• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR planning Saturday Bristol - Oxford service Sept to Dec 2024

fishwomp

Thanks for sharing - it only appears to save 10 minutes versus changing at Didcot. That being said extra trains are always welcome[..]
Only if your connection is made! Having this - albeit only twice a day (hint hint, would like more) - improves connections at Swindon for south wales, particularly Swanseas which mostly don't stop in Didcot.
Current example: OXF-SWA ( avoiding RDG due to extra cost )

Oxf dep: 11:32d
Did: 11:44a -> 11:54d
Swi: 12:09a -> 12:41d
Swa: 14:29a

journey time: 2h57.

September timetable:
Oxf: 12:03d on the Bristol
Swi: 12:32a 12:40d
Swa: 14:32a

Journey time: 2h29.

28 mins saved. (3 mins lost due to longer dwell time for the PAD-SWA at Cardiff, grr..)

2h29 cannot be beaten by car, 2h57 can, easily - and may be more convenient as few people's origin or ultimate destination is the station

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
it only appears to save 10 minutes versus changing at Didcot
Along with above point, also worth remembering a lot of people value minimising changes, and the Didcot Turbos are disliked and have a tendency to get very crowded.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Donto be surprised to see east-west services run through to Bristol TM. Saves terminating at Oxford
Absolutely nothing has been suggested about that being the case, particularly as paths don’t exist and 196s don’t have 125mph capabilities either, so that’s rather misleading speculation really.

The exile

Established Member
Absolutely nothing has been suggested about that being the case, particularly as paths don’t exist and 196s don’t have 125mph capabilities either, so that’s rather misleading speculation really.
A lot was suggested in that direction (and not just on here) earlier on in the project, though intentions appear to have changed since.

Snow1964

Established Member
Nothing is planned short term.

It is not misleading in the sense that the documents that were linked to proposed reopening of Corsham station (and a possible reopening around Lyneham / Wooten Basset) if former RAF airfield was redeveloped all mentioned a possible semi fast from Bristol to Oxford, possibly continuing along East West Rail. I think it assumed line would be electrified and 110mph EMUs in regional configuration would be used.

To best of my knowledge, GWR hasn't yet 'replaced' the three 387s it released, and Chiltern hasn't yet got stock for East-West (just has a 2 year sub-lease on some West Midlands 196s to temporary cover until it gets fleet).

dk1

Veteran Member

From what I read the other day it’s more likely to be operated by the current Chiltern fleet with the 196s remaining in the West Mids.

Brissle Girl

Established Member

It is not misleading in the sense that the documents that were linked to proposed reopening of Corsham station (and a possible reopening around Lyneham / Wooten Basset) if former RAF airfield was redeveloped all mentioned a possible semi fast from Bristol to Oxford, possibly continuing along East West Rail. I think it assumed line would be electrified and 110mph EMUs in regional configuration would be used.
I think it was misleading in the sense that a) it implied a fairly short term position and b) would primarily be to avoid terminating at Oxford.

The documents you mention are all several years old, nothing has appeared to happen with any of those ideas (or is in the pipeline), and as you say, would probably depend on an electrified East West rail, for which there is no timescale.

So there wasn’t any substance behind the post. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see through services from Bristol to Milton Keynes and maybe even beyond, but it is many years away.

The Planner

Veteran Member
From what I read the other day it’s more likely to be operated by the current Chiltern fleet with the 196s remaining in the West Mids.
That has the potential to bork the timetable then as you could only run 168s and a 196 will be quicker off the blocks.

dk1

Veteran Member
That has the potential to bork the timetable then as you could only run 168s and a 196 will be quicker off the blocks.

I think the line speed is being dropped from that originally envisaged on certain parts of EWR too. I’m expecting 90 rather than 100 as it’s more cost effective.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I think the line speed is being dropped from that originally envisaged on certain parts of EWR too. I’m expecting 90 rather than 100 as it’s more cost effective.
Its 100 HST from Bicester to Bletchley, id be amazed if that got dropped at this point when its effectively built. There is very little saving in it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’m assuming this is beyond that on future sections.
The EWR TWA inspector’s report states that the agreed project definition did not include any increases in Bletchley - Bedford line speeds anyway. So nothing there has actually been reduced either. Beyond Bedford I’d suggest anyone would be guessing at this stage.

Last edited:

Wychwood93

To best of my knowledge, GWR hasn't yet 'replaced' the three 387s it released, and Chiltern hasn't yet got stock for East-West (just has a 2 year sub-lease on some West Midlands 196s to temporary cover until it gets fleet).
Part of the former RAF Lyneham airfield, the NW perimeter, is now a 69.5Mw solar farm :

DTTC Lyneham Solar Farm​

OperatorDefence Infrastructure Organisation
Output69.50 MW
Repd_id2203
Sourcesolar

nw1

Established Member

Mind you at one time you had a regular Bristol-Oxford (hourly) operated with Turbos, sharing the line with HSTs.

And of course up to pretty recently the Paddington-Reading Main line was a mix of HSTs, 180s and Turbos, with many services per hour.

Trainman40083

Just think..Sort out the rebuild of the Oxford station area, complete the electrification from Didcot, include the curve and you could have 387s work Oxford to Swindon... Then just need to sort to Bristol Ten Foot Weeds.

The exile

Established Member
Mind you at one time you had a regular Bristol-Oxford (hourly) operated with Turbos, sharing the line with HSTs.

And of course up to pretty recently the Paddington-Reading Main line was a mix of HSTs, 180s and Turbos, with many services per hour.
Service frequency on the London trains has increased since then, hasn’t it?

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Was it ever hourly throughout the day though? Post #33 does have some circa 60 minute gaps between trains, but also some 2 hour intervals!

That was my initial reaction too but consulting the 1998-99 Winter timetable does show a roughly hourly daytime service between Bicester/Oxford and Bristol. I don’t think it lasted though, my recollection is of a roughly 2-hourly service that declined over several years until withdrawal.

dk1

Veteran Member
That was my initial reaction too but consulting the 1998-99 Winter timetable does show a roughly hourly daytime service between Bicester/Oxford and Bristol. I don’t think it lasted though, my recollection is of a roughly 2-hourly service that declined over several years until withdrawal.

My recollection of it was of several cancellations due to unit reliability.

May have been driver shortages too.

nw1

Established Member
Was it ever hourly throughout the day though? Post #33 does have some circa 60 minute gaps between trains, but also some 2 hour intervals!

Ah sorry, missed that earlier post.

I'm sure it was an hourly clockface pattern at one point. I can't remember exactly what year but probably a little before 2001. Perhaps 1999 or so.

Service frequency on the London trains has increased since then, hasn’t it?

True but in the late 90s there were still 2tph Bristol-London at certain times of day, round the peaks, and by 2000 I think there were 2tph all day: which presumably means we have just one more per hour now (the second Cardiff)? Also, as I said they managed to fit a few Turbos on the main line between Paddington and Reading for many years, slotted between HSTs (of which there were 5 per hour). They did this by timing the Turbos to leave Paddington shortly after an HST, so it was still ahead of the next HST by Reading. Swindon could presumably be a point where a London train could overtake a Bristol-Oxford.

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
Swindon could presumably be a point where a London train could overtake a Bristol-Oxford.
Certainly possible, but scheduling it at a busy station with only 3 through platforms might be asking for trouble. Would suggest fettling up some /all of the loops for passenger use (if they’re not already)might be preferable (coupled with restoring the third platform at Chippenham for additional flexibility)

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Certainly possible, but scheduling it at a busy station with only 3 through platforms might be asking for trouble. Would suggest fettling up some /all of the loops for passenger use (if they’re not already)might be preferable (coupled with restoring the third platform at Chippenham for additional flexibility)

The relief lines between Challow and Wantage Road are already cleared for passenger use.

Wychwood93

The relief lines between Challow and Wantage Road are already cleared for passenger use.
May not need those or Swindon. RTT for 14th September sees, for Oxford/Bristol TM:

Scheduled for an 80x and the path would appear to be alright. Overall there are 5 mins engineering allowance and 1 for pathing.

A venture into the world of speculation would be that, should the service be popular, an extension south to Taunton/Exeter/Plymouth and north to Banbury (Leamington?)/Bicester could follow at some stage - rolling stock availability etc. permitting.

The Planner

Veteran Member
May not need those or Swindon. RTT for 14th September sees, for Oxford/Bristol TM:

Scheduled for an 80x and the path would appear to be alright. Overall there are 5 mins engineering allowance and 1 for pathing.

A venture into the world of speculation would be that, should the service be popular, an extension south to Taunton/Exeter/Plymouth and north to Banbury (Leamington?)/Bicester could follow at some stage - rolling stock availability etc. permitting.
No chance of Bicester or Leamington.

Brissle Girl

Established Member

Don't forget that until electrification of the EWR route the only stock realistically available to operate a through service is DMU stock limited to 100mph.

And so the second point becomes very much into the realms of fantasy.

Wychwood93

No chance of Bicester or Leamington.
Noted and agree. No comment re. a further southward extension also noted - you could have a fast service, or a semi, which would include WSM. The CDF/PNZ could remain as is - as per my previous post, it all depends on stock, paths etc.

Don't forget that until electrification of the EWR route the only stock realistically available to operate a through service is DMU stock limited to 100mph.

And so the second point becomes very much into the realms of fantasy.
The Planner killed (certainly incapacitated) the first bit - the second appears to be, at the moment, somewhat open. It was not quite fantasy - just speculation as to possibility dependant on service use and customer feedback. Sir Humphrey would have liked the last bit!

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Noted and agree. No comment re. a further southward extension also noted - you could have a fast service, or a semi, which would include WSM. The CDF/PNZ could remain as is - as per my previous post, it all depends on stock, paths etc.

The Planner killed (certainly incapacitated) the first bit - the second appears to be, at the moment, somewhat open. It was not quite fantasy - just speculation as to possibility dependant on service use and customer feedback. Sir Humphrey would have liked the last bit!
Bicester and Leamington are appalling places to terminate at from the south, Banbury would have legs if it was ever considered.

Class 170101

Established Member
Bicester and Leamington are appalling places to terminate at from the south, Banbury would have legs if it was ever considered.
And I'd say Oxford as well.

I'm surprised in a way that the (future) Bristol to Oxford service (as I write this post) and ther current London to Oxford services don't carry on to Banbury and terminate there (or even Stratford Upon Avon which Chiltern don't seem to want anymore).