• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie M.

Hi all,

I would like to ask a few questions as I might apply for a job with GWR for Train Manager when one pops up.

1. Do you change crew en route?
2. How often do you work early/lates?
3. Do they cater for those from outside the area not to work really late/ really early trains?
4. How many rest days are there and
5. Would there be times where you travel to and from your depot on shift to work a service?

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
1) Yes

2) very roughly a week of early and a week of lates.

3) No, you have to ensure your there for duty at the set time no matter how far you have to travel - although some depots do have late or early links but you are unlikely to go into those straight away, early link have long lists of people waiting.

4) roughly 2 a week, with a long weekend every 4.

5) Yes, but you still need to be at your depot to start with in order to collect equipment and book on.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
1) Yes

2) very roughly a week of early and a week of lates.

3) No, you have to ensure your there for duty at the set time no matter how far you have to travel - although some depots do have late or early links but you are unlikely to go into those straight away, early link have long lists of people waiting.

4) roughly 2 a week, with a long weekend every 4.

5) Yes, but you still need to be at your depot to start with in order to collect equipment and book on.

Ref no 4 - TMs are still on a 5day week, one RD per week and a week of RDs every 6

tiptoptaff

Established Member
You will not be catered for if you live far away. You will be asked in interview how you will make it to work outside of public transport hours and will be expected to be able to make all book on and book off times. If you're not prepared to do that I'm afraid the job isn't for you

Charlie M.

You will not be catered for if you live far away. You will be asked in interview how you will make it to work outside of public transport hours and will be expected to be able to make all book on and book off times. If you're not prepared to do that I'm afraid the job isn't for you
I am prepared as it’s only 39bminutes down the motorway to Bristol, and to Worcester. I also have hourly train links to Bristol from 5am to around 11pm if my duties fell inside that bracket.

Thanks for your comments.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
M
I am prepared as it’s only 39bminutes down the motorway to Bristol, and to Worcester. I also have hourly train links to Bristol from 5am to around 11pm if my duties fell inside that bracket.

Thanks for your comments.
Many of the duties at Bristol don't fall in those brackets. Ditto for Worcester

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Remember the M32 is and will be a total nightmare so forget the google eta of 32 minutes, also Bristol GWR don’t have dedicated staff parking (you get it free with a permit, but not dedicated like XC) so again that will take time to find plus walk from where every you’ve parked to the booking on point on P5.

I think Bristol HSS have a stupidly early 03XX book on , likewise a stupidly late 013X book off

Driving into Bristol from and to those is going to be a magical mystery tour.

Wilco34

I have the 2nd assessment centre tomorrow for the Bristol TM Train Manager position and live in Cardiff. Have my own transport so hoping this doesn't go against me as the commute doesn't bother me.

Wilco34

That said, i'm hopeful to get as far as the interview stage to even discuss that as i know there's the group assessment to get through first. Have been following various threads though and hope to have picked up some good info along the way

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I have the 2nd assessment centre tomorrow for the Bristol TM Train Manager position and live in Cardiff. Have my own transport so hoping this doesn't go against me as the commute doesn't bother me.

I did Newport to Bristol for five years, hence the experience of the M32.

However being Cardiff you have the 0136 off Temple Meads 1C36 (Paddington to Cardiff) to catch Mon-Sat. However the first train into Bristol isn’t until 0721 (0637 off Cardiff).

Charlie M.

I’m up the M5 atcually, not as bad as any other place getting into Bristol. I am prepared to drive in as early and as late as required, but also using public transport where possible.

M1ckeyc0p

Can anyone please tell me the shift timings for Train Manager at Paddington Station? Also what would be the current salary expectations. I have applied for this position and due to attend a test centre next week. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.