• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Well fingers crossed it happens, I was originally in the pool for reading but they decided to move me to Paddington dont know why and I agreed.

A course for Paddington trainees started fairly recently.

Recently as in this year? I remember recruitment telling me that they already filled up a course starting in 2021 and that the next possible course could be april/june 2022

There are 2 courses that have started this year with Pad trainees on them, although I don't think it's any more than 4 people in total

TheGoldfish

The courses don’t appear to be exclusive to any particular depot … at least my course and the courses since have had a mix of Pad, Reading and Oxford drivers.. although they all took place at the Reading Driver Academy … so guessing it’s more regional than dept specific and that its a similar set up in the west ?

Nonuts

How do I apply to be a train driver ??
Depending on where you live, keep an eye out on the relevant train operating companies recruitment sites. First group careers, GTR, TPE ect... Being honest there's unlikely to much (if any) recruitment in the immediate future as the recovery from covid and the transition to GBrailways is implemented.

I have heard that that there is course planned for HEX (Heathrow Express) drivers later this year and that they will come from the main talent pools. I don't know any other details and I don't want to build anyone's hopes up unnecessarily but the information has come from a reliable source

Jaytrains

I have heard that that there is course planned for HEX (Heathrow Express) drivers later this year and that they will come from the main talent pools. I don't know any other details and I don't want to build anyone's hopes up unnecessarily but the information has come from a reliable source

Did they say how many drivers they need or positions available?

Kaiwats

Sounds like good news to me

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
No they didn't I'm afraid. It was just the one course that was mentioned. Currently class sizes are around 8

Not sure the course would be solely HeX though.

To give an idea of the scale of the backlog caused by Covid, I think there's about 150 trainees with GWR currently, some who have been in that position for 2+ years

Not sure the course would be solely HeX though.

To give an idea of the scale of the backlog caused by Covid, I think there's about 150 trainees with GWR currently, some who have been in that position for 2+ years
I was told specifically it was a HeX only course and would be pretty much the same as the standard drivers course. I can only assume with the easing of travel restrictions plus natural wastage there is a need to recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.