• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Manager Reading Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

168lover

Hi all,
Recently applied for the above position and have got as far as the assessment centre stage which I will do in a few weeks time. Just wondering what routes and traction train managers based at Reading sign.

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Reading - Paddington
North Cots
South Cots
Possibly Bristol

Traction is
IET
Possibly Turbos
Possibly HSTs

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Reading - Paddington
North Cots
South Cots
Possibly Bristol

Traction is
IET
Possibly Turbos
Possibly HSTs
Believe they do indeed sign Turbos
At least some sign Reading Conductor routes for cross cover (Reading-Gatwick; Reading-Basingstoke & Maidenhead-Marlow) but whether a new entrant would sign these I’m not sure

CharlesR

Do Reading sign Bristol? I only tend to see them predominantly operating Cheltenham’s.

tlionhart

Yes they do.
I’m not sure if all of them do at the moment but I certainly know a handful that do.

Hi all.
Just wanted to jump on the thread as I've also applied for the train manager role in Reading. Can anyone let me know what to expect at the assessment centre day please? I really want to do well and prep as best I can.
Thank you in advance.
Jay

TM Hopeful

Hi all.
Just wanted to jump on the thread as I've also applied for the train manager role in Reading. Can anyone let me know what to expect at the assessment centre day please? I really want to do well and prep as best I can.
Thank you in advance.
Jay

Do you mean the first one, ie the testing day, or the second one ie the group exercises and final interview if successful in the morning?

I did the testing day last month and all you can really do is to keep trying the practice material that they send as attachments with the assessment centre email. These are only snippets, but will prepare you for what will be expected of you on the day. The ticketing paper is a bit more in depth that the practice material, they throw in railcards with varying validity etc and having to interpret an information table to discount prices correctly for the varying railcards. The concentration test will be Symbols rather than letters as in the practice paper, I think it’s 3 or 4 sides of A4 for each part of the concentration test and every so often the examiner will tell you to go onto the next page once a certain time has elapsed.
The key is to work quickly but also accurately. It’s not a problem if you don’t finish, what they want to see is a decent amount completed, but accurately, rather than everything finished but littered with mistakes.

Trackboy

Does anyone know what is the current London allowance if your work for as TM at Paddington?

Thanks TM.
It's the very first one, so all the material has been emailed to me to practice with. I just wasnt sure if it would be an assessment & interview or something like that. And the info regarding group exercise and final interview is a great help as well. Really appreciate it. How did you get on?
Do you mean the first one, ie the testing day, or the second one ie the group exercises and final interview if successful in the morning?

I did the testing day last month and all you can really do is to keep trying the practice material that they send as attachments with the assessment centre email. These are only snippets, but will prepare you for what will be expected of you on the day. The ticketing paper is a bit more in depth that the practice material, they throw in railcards with varying validity etc and having to interpret an information table to discount prices correctly for the varying railcards. The concentration test will be Symbols rather than letters as in the practice paper, I think it’s 3 or 4 sides of A4 for each part of the concentration test and every so often the examiner will tell you to go onto the next page once a certain time has elapsed.
The key is to work quickly but also accurately. It’s not a problem if you don’t finish, what they want to see is a decent amount completed, but accurately, rather than everything finished but littered with mistakes.

TM Hopeful

There’s no interview on the first assessment day (I’m assuming that it’s the same whichever station you’re applying for, I applied for Paddington) it’s literally just the testing. I felt fairly confident coming out of the testing, I found the concentration test was probably the toughest for me personally, some pages I got over halfway down the page, some pages I bearly got halfway through! I finished the test where you have to answer the questions about the text from the railway rule book (sorry can’t remember what it was called) and I think I was on the last page of the ticketing test when time ran out. I didn’t get stressed by the ticketing or railway rules testing, I felt pressured on the concentration test because I felt that I wasn’t getting far enough on each page. Obviously wasn’t a problem though as I got an email that evening saying I’d passed! Be thorough on the railway rules passages test though as the answers sometimes aren’t literally lifted from the text passage and you need to read between the lines a bit to select the right answer, some of them look correct at a glance but on closer inspection will be slightly incorrect. The secret is to work steadily without rushing on all of them, don’t worry about finishing, worry about being accurate, but at the same time be aware that you need to work efficiently if that’s any help.
Just waiting for the final assessment/interview now, I was offered a date within about a week of my first assessment, but I couldn’t make it as it gave me six days notice and I’m rostered for my current job a month in advance. Hoping they get back to me soon and I might have to have a “cold” if they offer me another date where I’m supposed to be working, as it’s probably pretty easy for them to just overlook me and go onto someone else if I can’t make the next date. Paddington and Reading current adverts both close tomorrow so hopefully I can get slotted in for the final assessment with the next bunch from the current application fingers crossed!

TM Hopeful

There’s a thread elsewhere if you search through the forum that covers the format for the final assessment/interview and lists some of the sort of questions that you will likely get asked in the interview. I haven’t got a link for it unfortunately but you will find it if you travel through a few pages

CharlesR

Thank for that. Do you know if they get sat and sun allowwnce. If yes how much is that?

Thanks

Saturday is normal rate Sunday is around 24 per hour which is about 2-3 pound more than normal rate. You work a 35 hour week and overtime is wildly available (especially this time of year and Sundays)

TM Hopeful

Just had my stage 2 assessment and interview date through so will let you know how I get on and share any tips in a couple of weeks!

Trackboy

Just had my stage 2 assessment and interview date through so will let you know how I get on and share any tips in a couple of weeks!

Thanks mate will look forward to that.

Saturday is normal rate Sunday is around 24 per hour which is about 2-3 pound more than normal rate. You work a 35 hour week and overtime is wildly available (especially this time of year and Sundays)

Thanks for that. It seems odd they don't get London allowance. Just £3 more for sunday.

CharlesR

Thanks for that. It seems odd they don't get London allowance. Just £3 more for sunday.

Not surprised myself to be honest with you, the salary isn’t exactly bad. Bus drivers only get at most a pound more for weekend work so it works out well in comparison.

rob wright

Thanks for that. It seems odd they don't get London allowance. Just £3 more for sunday.[/QUOTE]

Sunday rate is time and a 1/4 so more than £3 extra

Good luck on the assessments guys try and practise the answers in the list and search star based interview for tips on how to answer

Status
Not open for further replies.