• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Pullman dining reinstated

kingston

Is the Pullman dining service available from Paddington to Taunton? I'm sure I've done this before but it now says:

19:04
London Paddington First call for Pullman Dining

19:31
Reading Last call for Pullman Dining

20:49
Taunton (Pullman not available as journey is too short)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Is the Pullman dining service available from Paddington to Taunton? I'm sure I've done this before but it now says:

Seems to have changed but I’m sure if you get on and ask they might accommodate?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I'm slightly confused by what you're doing? If you get on at Paddington you'll certainly have time for dinner. I believe what the website might be trying to communicate (though I can't find the page you've seen, could you link?) is that if you get on at Taunton there isn't enough time.

kingston

That's what I hoped, I'm travelling Paddington to Taunton and want the dinner service.

Do they not start it until after Reading maybe and there's now not enough time to do the service before Taunton?

If the last call is at Reading it doesn't make much sense to be saying if you get on at Taunton there isn't enough time, but it could be a bug.

It does seem to be saying if you're travelling to Taunton the journey is too short?

If I put in PAD to TAU it does let me continue to the final page, but then again if I put in PAD to RDG it lets me do that too..

DelayRepay

Established Member
That's what I hoped, I'm travelling Paddington to Taunton and want the dinner service.

Do they not start it until after Reading maybe and there's now not enough time to do the service before Taunton?

If the last call is at Reading it doesn't make much sense to be saying if you get on at Taunton there isn't enough time, but it could be a bug.

It does seem to be saying if you're travelling to Taunton the journey is too short?

If I put in PAD to TAU it does let me continue to the final page, but then again if I put in PAD to RDG it lets me do that too..

I think it means if you are boarding at Taunton, you can't have dinner as there's not enough time left.

kingston

I think it means if you are boarding at Taunton, you can't have dinner as there's not enough time left.

Taunton station is after Reading station on GWR, and Reading is "Last call for Pullman Dining" - so there's no option for dinner if boarding at Taunton.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Taunton station is after Reading station on GWR, and Reading is "Last call for Pullman Dining" - so there's no option for dinner if boarding at Taunton.
Yes. You said:

But in fact they are saying if you are travelling from Taunton the journey is too short.

kingston

But in fact they are saying if you are travelling from Taunton the journey is too short.

I think you're confused - it says last orders for food are at 19:31 at Reading.

It wouldn't matter how long or short your journey is from Taunton at 20:49 as it's closed, so it can't mean your journey from Taunton is too short.

Obsessing over a small thing but I'm getting married the next day and it would make for a nice start to the festivities etc, it would be annoying to turn up at Paddington and them say No and have no dinner plans.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
They will serve you if boarding at Paddington or Reading, but not any station thereafter. Reading to Taunton is fine, but you may just want to mention you're alighting at Taunton in case of any issues, they can then make your a priority over Plymouth passengers. But you'll be fine.

WesternLancer

Established Member

It wouldn't matter how long or short your journey is from Taunton at 20:49 as it's closed, so it can't mean your journey from Taunton is too short.

Obsessing over a small thing but I'm getting married the next day and it would make for a nice start to the festivities etc, it would be annoying to turn up at Paddington and them say No and have no dinner plans.
IIRC one of the things you can do (could do pre covid anyway) was ring GWR customer services or some such - there was a number on the Pullman dining pages of the GWR website - and actually reserve / notify them of your intention to dine in the restaurant - not sure if this was because I had booked a 1st class ticket - I had a 1st advance on a lunch time service - but it all worked well in my case.

EAD

Just to note you can reserve a space online or via Whatsapp/phone in advance if you hold a 1st class ticket. Otherwise, talk to crew on boarding at Paddington to get a space if on a standard ticket (also worth doing so as soon as you can access the train as evening ones are more popular than lunchtime). As others have said my understanding is you can dine if getting off at Taunton and when I used it in March, those doing so were clear in telling the crew that who then prioritised them so they could enjoy their meal and be ready to alight at Tuanton.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You'll be fine. Board at Paddington, just let them know you're going to Taunton and there will be no dramas. You can then settle in to enjoy an ideal start to an exciting period (congratulations) :)

berneyarms

Established Member

Actually it does mean is what @DelayRepay said it means. It’s just reinforcing the point.

DelayRepay

Established Member

I'm not confused. I think the website is clear that passengers from Paddington or Reading can eat, but passengers from beyond Reading cannot eat. As you are boarding at Paddington it will be fine.

If you're joining at Paddington then you will be fine. The only reason you wouldn't be able to eat is if there are exceptional circumstances such as an equipment fault or no chef being available. Both are unlikely.

And I echo @ainsworth74's congratulations! It sounds like a great way to start your wedding period.

It's a long time since I've had a proper meal on a train, as opposed to a sandwich or whatever passes for a meal on LNER these days. It's on my 'to do' list for later this year - just hoping they're not on strike at the time as it ties in with a few days away in the South West.

steeevooo

Firstly, congratulations! But secondly, if you are so concerned about it, why not contact GWR directly with your concern to receive an official answer?

Have to say I don't understand why anyone would want to eat on a train. The combination of food and sensation of movement is rarely a pleasant one. Even just the smell of others eating in the same carriage can be quite nauseating. The notion of paying a premium even over first class peak time tickets for microwaved M&S ready meals while sat on an ironing board in a blindingly bright, cramped space akin to a Guantanamo interrogation cell in lighting and comfort while moving at 100+mph bewilders me. There are much, much better dining experiences to be had in traditional pubs, restaurants and hotels...

robert thomas

Have to say I don't understand why anyone would want to eat on a train. The combination of food and sensation of movement is rarely a pleasant one. Even just the smell of others eating in the same carriage can be quite nauseating. The notion of paying a premium even over first class peak time tickets for microwaved M&S ready meals while sat on an ironing board in a blindingly bright, cramped space akin to a Guantanamo interrogation cell in lighting and comfort while moving at 100+mph bewilders me. There are much, much better dining experiences to be had in traditional pubs, restaurants and hotels...
Words fail me

Me too; Eating on a train can be, and usually is, in my experience, a most pleasant way of passing a journey, and I do not recognise any of the supposed issues described above.

Maybe I am just of unusually delicate constitution, but I find that any form of motion coupled with eating or having eaten recently is a recipe for it coming back up... even when the motion stops, I find I need to just sit still for a good half hour to let my stomach settle before I can face eating anything much. That aside, if it wasn’t on a train, would you put up with such poor seating and ambience coupled with such mediocre food anywhere else? It strikes me that rail travellers have cut the TOCs too much slack for too long in terms of tolerating inferior food.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Maybe I am just of unusually delicate constitution, but I find that any form of motion coupled with eating or having eaten recently is a recipe for it coming back up... even when the motion stops, I find I need to just sit still for a good half hour to let my stomach settle before I can face eating anything much. That aside, if it wasn’t on a train, would you put up with such poor seating and ambience coupled with such mediocre food anywhere else? It strikes me that rail travellers have cut the TOCs too much slack for too long in terms of tolerating inferior food.
sounds like classic motion sickness symptoms to me.

As for quality - we are not talking avg train buffet / trolley fodder here - I have certainly experienced worse food / poorer service / higher prices in fancy restaurants in my town than in a GWR restaurant car, or indeed in the old GNER restaurant cars before Nat Express abolished them.

And not many static restaurants offer the ambience of an ever changing view (not even rotating restaurants up towers - if any of them left) as the train goes along

But of course each to their own and I can well imagine if you do suffer from any sort of motion sickness it could be very unpleasant option.

Established Member

Which food are you talking about specifically?

Pullman dining on GWR is really excellent in my experience, of restaurant quality. Most buffets (the few that remain) serve sandwiches/wraps which are generally pretty decent and similar to what you might find in, say, M&S.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
for microwaved M&S ready meals
I've not personally sampled GWR Pullman food yet- but if it's anything like the TFW "Gerald" service which I have used many times before Covid between Cardiff and Chester the food is far superior to even most Restaurants on the high street.

John Luxton

Established Member
It is many years since I have dined on a train but as a teenager and through to my early 20s when I quit the rails in 82 after passing my driving test on board dining was a very attractive experience. Next year I intend to get an "All Lines 1st Rover" and look forward to sampling what remains available restaurant car wise.

A friend and former colleague of mine who has absolutely no interest in transport other than to get from A to B shares my enthusiasm for on-train dining - his experiences were with CIE / IE on visits to see family in Cork as he preferred the rail and sail option rather than flying. His dining experiences also ended when he passed his test (though much later than I) as he now takes the car by sea. However, get him talking about on train dining and his enthusiasm comes through.

I too like traditional pubs / restaurants and hotels and have several regular "watering holes" for holidays and short breaks all chosen because they are traditional and "non chain" - but I would not seek to compare them to railway dining.

John

Snow1964

Established Member
I've not personally sampled GWR Pullman food yet- but if it's anything like the TFW "Gerald" service which I have used many times before Covid between Cardiff and Chester the food is far superior to even most Restaurants on the high street.

Neither have I been able to sample it, although most journeys on my line are well over 3 hours (and end at Cardiff) GWR have decided not to provide any catering whatsoever.

John Luxton

Established Member
My interest in transport extends to ships - and I have had quite a few moving experiences at sea - even once where one of the catering staff had to make a sudden exit whilst serving me in an Irish Sea gale. :D

For some reason I just don't get motion sick (thank goodness) and I have sailed through quite a few stormy seas even whilst dining - but don't ask me to go on a roller coaster.

Many years ago I was supervising children on a school trip to a fare ground and the ride attendant insisted I ride with the children. Not wishing to be a spoil sport I went on a roller coaster for the one and only time - the old wooden one at Southport. - The only time in my life I have felt queasy not only did I feel sick but my legs at turned to jelly.

Retorus

This just reads like you desperately need motion sickness tablets. Try Stugeron.

philjo

Established Member
How busy is the Pullman dining coach for the 12:23 Swansea to Paddington service? I would be boarding at Newport but can board at Cardiff if it increases my chances of getting a seat for dining. I Will have a standard class ticket so can’t reserve the dining seat in advance.
Thanks

robert thomas

How busy is the Pullman dining coach for the 12:23 Swansea to Paddington service? I would be boarding at Newport but can board at Cardiff if it increases my chances of getting a seat for dining. I Will have a standard class ticket so can’t reserve the dining seat in advance.
Thanks
If you are just looking for a single seat you should be OK in my experience

matto

Hi all - similar to philjo, I'm just trying to get a sense of how busy the Pullman Dining is these days. We would be 2 in standard, on the 19:04 to Plymouth (on a Monday evening). I contacted GWR themselves but they said it could vary based on a number of factors. I'm sure that's true and one can't be specific, but does anyone have a view if, in general, it's usually busy/usually not busy (availability for standard)?

Cheers

Last edited: