• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobG

it may be that they have enough people in pools to see them through and just aren’t progressing those at earlier stages in the recruitment process?

I emailed them asking for clarification on why the application was closed when I was told to wait for the next stage. I explained that if it’s just a case of them choosing not to progress my application any further, then I understand, but just wanting to know why it’s no longer open and if they’re planning on running another recruitment drive for trainee drivers any time soon. I’ll keep trying for now, but can’t help but feel disheartened. Been waiting and trying to get into it for the best part of 4 years and so far, this is the furthest I’ve got. With only GWR and Freightliner falling within 60minutes if where I live, my opportunities are limited and relocation isn’t really an option. I applied for a trainee driver role with Freightliner in April, but didn’t pass the personality profile for whatever reason, which means I can’t apply again for at least 6months, which is up at the end of this month, but of course they’re not recruiting now.

RobG

Just a follow up. Got an email back from them today. Seems that they pulled the job opening in general, or at least that’s what they’ve told me. As someone else on here said, they’ve probably decided that they’ve already got enough people in the pool.

Firestarter

So I applied for the talent pool for Paddington in November 2018, completed the initial online assessment, didn’t hear anything after that and to be honest completely forgot I even applied for this position until I got a email in May asking me to book in for a assessment day for October (Today).

I emailed back advising that I’d already successfully completed all the tests (at this stage I had yet to pass the MMI which I have since passed) to a enhanced standard with a different TOC. They replayed back saying according to database I had ‘failed some of the tests’ and I would need to sit them again, anyway after a few more emails back n forth I decided (Hoped) HR had maybe made a mistake and I’ll just go to assessment centre anyway.

Went along to assessment centre today, obviously filled in the Pre Form including ticking I’ve sat a assessment before, had my previous results checked and confirmed as being all passed but was then told GWR still want me to sit the lot again, which I declined and walked out.

Anybody know why GWR would not accept my previous test results all of which apart from one are less then 18 months old?

I’ve read in this forum GWR progressing people straight to DMI that have already completed the tests? Luckily I’m just waiting to have a DMI with a different TOC.

Do GWR not accept previous results taken with a different TOC?

Sorry for long post

PaulBusDriver

I'm aware of a work friend who passed all assessments with Freightliner to enhanced standard but, like you, was told he would need to re-sit them by GWR. He also refused and was mightily annoyed about the situation.

I personally applied for the same position with Freightliner but got national standard due to one test scoring lower, GWR were happy to put me through for stage 2 tests and MMI. I am now in a talent pool for GWR, which is bizarre logic really considering I scored lower than my work friend.
I haven't got the faintest idea why or what the thinking is behind not accepting prior OPC passes, it's just more expensive for GWR to test applicants who are proven capable.

So I applied for the talent pool for Paddington in November 2018, completed the initial online assessment, didn’t hear anything after that and to be honest completely forgot I even applied for this position until I got a email in May asking me to book in for a assessment day for October (Today).

I emailed back advising that I’d already successfully completed all the tests (at this stage I had yet to pass the MMI which I have since passed) to a enhanced standard with a different TOC. They replayed back saying according to database I had ‘failed some of the tests’ and I would need to sit them again, anyway after a few more emails back n forth I decided (Hoped) HR had maybe made a mistake and I’ll just go to assessment centre anyway.

Went along to assessment centre today, obviously filled in the Pre Form including ticking I’ve sat a assessment before, had my previous results checked and confirmed as being all passed but was then told GWR still want me to sit the lot again, which I declined and walked out.

Anybody know why GWR would not accept my previous test results all of which apart from one are less then 18 months old?

I’ve read in this forum GWR progressing people straight to DMI that have already completed the tests? Luckily I’m just waiting to have a DMI with a different TOC.

Sorry for long post

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member

Sorry for long post

Sorry to hear this. As per my PM to you;

I only had to have a DMI for GWR as I had passes that were current for all other assessments (most of which were over 3.5 years old). GWR only need the national standard, but I passed a couple recently to enhanced with Freightliner (as well as the MMI), and the rest to national standard with SWT a few years ago. Seems very inconsistent.

I’d be the same though and don’t blame you for pulling out. In fact, I specifically went to GWR as they advised they would be able to use my assessment results for up to 5 years, where as SWR would only use them for three years (obviously I also applied to them because I wanted to work for another TOC and wanted to drive some of the most picturesque routes in the country too...;)). I was internal to SWR so would it have been far easier to stick with them if they would use my passes. What I didn’t want was to take them again and risk failing and being back at square one.

Danny_H22

I have my DMI tomorrow and I feel like I should be more worried than I am. I’m sure I will feel it tomorrow, but so far I feel good

Daydr3am3r

I have my DMI tomorrow and I feel like I should be more worried than I am. I’m sure I will feel it tomorrow, but so far I feel good

All the best Danny. You’ve done great to get this far. Just be yourself and I’m sure you’ll smash it!

Danny_H22

Good luck for tomorrow :)

Thank you. I’m pretty excited for it so hopefully that helps relax me whilst I’m there.

All the best Danny. You’ve done great to get this far. Just be yourself and I’m sure you’ll smash it!

Thank you. I’m sure it will be fine and all I can do is my best and see what happens. I’m excited to see the format and how accommodating the interviewers are

baz962

Established Member

Sorry for long post
I sat my tests with one toc and failed dmi . Applied to a few different jobs including Gwr. Started with my current toc and just before passing out , got offered a dmi with Gwr , no mention of testing.

Lankywhale

Ah okay thanks for the replies. Managed to convince myself they must have sent the congratulatory stage 2 email by mistake aha

Busandrail

Medical done. All good. When the doc looked at my ECG he said there was one irregular bit but put it down to just being anxious as everything else was fine.

How long does it usually take between medical pass to firm offer?

Tommy222256

Medical done. All good. When the doc looked at my ECG he said there was one irregular bit but put it down to just being anxious as everything else was fine.

Took me 4-5 weeks!

Liam00086

Had my medical 25th September, formal offer 24th October contract arrived this morning 25th October

T-Karmel

According to what I have been told during both OPCs (paper tests and later computerised tests) test results are valid for 5 years but GWR do not accept them and to try again within GWR I'd need to sit all of them again.

Indy3995

Nice one Pal!
A few weeks, maybe a bit longer as your start date is a few months off yet.

DWR

New member - first post.

I passed my 1st & 2nd driver assessments and the MMI and each time I received an invite to the next stage within 2 days. I've been told the next stage is a DMI, but haven't received an invite two weeks later? Should I be worried?

GWR, 19/20 talent pool at Plymouth.

Nonuts

New member - first post.

I passed my 1st & 2nd driver assessments and the MMI and each time I received an invite to the next stage within 2 days. I've been told the next stage is a DMI, but haven't received an invite two weeks later? Should I be worried?

GWR, 19/20 talent pool at Plymouth.

Not really. Recruitment request your DMI and then it's down to the driver managers for your chosen depot allocating time when two of them can sit the interview/s. Some parts of the process seem to move quicker than others. Ultimately it gives you time to prepare so see it as a positive (although I'm sure like most, you're keen to get it done and find out if you've made it)

Status
Not open for further replies.