the expressed preferences or a specific seat - the latter relying on hoping it is available.

Sussex Ben

As we don't have seating plans we can only select the expressed preferences or a specific seat - the latter relying on hoping it is available.
Good to know, thanks. Will make sure I have a few seats in mind just in case our first choice isn’t available.

Status
Not open for further replies.