• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR timetable alterations from 8th January

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Because of higher than usual levels of staff being absent or self-isolating due to Covid, a reduced temporary timetable comes into effect from Saturday 8 January, ensuring that we can provide the majority of our usual, planned trains, and drastically reduce the number of short notice cancellations.

The temporary timetable will be updated on a weekly basis and is only expected to be in operation for a short time - until the impact of the Omicron variant has reduced."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
This is very much DFT imposed apparently and makes little sense as there are now far more drivers available due to fewer taking annual leave since the turn of the year. Includes the likes of 1315 Plymouth to London, a busy train which will now see the 1415 up full and standing. Also unsure what this means for the Pullman as the 1315 is a restaurant train. Bad times ahead.

Established Member
This is very much DFT imposed apparently and makes little sense as there are now far more drivers available due to fewer taking annual leave since the turn of the year. Includes the likes of 1315 Plymouth to London, a busy train which will now see the 1415 up full and standing. Also unsure what this means for the Pullman as the 1315 is a restaurant train. Bad times ahead.
The PDF shows the 1315 is running next week but the 1515 cancelled. I do find odd that cuts are taking place now as services in my local area and presumably else where are running better than they were so far this week.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There's a fairly even spread of trains being cancelled. That being said, crew shortages really haven't been too bad. The LTV side barely ever has any issues. Local services in the W. Country have on the other hand been very hampered by cancellations & shortages for months so a bit more certainty in that regard can't hurt.

A couple of very empty trains (like the 1808 to Frome) are on the list too. These are very selective based on a multitude of passenger loading data from the last 12-18 months.

irish_rail

Established Member
The PDF shows the 1315 is running next week but the 1515 cancelled. I do find odd that cuts are taking place now as services in my local area and presumably else where are running better than they were so far this week.
No doubt the 1515 going will have a knock on effect because that's a Plymouth driver who then works the 2004 to Plymouth, hope they can find someone else to work that then! Sounds like it will cause more crewing headaches, absolutely bizarre cancelling that 1515 one, no advantage whatsoever.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
No doubt the 1515 going will have a knock on effect because that's a Plymouth driver who then works the 2004 to Plymouth, hope they can find someone else to work that then! Sounds like it will cause more crewing headaches, absolutely bizarre cancelling that 1515 one, no advantage whatsoever.

The 20.04 is also cancelled so surely this makes total sense as it’s removed the entire crew diagram?

irish_rail

Established Member
The 20.04 is also cancelled so surely this makes total sense as it’s removed the entire crew diagram?
Yep just seen the entire job caped next week. Countless spares at Plymouth Monday afternoon, not quite sure there's much point in paying people 60k to take up space in the messroom, but if that's what the Dft want then I'm sure those spare drivers will be happy to be spare doing nowt!

Annetts key

Established Member
Yep just seen the entire job caped next week. Countless spares at Plymouth Monday afternoon, not quite sure there's much point in paying people 60k to take up space in the messroom, but if that's what the Dft want then I'm sure those spare drivers will be happy to be spare doing nowt!
When ‘spare’ can’t they ‘work from home’ ?

Mintona

Established Member

A scene likely replicated at other depots.

Melancholia

Anyone in the know able to give an estimate when the reduced timetable is no longer in place? It's coming up to two months since this "temporary" timetable is in place. It just feels like there's a different reason as to why it's in place, and covid is just being used as an excuse.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Anyone in the know able to give an estimate when the reduced timetable is no longer in place? It's coming up to two months since this "temporary" timetable is in place. It just feels like there's a different reason as to why it's in place, and covid is just being used as an excuse.

Looking at some of the cancellations today due to shortage of crew it appears the problem isn’t over

irish_rail

Established Member
Looking at some of the cancellations today due to shortage of crew it appears the problem isn’t over
The blockades at Plymouth certainly won't be helping things. Some of the saturday diagrams are shocking as a result of the engineering.

Am I right in thinking some trains are back in the timetable from Monday, including 1515 Plymouth to Paddington ànd 0547 Plymouth to Paddington? Anyone able to confirm?

Melancholia

The blockades at Plymouth certainly won't be helping things. Some of the saturday diagrams are shocking as a result of the engineering.

Am I right in thinking some trains are back in the timetable from Monday, including 1515 Plymouth to Paddington ànd 0547 Plymouth to Paddington? Anyone able to confirm?

Looks like they are back according to their changes to train times on their website

Weekender

Crew shortages has been a major problem for GWR since at least 2015. Particularly on the Cotswold lines and at weekends. It never seems to be a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.