• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
To the internal candidates in this feed and people who work within the railways, I live within easy access of Bristol, Reading or oxford. Do you think it’s worth me telling HR I am happy with either of these 3 or shall I stay with the first choice?!?!
You can only be considered for one depot at a time and have to have a DMI at the depot you've applied to. It matters not what you tell them. Stick with the one closest and most convenient to you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris1982

Hi all. New to this thread but been on here for a while. Got my date through a few weeks ago for stage 1 in Exeter for October applied for Plymouth talent pool. I know other people that applied same time as me for Plymouth aswell and have already done stage 1 and have dates for stage 2. Random that they had theirs quicker and their stage 1 was in Plymouth where as mine is in Exeter. Could anyone shed any light on this?

Chuggintons

I failed my DMI for the Exeter 19/20 pool back in April.
Does the 6 month rule before reapplying start from when I failed the DMI? Meaning I can't apply for the Exeter 20/21 pool? Or is it from the original application date way back in December 2018?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I failed my DMI for the Exeter 19/20 pool back in April.
Does the 6 month rule before reapplying start from when I failed the DMI? Meaning I can't apply for the Exeter 20/21 pool? Or is it from the original application date way back in December 2018?
From when you failed

RobG

Hi there, been a member for a couple of months after failing the initial tests for a job with Freightliner and joining the forum for a bit of advice. Had a notification come through by email last night for vacancies with GWR out of Bristol. I did the initial application and questionnaire last night (while on holiday in Sicily lol) and this morning I’ve received another email to say I’ve passed and inviting me to complete an online assessment. Just wondering what to expect from this now as I’m a bit nervous to be honest. I took 3 1/2 years from when I first started looking at becoming a train driver for the Freightliner job to come up, so I was gutted when I didn’t pass the initial questionnaire. Now I’ve got to this point with GWR, I just want to stand the best chance of progressing as GWR and Freightliner are the only 2 rail companies within 60 minutes of where I live and obviously I have to wait 6 months before I can apply again if I fail.

EBlackadder

It's a situational judgement exercise over about 20 questions. Keep safety at the forefront of your mind, followed by customer service and performance. You should be alright. It isn't timed. Read the statement very carefully.

RobG

It's a situational judgement exercise over about 20 questions. Keep safety at the forefront of your mind, followed by customer service and performance. You should be alright. It isn't timed. Read the statement very carefully.

Thanks for the reply. That was the part I did last night. There was 19 questions that gave you a scenario and then 4 possible choices. You had to select the most and least likely. Now I’ve done that, I’ve had an email inviting me to complete an online questionnaire. Any ideas what this entails?

EBlackadder

Ahh right, sorry.

Well, the next bit is basically comparing two sets of letters and digits and saying if they're the same or different.

I really can't make it any simpler than that.

I found it the easiest part of the process. I actually panicked that id missed something.

RobG

Ok that’s great, puts me at ease a bit more. Will complete it when I get in front of the laptop. Thanks for the reply.

UTC123

Any idea what's after comparing digits?

Worried about doing any OPC assessments after passing them all, already. Thanks a lot for any help

Liam00086

Any idea what's after comparing digits?

Worried about doing any OPC assessments after passing them all, already. Thanks a lot for any help
After digits it’s the assessment centre, If you already passed them within the time limit then you won’t have to do them again

Tommytootoot

Tommy how long did you have to wait for your DMI feedback?
Mate, It was a bit of a mare, I only had it a couple of week ago and that was after 5 or 6 phone calls and god knows how many emails. I had the interview back in Feb and it only came though start of June after a lot of chasing.

Devon156

Mate, It was a bit of a mare, I only had it a couple of week ago and that was after 5 or 6 phone calls and god knows how many emails. I had the interview back in Feb and it only came though start of June after a lot of chasing.
How detailed was the feedback? If I have to wait as long I should get mine in August.

Kittman10

Ok that’s great, puts me at ease a bit more. Will complete it when I get in front of the laptop. Thanks for the reply.
Hello
I did the initial assessment Friday night as well. I have not had a reply yet.
When did you get an email was it via the first group portal.
I think they pulled the applications some time Saturday they must have got loads of applications.
Cheers

MattP

Hi everyone,
I’ve applied for the GWT Bristol pool and passed the SJT (1st online assessment). Can anyone tell me what the 2nd test is? I don’t like surprises! It’s hard to find info relating to GWT specifically!
Cheers

Tony43

Hi everyone,
I’ve applied for the GWT Bristol pool and passed the SJT (1st online assessment). Can anyone tell me what the 2nd test is? I don’t like surprises! It’s hard to find info relating to GWT specifically!
Cheers
its an alphanumerical test two sets of numbers/letters and symbols you have to indicate if they are the same or different ,40 questions 5min time limit

Stigy

Established Member
its an alphanumerical test two sets of numbers/letters and symbols you have to indicate if they are the same or different ,40 questions 5min time limit
Worth noting also that it’s actually a really simple test (unlike numerical reasoning tests for some roles!) and is easy enough to complete all 40 questions.

Tony43

Ag
Worth noting also that it’s actually a really simple test (unlike numerical reasoning tests for some roles!) and is easy enough to complete all 40 questions.
Agreed completed with about 1 min 30 spare

RobG

Hello
I did the initial assessment Friday night as well. I have not had a reply yet.
When did you get an email was it via the first group portal.
I think they pulled the applications some time Saturday they must have got loads of applications.
Cheers

After the application I filled out the initial assessment straight away, then received the email for the online questionnaire on Saturday morning. It came through on my email address as well as through the first group website.

Yes, must have had a lot of applications if they’ve closed the vacancy that soon!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I'd suggest paying attention to detail, as they haven't been GWT for about 15years

RobG

I'd suggest paying attention to detail, as they haven't been GWT for about 15years

GWT, as in great western trains? I know that they come under the first group, but I thought they were re-branding in anticipation of the modernisation of the fleet etc. to GWR? The new trains I’ve seen going through the stations have got the GWR logo on the side of them.

RobG

They are GWR. Not GWT. Might be worth paying attention to that

Yeah I know, I questioned GWT as that was what you said in your last post. The new trains that go through my local station have got GWR on the side of them. Slightly confused now though as you said they haven’t been GWT (GWR) for about 15 years now?

Stigy

Established Member
They are GWR. Not GWT. Might be worth paying attention to that
They’re trading as Great Western Railway, in the same way SWR trade under South Western Railway, however their company name is First Greater Western Trains Ltd, I believe? Like SWR is First/MTR South Western Trains Ltd. That’s just me being pedantic though as everyone knows them as GWR anyway.

PearoTheHero

Hi all. New to this thread but been on here for a while. Got my date through a few weeks ago for stage 1 in Exeter for October applied for Plymouth talent pool. I know other people that applied same time as me for Plymouth aswell and have already done stage 1 and have dates for stage 2. Random that they had theirs quicker and their stage 1 was in Plymouth where as mine is in Exeter. Could anyone shed any light on this?

Chris I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Others might be able to shed some more science behind it but the application process is a long drawn out process and it occasionally lacks a little logic. I applied the same time as others but mine seemed to take a little longer to get through however, during the gaps I was able to use to do more research etc and I'm now in the pool. After my stage 2 I thought I was ready to interview but I've taken onboard lots of advice on here and elsewhere in the 7 weeks between that and my DMI and I had some really positive feedback on the day about how much I knew. The location might not be ideal but I'm guessing it just boils down to having some spare places in Exeter. Do bear in mind that GWR do not carry out these tests and the only people you will see there on that day will be those competing for the same jobs as you.

For the record I applied early Dec 2018, S1 mid April, S2 Mid May, DMI End June.

Hopefully you'll be in Swindon before you know it ;)

RobG

PearoTheHero, given that you’re only just in the pool and have gone through all of this recently, can you give me some advice on what to study up on? You said that you used the time well, which worked in your favour, I too want to be as prepared as I can. I ordered the how2be book last night which should be here in the next couple of days and also thought it would be a good idea to read up on the history of GWR, what trains they use, load capacity, routes, stations etc. but any advice on what else I should be looking at would be great.

Also, after taking the online assessments, how long did it take for you to get to the next part, what will I have to do next and in what order? I did the application and SJT on Friday, got the email on Saturday for the online questionnaire and completed that on Sunday, so now just waiting to hear what’s next and when. Thanks in advance.

PearoTheHero

Hi RobG
Timescales are at the bottom of my essay. Most (though not all)have found this process to be very long and drawn out.

If I was to offer any guidance at your stage I would be learning all about the Dot Concentration Test and practicing that. No point learning about GWR just yet as it could be 6 months before you even deal with anyone outside of the independent assessment team (The OPC).

Daydr3am3r

Rob

As Pearo stated, forget about the company for now and put all of your efforts into swatting up on stage 1 and 2 assessments. All of the info you need are on threads on this forum, especially the link to the Group Bourdon test that is pinned at the top!!

Status
Not open for further replies.