• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Pullman dining reinstated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

popeter45

when do pullman services finish before christmas?, booked on pad-swa train on friday and doesnt let me reserve desite thursday being avalible?

sh24

Thursday 21st is the last day I believe. If you want to double check then WhatsApp the GWR social team, they are normally super responsive and helpful .

williamn

Every time I see a new post on this thread I fear it's to say that the service is being discontinued!

RailWonderer

Established Member
I've always had the impression Pullman dining is an operational hassle and they can only be bothered to do it on the bare minimum of trains regardless of whether it does good business. Otherwise there are some very busy services it would easily do good business on.

MrJeeves

Established Member
I've been told by crew that the leaving-London services are often very well utilised. They run the lunchtime to-London services simply because the crew and stock is on the train already so no loss to just run it anyway.

dk1

Veteran Member
I just find it amazing that they opted to put a kitchen in so many sets for the very occasional restaurant but dismissed a buffet counter from the outset.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I just find it amazing that they opted to put a kitchen in so many sets for the very occasional restaurant but dismissed a buffet counter from the outset.

DfT specification, nothing to do with GWR.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes it was. Very odd the DfT were so keen on a very limited dining service continuing though.
Or did the DfT visualise something more akin to the LNER/VTEC/EC approach of having a smaller complimentary food offer in 1st class on every service being introduced rather than continuing to offer a full service restaurant on a handful of services? I suspect that's rather more what was going on here. The DfT had one idea for how things should work, GWR had another but as the DfT were in charge of the specification GWR got what they were given. So many kitchens, in fact, that I remain convinced that there will be some units whose kitchens will have yet to be used in anger.

dk1

Veteran Member
Or did the DfT visualise something more akin to the LNER/VTEC/EC approach of having a smaller complimentary food offer in 1st class on every service being introduced rather than continuing to offer a full service restaurant on a handful of services? I suspect that's rather more what was going on here. The DfT had one idea for how things should work, GWR had another but as the DfT were in charge of the specification GWR got what they were given. So many kitchens, in fact, that I remain convinced that there will be some units whose kitchens will have yet to be used in anger.

Yes I have always been confused by the discussion. Don't get me wrong, I’m all for the restaurants and the continuation of Pullman dining so long may it continue.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
ere given. So many kitchens, in fact, that I remain convinced that there will be some units whose kitchens will have yet to be used in anger.

I very much doubt this, most 80x offer a catering service and some aspect of the kitchen will be used for this, albeit not all the equipment.

williamn

I've been told by crew that the leaving-London services are often very well utilised. They run the lunchtime to-London services simply because the crew and stock is on the train already so no loss to just run it anyway.
I've been turned away from the up train's lunch before due to them being full!

sh24

The 13:16 up from Plymouth can be quite quiet in winter, but during the summer it loads well. 18:16 up is normally fairly busy - the average load seems to be 10-11 but I've seen it fill up L and overspill into K. It attracts more walk ins IME.

alastair

I've used the Totnes/Reading and return lunch services a few times in 2023. Typically, the diner will be empty from Plymouth then 4 or 6 for lunch might join at Totnes, then maybe 4 at Exeter where lunch service commences. On the 1329 from Reading there might be 8 or so who have joined at Paddington plus maybe 3 or 4 joining at Reading. I also fear for it's survival, so make a point of using it! I always travel on a standard ticket and you are always allowed to remain in the dining car until you get off. The crew are simply excellent, even giving me a personal welcome even though it was many weeks since I had last travelled!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The Swansea London one I've used three times, so not a huge amount to judge by, but every time I've been almost the only person in the restaurant.

Private Baxter

Established Member
It looks like Pullman has been temporarily restored on the 1803 Pad to Penzance service, that is until late February due to the engineering works. The timings of the Up lunch however is, suprisingly unaffected.
Will be interesting to see how bookings compare to the very popular 1903 departure.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
When an HST the 1803 restaurant was always popular. I’d like to think the good times could return and return the Golden Hind to it’s important status.

Private Baxter

Established Member
When an HST the 1803 restaurant was always popular. I’d like to think the good times could return and return the Golden Hind to it’s important status.
Indeed. It is the only service pre covid I never used, but understand this was the flagship one, the most popular with a group of regulars.
Hopefully these next few weeks it will be prove to be again. That said, it is a 'peak' train, so perhaps might make a difference.

sh24

The crews view was moving it to a peak train would be a negative move...lets see

alastair

The crews view was moving it to a peak train would be a negative move...lets see
I agree, for anyone travelling standard class on a walk-up ticket the 1903 was open to super off peak tickets, the 1803 requires an off peak, that's an extra £25 on a Totnes/Paddington return (with a railcard).

Private Baxter

Established Member
I agree, for anyone travelling standard class on a walk-up ticket the 1903 was open to super off peak tickets, the 1803 requires an off peak, that's an extra £25 on a Totnes/Paddington return (with a railcard).
To be fair, I don't think the 1903 gets may walk-ups, as it tends to get booked up most nights... and officially you need a first class ticket to reserve.
I suppose the hope is that those who regularly use the 1903 will use the 1803 for the next few weeks.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Is there any risk of this change continuing into March as I am planning on travelling on the 1903 on March 7th specifically to do the Pullman dining?

ScouserGirl

Oh dear, not driven by Plymouth drivers. Shame expect a rough ride then......
Haha my partner is a Plymouth driver I’ll let him know you compliment them with their driving skills haha!!

I’ve done the Pullman twice once with my partner and once with my dad, the steak was absolutely beautiful on it! They used to do breakfasts on the up services and there were two sittings you would change at Taunton for the 2nd sitting and I believe if you went in at Taunton you could sit in first until London. Just a shame they scrapped the breakfast I would have liked to have tried it.